[4E] Rumble's "Slim" Framework

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Re: [4E] An Attempt to Return the Framework to its Classic F

Post by danielcollins »

Maybe it's just the way barre made the tokens....

we are using build 84, FW 18

tokens: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11178616/PC%2010-4-11.rar

campaign file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11178616/H3%20F ... ckup.cmpgn

The campaign file includes most of those tokens and some we are experimenting on...trying different stuff to get them to work. In the end we might need to just start coding again from scratch :(

I'm going to do some more mucking around with them and will add anything i find out.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

at first i thought it might have been a gm/player issue, as all tokens are working fine for the gm(s). so i started a 2nd instance of maptool joined the server and everything still worked fine.

After a lot of stuffing around I have replicated the error. It was difficult to detect as we had changed from build 83 to 84 mid session in the hope it would fix things. Tokens dragged in under 83, would not extended rest (when i was GM) or open the reference sheet when using 84 (when i was connected as player). This had disguised the error. When i had been connecting as a player i was using the original "joreb initu" token (dragged in build 83) and the reference sheet was not opening...and hence not causing problems.

I have replicated the error using "joreb initu 70" token, dragged in under build 84, and connecting as player. AS SOON AS THE REFERENCE SHEET OPENS, TEXT OUTPUT IS SUPPRESSED FOR PLAYERS. For the GM it still works fine.

Hope this is clear enough for you to understand, and specific enough for you to do an easy bug fix. We aren't really keen on the reference sheet anyway....is there an easy way we can turn it off for good?

EDIT: All above refers to tokens on the Default map

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Huh. That's interesting - I didn't have the sheet open when I tested; maybe that hid the error from me. I expect there's an error somewhere or an abort() call that's halting output between refreshing the sheet and actually displaying it. I shall look into it.

Anyway, you should be able to turn off the sheet by going to the Options tab in the Edit Character macro and unchecking "Run From Character Sheet" (or whatever it says, i can't remember the exact wording). That is supposed to disable the sheet from popping up. You'd still be able to manually open it using F2 or hitting the Quick Sheet button, but otherwise it should stay out of the way.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

Thanks Rumble. I'll test it tonight and report back.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

Yeah turning off the sheet fixes the problem. And since my players seem to not like it then all is good. Two birds with one stone!

Thanks for your usual speedy reply.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

No problem at all! I was not able to replicate the error, unfortunately, even with sheets active and so forth, so I don't know exactly what caused it; forgive me for hoping it was something you did! :D

If other people run into it, please post here to let me know. If it's a systemic bug, I'd like to find it and fix it.

Kryx
Cave Troll

Post by Kryx »

Praise for your framework advances:
wuuuuuut. Your update to slim is everything that made me go back to v5.... Blaaaaah.
You tracked conditions and everything! The UI looks AWESOME. Especially the quick reference sheet. Looking at conditions in that GUI = AWESOME.

Ugggggh I'm going to have to look at this framework again. Anything I should be aware of before diving into it? Are conditions limited at all? Damage looks automated still.

Seriously this thing looks freakin' awesome! You shoulda told me about the changes in the v5 thread!!!

Bugs:
I'd suggest the same fix for the green buttons - their text should be white.
Also the convert from V5 button doesn't seem to work 100%. It imports it and everything, but the power buttons are mostly useless.
Getting this during import:
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1 error executing expression plainName = substring(plainName, 0, indexOf(plainName, "("))).
and this when I try to use it:
Illegal argument type java.lang.String, expecting java.math.BigDecimal
Though it is still doing the damage....
Worst case I don't mind fixing all the monsters if this framework is as BA as it looks.

After starting from scratch on a character I'm getting some errors:
Whenever I add values to the attack (say 12 to overall or on each target manually). Damage seems to be doing it fine. am I doing anything wrong?
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1 error executing expression plainName = substring(plainName, 0, indexOf(plainName, "("))).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I'll fix the white text bug (that is not an issue with MapTool b76, where I do the original dev, but sometime after that the green color got a lot darker. It actually makes life easier, though it means that the framework will have to actually get with the times and be a b86 framework).

On the other stuff, you'll have to explain a bit more: what exactly do you do to get the errors you quote? If you can list precise steps, that would be very helpful (like 1. Add token from v5 to Slim. 2. Click Convert from V5. 3...)

Kryx
Cave Troll

Post by Kryx »

It actually starts to snowball. Once I get the initial error I start getting the same error with other things that previously did not cause the error until I close maptools. I'll see if I can isolate the original error...

Lets start with the Pale Reaver. Take this token from V5: http://marklenser.com/DnD/Rumble_Tokens ... aver.rptok

I drag this on to the map. Click "Convert from V5" - select NPC and everything goes smoothly. I then click on blood drain - target a PC. The attack goes off - it misses, but below the attack I now have that error listed above. Deadly Mane works fine, but if I try to image of life I get the same error. Insubstantial transformation works though.
This same error is being shown if I use any power - say deadly mane and add to the overall attack or attack for each mob selected.

Now I can take a PC from my camp - http://marklenser.com/DnD/Rumble_Tokens/Oryk.rptok
I can drop him on the map and he converts to V5 fine, but if I try to use Overwhelming Strike then I get the Big Decimal error:
Illegal argument type java.lang.String, expecting java.math.BigDecimal
Bond of retribution I get:
Unknown JSON type "NULL" in function "json.toStrProp".
I got similar errors when starting from scratch as well - no converting.

If I can be more specific or re-create it in a different way to test then please let me know. Using your latest Slim - final 18.

EDIT: Close burst power is not automatically targeting enemies. It also is not applying conditions when I manually target them. not sure if this is a short coming of slim or if it's a bug.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Well, that's unfortunate. I'll see if I can figure it out. When you say "starting from scratch," do you mean "importing the compendium entry" or hand-entering the whole thing?

On the targeting and condition stuff, there's no auto targeting in this framework, and it will only apply conditions if you have custom code in the power to do so. If it's not applying conditions when you do have custom code, then there's a problem in the condition code somewhere.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Okay, figured out the errors.

First, the conversion macro is far from perfect. You will (or you should) make sure to go through every power on a converted token and confirm that it is correct. The pale reaver ran into issues with recharge values (for some reason, the converter wanted to give empty recharge values to the powers). Any power that shows up with empty parentheses in the label should be double checked and cleaned up.

For the BigDecimal error, the conversion macro was not putting a 0 in the value for "PP" (power points) if the character had none, and was instead making it an empty string. Since all powers are checked for a power point cost, if the value is a string, the math error is thrown. I've made a couple changes, but most of the burden will be on you to double check your powers for accuracy, just like the macro recommends.

Kryx
Cave Troll

Post by Kryx »

To clarify: Starting from scratch = take a toke and then import from summary/powers, etc.
I've been checking the powers - missed the recharge, but it was happening on other stuff - just used it as an example.

Is there a way to add conditions? For instance I used Attack Bonus/Penalty and Defense Bonus/Penalty in V5. Do I just use Mod_Bonus1/Mod_Penalty1 now and then add it in manually when I attack? I assume you removed the code to apply them automatically? :( If so it would be nice to have them still labeled accordingly as they are pretty common.
Oh, but I got Paladin_Sanction to apply though - so that fixes that.

Not sure if you updated or not. So I'll wait for those changes to test.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Just to answer one question out of the midst of all that - there is no code to add or track conditions automatically (or at least, in the same way they're tracked in the other framework). That's not part of the design for this one.

Kryx
Cave Troll

Post by Kryx »

How soon are you planning on updating?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Kryx wrote:How soon are you planning on updating?

Erm. I'd kinda forgotten about it. I don't remember where I was with the fixes, so there's no ETA at the moment. I'll look at it tonight and see what I've done.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”