Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Re: Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Post by Colmarr »

hyro wrote:One DM to another, could you check over my campaign file for me? http://www.mediafire.com/?lsqxidq39xr9668
Lol. I'll take a look, but it might not be for at least 24 hours. Stupid work and family :)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Okay, after looking at your campaign, it all looks properly set up - so I think you're just missing a step in the targeting. You will not be given a list of targets from which to choose. instead, while the attack dialog is up, select a target by clicking directly on the NPC token you want to attack. If you want to attack multiple targets, hold down shift and click them, or drag a selection box around them.

When you select them, they'll appear in the attack dialog, like so:
target-thing.png
target-thing.png (69.25 KiB) Viewed 942 times
and then you can set other options. When all is set, hit Attack, and results will appear in the chat window.

One thing to note: always select all desired targets first, and then set the various attack options. Due to the way the system works, when you select a target, the dialog has to refresh - so you'd lose any options you set if you set them, then picked another target. So remember: targets first, then options.

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

Which is exactly what I was trying to say. Amazing how much easier that is to follow with a picture ;)

Hyro, this is probably where your problem lies. If you don't select a target(s) then the framework doesn't have a defence to roll against or a hp total to adjust. Try Rumble's suggestion and see if it works.
Last edited by Colmarr on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyro
Kobold

Post by hyro »

Simply brilliant. Love this compared to using a dropdown to target

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

Yep, the only problem I've ever really come across with the framework is that it is very intensive, and can therefore be slow. With my group, most single-target attacks take about 5-8 seconds to resolve and update on everyone's machine and multi-target attacks can take up to 30 seconds.

The problem seems to be my internet speed as much as anything else (1500 download, 250 upload). Initially we were concerned by it, but then we realised that manually rolling the attack and damage, or even just manually adjusting hp and recording conditions would take us that long anyway.

With the framework, now we don't need to worry about remembering the -2 for marking, the +2 from combat advantage, ongoing damage etc. It even prompts you to make your saving throws!

hyro
Kobold

Post by hyro »

Hi Guys,
With the campaign I posted earlier using Rumbles 4e framework after I had laid out the maps/creatures/players/blocking I tried to view as player and all the tokens dissapeared including the player tokens.

Does this have something to do with the starting box that you get when you first load up the framework with fog of war?

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

Is it just the tokens that disappeared, or the whole map?

Try this. Go back to DM mode. Select a PC token by left-clicking on it. Then activate player mode. Can you see? If that doesn't work, the problem is almost certainly to do with one of a couple of things:

1. Token ownership. If you don't have ownership of at least one of the tokens, then there's no point from which the framework can determine what you see. Ownership is allocated by right-clicking on the token, choosing edit, and then going to the ownership area. If you're the only person connected to the campaign, 'DM' and 'All players' (or similar wording) should be the only options.

2. The map's fog of war and vision settings. For example, if the map has a fog of war, vision is set to 'night' and none of the tokens have a light source, then no one can see anything and the map will be displayed accordingly. The fog of war and vision settings are in the 'map' menu IIRC and light sources are allocated by right-clicking on a token.

hyro
Kobold

Post by hyro »

hmm. Looks like the problem went away when I reloaded. Strange.
Can I put on Token ownership before I start the server or do I start the server, set the ownership and save it?

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

hyro wrote:Can I put on Token ownership before I start the server or do I start the server, set the ownership and save it?
Generally the latter. Until the players are connected to the server, they won't show up as options for ownership. Once the campaign is saved, the setting will stick.

hyro
Kobold

Post by hyro »

When I start the server and connect as a player with another instance of maptool the player view starts on the third of five maps. Does maptool not allow the GM to control what map people are seeing?

hyro
Kobold

Post by hyro »

Tool > Center players on current view.

Hmm. but I was hoping to make sure that they didnt see the other maps.. oh well.

Edit:
Ahh. Tool> Enforce Players to current map

Ghiolekk
Giant

Post by Ghiolekk »

hyro wrote:
Hmm. but I was hoping to make sure that they didnt see the other maps.. oh well.
Dont worry they want see any of your other maps if you have fog of war activated on them. They will just see only a black screen.
Good luck on learning the framework btw; and I will tell you a little secret. Never before 4E encounters were better :)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Also, there is an option to make a map invisible to players (I believe you go to the map you want to hide, and select the Map -> Player Visible toggle). It will make it invisible to players (it won't even show up in the map list, I think).

hyro
Kobold

Post by hyro »

we had great fun with your framework Thanks.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

hyro wrote:we had great fun with your framework Thanks.
Great! Glad to hear it.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”