Veggiesama's Framework (D&D 4e) -- Old Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

neofax
Great Wyrm

Re: Veggiesama's Framework (D&D 4e)

Post by neofax »

You need to put the 1d6 for crit and change the 20 to 18 for High crit weapons.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

neofax wrote:You need to put the 1d6 for crit and change the 20 to 18 for High crit weapons.
Wait, what? High crit just means you do an extra weapon damage on a crit, not crit on a 18.

DDK
Cave Troll

Post by DDK »

Yeah, the problem I'm having is that as a magical high crit weapon, it does +1d6 on a crit for the magical plus and +1d12 as a high crit weapon.

If I put 1d12+1d6 in the extra crit damage that works, but I'm not sure if veggie's framework already takes the 1d6 into account because it's a +1 weapon, since there's a modifier to tell the framework it's a +1 weapon.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

DDK wrote:Yeah, the problem I'm having is that as a magical high crit weapon, it does +1d6 on a crit for the magical plus and +1d12 as a high crit weapon.

If I put 1d12+1d6 in the extra crit damage that works, but I'm not sure if veggie's framework already takes the 1d6 into account because it's a +1 weapon, since there's a modifier to tell the framework it's a +1 weapon.
It does not, since different weapons can have different sized bonus dice (see Vicious Weapon, Staff of Ruin).
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

Radiating Gnome
Kobold

Post by Radiating Gnome »

Total Noob question -- I've been using MT for a little while, trying to ramp it up for online use with macros and Veggie's framework, and I'm having some sort of problem. Using .b59 and the framework 2.1.

I've created an NPC token, then created a PC token. Input all values by hand. Then I try to make the PC attack the NPC. And that's where I seem to be having a breakdown.

The wizard for the attack asks me first whether I want to use a text field or select to pick the target. I pick select, but in the next window all I get for targets is:

--------- : ----------

What have I missed? Is there another way to set the target?

-rg

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

First, can the PC see the NPC? Check by using the player view. Second, Do you have primary target checked along with primary attack? If so, post the cmpgn and I will look it over.

Saagael
Giant

Post by Saagael »

Do you have primary target checked along with primary attack?
I would guess it is this. If there weren't any targets in sight it would say "There aren't any targets in sight!" and cancel the attack. There is a weird bug in the framework that causes this: you have your primary target checked, but you don't have "Use Primary Attack" checked, and unless you have an attack, it never asks you for a target. You get the dialog box, but all it shows is "------.------"

Short solution: always make sure you have the "primary attack" checked. If you need to use the targeting feature without an attack (declaring marks, quarries, curses, etc) I use a primary attack with "ignore damage" checked, and disregard the attack on the macro output.

Radiating Gnome
Kobold

Post by Radiating Gnome »

That was the problem, just those check boxes. Thanks!

DDK
Cave Troll

Post by DDK »

What makes Veggiesama's slow?

I hear a lot of people claiming it is Veggiesama's that slows down games but I'm struggling to understand why. All it really does is parse text and send text to the channel, right? How is it slowing things down, exactly, and with Veggie seemingly absent, how would one go about fixing it?

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Veggie uses a lot of JSON's that get read, converted, wrote, re-read, re-converted, re-wrote and so on depending on how many attack rolls you make. So each read/convert/write takes up a chunk of memory. This is what slows it down. The easiest way to fix it is to re-write the code to grab the JSON once then run thru all of the attack/damage/effects once and then spit out the text to chat and write the value back to the token. I started on this as well as some other fixes, but was sidetracked trying to get the Character Tool updated to make all of the newer character builds for Veggie's framework.

Saagael
Giant

Post by Saagael »

I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but I get a lot of slow-down when using the state manager macro. To work around that I've just started double clicking the tokens and checking off their states in the properties box for the token. It speeds things up a lot, from what I've seen.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Yes, it is known. It is because you are writing a HUGE JSON array that has to be converted to a string.

DDK
Cave Troll

Post by DDK »

I'm trying (and struggling) to teach myself Javascript so if there is any grunt work that needs to be done that would help you out and isn't too complex, I'm more than willing to do it.

I've tried the other frameworks and although there are some things I like, for the most part I still prefer Veggie's. So if there's any way to make it work better, I'm all for that.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

I have looked at the code and have it all in text files on my PC. The biggest problem I have is I prefer playing too much and spend most of my free time doing this when I could contribute to make this code better. If you would like to help DDK, let me know. The bigger problem is soon B60 will be out and 1.4 will be on its way with real javascipt coding. So we can A) re-write Veggie's or B) wait and do it when 1.4 comes. My suggestion is re-write now. Just need to find someone that can take Veg's and combine with DeviantNulls for the HTML/CSS. Which would be great for DM's having all of the PC's stats and Passives on one frame.

DDK
Cave Troll

Post by DDK »

Like I said, I'm happy to help in any way I can. I'm trying to learn JS, HTML, XML and a few others at the moment in preparation for a course I start next semester to learn it all. So whatever I don't know, I'll endeavour to figure out.

On the matter of combining DeviantNull's with Veggies, I'd have to ask why. There's really nothing in DN's that I like. I like Rumble's automatic hit point deductions and conditions but that's about all I'd take from that.

The thing that makes Veggie's the most attractive option is that it does away with all the unnecessary information and just gives you exactly what you need to play, in the form of nice, big, shiny buttons.

Nobody needs to see their character sheet or know their stats or know their character's trained skills and whatnot. It's all superfluous information which DN's wastes a lot of screen real estate displaying. Not to mention that you have to sift through a large amount of extraneous information to find a tiny little button to click to use a power.

Rumble's does a lot of things automatically which I like, but it also requires that you figure everything out ahead of time and input it as the character. And it has some really weird burst/blast template thing that I'm yet to figure out.

Not to disparage against them or their work, I'm just indicating why I prefer Veggie's. It focuses on what people need to have right in front of them during play, which is their skill checks, ability checks, saving throws, hit points, and powers all as buttons which target specific creatures.

I like the way I can layout Veggies, too: http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj51 ... ery/ss.png

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”