Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Ghiolekk
Giant

Re: Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Post by Ghiolekk »

magnavox wrote:I've noticed as I've started building tokens with their powers that now I'm getting a lot of errors like this:

On another subject. Is there a discussion topic with advice on how to properly build powers for this framework that I missed? I could use a hand with the logic for some of these powers. The basic powers that just cause damage are easy. Some of the leader roll powers that apply multiple buffs and debuffs to allies and enemies can get a little daunting, and hard to troubleshoot, particularly since they seem to break the campaign if I get them wrong :(
Well actually to build up new powers for PC/NPC tokens is really easy these days, given that the FW is nearly flawless, very descriptive with a wide range of conditions to track and the parser minimizes the daunting task to the minimum.
No there is not such sort of an cademy building powers, except for the pdf manual supported by Rumble.
To make your life easier, I have added these two leader tokens to experiment with, or to use them as a self power explanatory. One is a combat cleric
Dregoth 25.rptok
(267.2 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
and the other a pacifist
Urthdar Justicar 25.rptok
(340.19 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Have fun.

magnavox
Kobold

Post by magnavox »

Thanks Ghiolekk That was a great help.

BTW Rumble. I've noticed as I've been building my player's invoker that many invoker powers have a target of one, two, or three targets. Not sure how difficult it is to add that to the base campaign logic. but I would suggest it as an addition. It would save having to make 2-3 linked powers to cover it.

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

magnavox wrote:Thanks Ghiolekk That was a great help.

BTW Rumble. I've noticed as I've been building my player's invoker that many invoker powers have a target of one, two, or three targets. Not sure how difficult it is to add that to the base campaign logic. but I would suggest it as an addition. It would save having to make 2-3 linked powers to cover it.

Finally, one that I can answer and be useful! :)

This is actually already covered - for instance, building the Ranger Twin Strike power allows you to select multiple targets (hold down the Shift key and click on all targets) and then in the power dialog there is a drop-down for the number of attacks. So, if you choose two targets to attack you can select all the victims and roll one attack for each victim, or you can select one poor soul and shoot them twice.
The Cyberwolfe
----------------
Them: "Name one thing a PC can do that a Mac can't!"
Me: "Right-click."

magnavox
Kobold

Post by magnavox »

thecyberwolfe wrote:
magnavox wrote:Thanks Ghiolekk That was a great help.

Finally, one that I can answer and be useful! :)

This is actually already covered - for instance, building the Ranger Twin Strike power allows you to select multiple targets (hold down the Shift key and click on all targets) and then in the power dialog there is a drop-down for the number of attacks. So, if you choose two targets to attack you can select all the victims and roll one attack for each victim, or you can select one poor soul and shoot them twice.

That's true for twin strike that allows you to make two attacks against up to two targets. However these powers mostly allow you to make a single attack against between 1 and (in some cases) up to 5 targets. However, your advice is appreciated. I wondered whether you could use a single target power to attack several targets by shift-selecting them.

monstermanual
Kobold

Post by monstermanual »

Forgive me if this is addressed somewhere, but I couldn't find any mention of it in the thread, readme, or known issues list.

The Spellbook isn't working for me. New powers I create and check as being in the Spellbook don't show in the list when I Manage Spellbook. They move to the Spellbook category on the token, and aren't usable, but don't populate in the list. Is there something I'm missing, or some possible problem on my end? I'm using 1.3.b84. I'd really like to start using this framework for my Mage-including party so I'd love to figure this out :|

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

Yes,you can select as many targets and use whatever power you want to.When using the burst token however make sure you deselect the bulls eye and the burst token or it will error,sometimes they become targets and you need to hold the shift key down to deselect them or all targets disappear.It's a matter of trail and error,cause I've actually created powers differently,but it still applies what I'm trying to accomplish because the framework doesn't.Linking powers sometimes works or creating several macros of the same type to establish those multiple encounter/essential powers.I also have a separate spot on the character sheet of macros to use the powers from magical items.

magnavox
Kobold

Post by magnavox »

By the way, How does one deal with auras? My immediate thought is to just handle it manually. making sure to apply the damages or bonuses/penalties by hand. Have I missed some function in Maptool or the framework that automates this process?

magnavox
Kobold

Post by magnavox »

By the way, How does one deal with auras? My immediate thought is to just handle it manually. making sure to apply the damages or bonuses/penalties by hand. Have I missed some function in Maptool or the framework that automates this process?

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

As far as I know maptools doesn't have any function to track auras,area marks of that sort,so with the framework I just put the aura down and apply modifiers when needed.

Ghiolekk
Giant

Post by Ghiolekk »

magnavox wrote:By the way, How does one deal with auras? My immediate thought is to just handle it manually. making sure to apply the damages or bonuses/penalties by hand. Have I missed some function in Maptool or the framework that automates this process?
Make a power macro with the aura.
Firstly as a reminder for yourself that the creature/NPC has an aura with the numerical extension of the radius (e.g.I Bring Havoc Aura 3)
Secondly, create that power macro according to its description. Most auras apply damage or condition to the enemies. This is the easy part. You just place in the macro an attack that is auto and does X condition or Y damage. Most of these will be if an enemy starts /ends his turn inside the aura. So in this case for the condition termination you place the target's beginning or end turn.
The less easier thing is dealing with allies and auras. Most of the times I place a certain script in the effect text, or some other times I place the condition in the effects panel and by holding SHIFT + right click I select the given allies within the aura.
Also, make reminders (condition) your friens while creating any power that has a bizzare effect or a condition
e.g. enemies cannot use any healing via healing surge when they begin their turn inside the aura - That goes as an auto attack once it is the begginning of the NPC's turn with None damage expression and a reminder condition that will terminate at the Begining of Your Next Turn (Your=NPC).

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

Interesting but?Do these auras keep track of enemies entering the area or are you just using a macro to the enemies as they enter?The auaras in order to work,you need to use the burst token right,or does it register as a close burst in the framework?Normally since I have not seen a way for the framework to trigger the auras,I just apply the damage and conditions when needed,but I think what your saying is that you create macros for the same process?

mallport
Kobold

Post by mallport »

each time I try to do something with the tokens either mine or your default ones i get the following error. I dont know enough about macros to understand. My guess is its something i did wrong but not sure how to fix it. this is a partial of the error code

java.lang.StackOverflowError
at java.util.regex.Pattern$CharProperty.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$Branch.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupHead.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$Loop.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupTail.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$BranchConn.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupHead.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$Loop.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupTail.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$BranchConn.match(Unknown Source)

magnavox
Kobold

Post by magnavox »

That's not a problem with the framework but with the stacksize you set when you start up Maptool. If you're using the Maptool launcher, rerun the .exe and set the stack size to something larger than 2. How large will depend on how much memory your comp has. My 1 gig system is happy running it at stacksize 8.

Several of my players had this problem the first time they started up their maptool. This change fixed the problem for them.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

magnavox wrote:That's not a problem with the framework but with the stacksize you set when you start up Maptool. If you're using the Maptool launcher, rerun the .exe and set the stack size to something larger than 2. How large will depend on how much memory your comp has. My 1 gig system is happy running it at stacksize 8.

Several of my players had this problem the first time they started up their maptool. This change fixed the problem for them.
It should run at something between 2 and 4 (runs fine with a stack size setting of 2 for me, for instance, but that will vary by computer). As a general recommendation, I wouldn't put it any higher than 4, because you can start to take a hit on performance if the stack gets too big, too.

mallport
Kobold

Post by mallport »

thanks for the help this solved the problem

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”