Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Post by Rumble »

jakyle wrote:I checked on your previous projects and found that you were working on a macro that would dictate how many times your character could move while its your turn. is that possible or will it be possible?
No, I'm doing no work along those lines. There may be other options available using the onTokenMove functions; check the Drop-In subforum.

jakyle
Kobold

Post by jakyle »

okay so far thank you very much for your answers, I really do appreciate it, afterall your framework and of course rptools is allowing me to play DnD in a way I never thought possible lol. and I am sorry if this is a stupid question but I am working on this power...

1Burning Spray
You fling your arm in a wide arc, casting liquid fire at your foes.
At-Will Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each creature in the blast
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Charisma modifier fire damage.
Level 21: 2d8 + Charisma modifier fire damage.
Dragon Magic: The next enemy that hits you with a melee attack before the end of your next turn takes fire damage equal to your Strength modifier.

... the question I have this time is how do I apply the condition that is described in the dragon magic part of this spell as an automatic feature. to be more specific, I already created the state with the "Add New Class Feature" macro, then I go into the power itself and try to apply the state. under effect I set the condition to effect self (the sorc. casting the spell) for Condition name I select the condition I created (Burning Spray) then it of course ends at the end your next turn, then it deals 4 damage (4 str mod from sorc) then it effects no defense, then for attack dam mod I choose Melee attack and finally target is any...

I clearly can tell this is incorrect but I cannot think of how to set this power up to work as it should, when a monster attacks and hits the caster it should automatically take that fire damage, how would I properly set this up? and again thank you very much for your time and effort.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

The bottom line is, you can't. The framework can't support all of the various exceptions that the rule system comes up with - in this case, for instance, there's no way to automate that aside from setting a reminder state with a note that says "next enemy who hits me takes Str fire damage."

D&D 4th's exceptions are sometimes very fiddly, and while I'm good, I'm not that good. It is still incumbent on the DM and the players to pay attention to their characters and make sure that what was supposed to happen actually did happen using the framework - in this case, you'll just have to remember it or create a reminder.

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

Yes players will have to keep track of some things,thank god.If the framework worked any better then It would be like a video button mashing game which I would hate.Rumble's is the perfect balance with micromanaging,however to respond to your question on the powers that have weird if,but,and etc.I create reminder tokens to the left of the map to indicate who and where something happened.I found that once you get into higher encounters their can be a lot going on,so posting a reminder helps and I also created a map that has scanned pics of the dm master screen to help with the conditions of what to do.Keep up the awesome work guys in making maptools the best...Oh Rumble just a after thought is there a new framework for 4.1.Is 4.1 even coming out still,and if it does are you supporting it?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

kyuss11 wrote:Oh Rumble just a after thought is there a new framework for 4.1.Is 4.1 even coming out still,and if it does are you supporting it?
I'm sorry, 4.1? Not sure what you're referring to here. I'm not writing any more D&D frameworks for MapTool 1.3 - I'm done with that.

If you mean MapTool 1.4, from what I can tell that's so far away as to be not worth worrying about. Given that the planned changes - while good for the product - will also mean re-learning my way through scripting, I don't know that I'll write anything new for it or rebuild my frameworks in the new version. The idea doesn't appeal to me, let's put it that way.

Ghiolekk
Giant

Post by Ghiolekk »

Deadolus wrote:Hello again.

I just saw something as I was working on a token that I have not seen before. I am not sure if it is a bug or a feature :wink: I just don't know what it is.

I have a yellow arrow pointing right on one of the monster tokens. It is similar to the green arrows that indicate the token that has initiative, only I don't know what it means, and how to get rid or it.

Any idea what it is?

I have attached the token that has the issue for your reference.
Sorry to bring up your post deadolus, but I just saw that nightwalker.rptok.
Did you create these or did you find them somewhere?
If they are your own how did you implemented the Arcana or Religion check.
Any insight?

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

The only yellow arrow that I have ever seen is when your token can change facing,meaning which way you want the token to face because the image for the token doesn't move.I have some creatures that are a image with token properties that will actually change position,however when you use the token tool it changes that process and offers a yellow arrow instead.I hope that answers your question.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

Okay, I just picked up v513 and I can not get ANY melee attacks to work. Even with the Hero token, Melee Basic attack doesn't come back with a target. Area Burst and Close Burst attacks work fine though. "Targets will appear here when selected."

Edit: This was UNTIL I impersonated my token and showed my Impersonate window to use my macros on a selected target. Something that was not described well in the readme. Running the melee powers from Selection caused me to have no targets, running them from Impersonate while having my melee target selected worked like it should. This may have been covered in previous versions since I've used it but to newcomers and ppl returning after almost 3 years (like me) could be lost on that. Ah the frustration of wondering why a power won't work lol.

Edit2: Black Dragon: 17 vs. Will, 15 psychic damage « '' = '' =  » « '' = '' =  » What is the section after dmg there?
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Slayve2DnD wrote:Okay, I just picked up v513 and I can not get ANY melee attacks to work. Even with the Hero token, Melee Basic attack doesn't come back with a target. Area Burst and Close Burst attacks work fine though. "Targets will appear here when selected."

Edit: This was UNTIL I impersonated my token and showed my Impersonate window to use my macros on a selected target. Something that was not described well in the readme. Running the melee powers from Selection caused me to have no targets, running them from Impersonate while having my melee target selected worked like it should. This may have been covered in previous versions since I've used it but to newcomers and ppl returning after almost 3 years (like me) could be lost on that. Ah the frustration of wondering why a power won't work lol.

Edit2: Black Dragon: 17 vs. Will, 15 psychic damage « '' = '' =  » « '' = '' =  » What is the section after dmg there?
The reason it's not explained in the Readme is that you shouldn't have to impersonate anything for this to work. Select your character, launch the power, then select the target(s) you want. Additionally, on the second part, make sure "Use tooltips for Inline Rolls" is checked in MapTool preferences.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

Okay, I see that now. Thanks =) Nice work on the framework. Looks very nice since I last played around with your framework.

Deadolus
Giant

Post by Deadolus »

Ghiolekk wrote:Sorry to bring up your post deadolus, but I just saw that nightwalker.rptok.
Did you create these or did you find them somewhere?
If they are your own how did you implemented the Arcana or Religion check.
Any insight?
I scripted that manually... a bit of a hassle actually. It is likely much better to build a token or table with the different skill checks and responses... but I have not the coding skill for that.

I have a few custom tokens I use for players and DM's to interact with during play that pastes to the chat pre written responses... like the token tactics (DM Viewable only stuff) and play visible things like the "Features of the Area" text (edited for players).

Attached is a templet token for that, and the two base macros I use on tokens.

I hope this helpful.
Attachments
~Encounter Info Token.rptok
(12.86 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Lore Check macro.mtmacro
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Knowledge Check macro.mtmacro
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

Ghiolekk
Giant

Post by Ghiolekk »

Deadolus wrote:
Ghiolekk wrote:
I hope this helpful.
Thanks a lot Deadolus, will surely put those in good use :)

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

There a way for a power to remove a state? I have Wild Shape giving me a state now and I'd like to use a second Wild Shape power button to remove the state if its possible.

Edit: Resolved. Found the macro wiki =) Link found on your other framework post. Thanks =)
Last edited by Slayve2DnD on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

I wanted to know if anyone could modify the lore,feature,room macros from Deadolus.I like the macros but to create a macro for every monster,room,feature.etc will produce to many macros to keep track.I was wondering if someone could write a macro that would allow you to have say for example 20 room blocks of info with the ability to select what room you want.I select one macro named Room and then it pops a selection with boxes to check for each room #,that way if you have a dungeon with 15 rooms you can input all the text into all the block rooms by what # it is and then select the box#.Then you only need that macro to run the whole dungeon.I hope I explained right.

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

Hey Rumble,

The icons you use for the tokens, are those your own creation? I'm curious because I'm adding another library and wanted to mimic the look of the icons.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”