Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

kyuss11
Giant

Re: Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Post by kyuss11 »

That is unfortunate ... but I did try to warn you it would be simpler to just drop Rumble's and use the MPB.
I'm responding to this quote just to be clear that I have tried your"MPB" framework and Rumble's.I'm not here as a member to have framework wars lol,but to grasp all the hard work and many,many,many hours that it takes for us to produce workable programs or frameworks to use and enjoy with our friends.I'm happy to see progress and new tools(addons) that give members a more smooth and enjoyable experience.I believe half the fun though is actually creating code that works,used and enjoyed for the needs,wants of Maptool memebers.I applaud you Starman for having the motivation to create your own framework and I hope that you continue to develop it and mold it to your needs,wants and enjoyment.Lets also keep in mind that someday in the future we will be coding differently and hopefully with more tools and options available in the new maptools build 1.4.Dungeon and Dragons will also be releasing a 5th edition and I'm hoping Starman and many others will put their wits and man,women hours in to provide the community with a 5th edition framework for us all to enjoy.I believe that's what this is all about.Hard work,motivation and never stop coding,always find something new to do. :wink:

Deadolus
Giant

Post by Deadolus »

kyuss11 wrote:Lets also keep in mind that someday in the future we will be coding differently and hopefully with more tools and options available in the new maptools build 1.4.Dungeon and Dragons will also be releasing a 5th edition and I'm hoping Starman and many others will put their wits and man,women hours in to provide the community with a 5th edition framework for us all to enjoy.I believe that's what this is all about.Hard work,motivation and never stop coding,always find something new to do. :wink:
Amen to that! I look forward to providing input and listening to the wisdom and intelligence of some very skill people here once information on the 5th edition ruleset starts coming out. It would be nice if people could work together on one framework that is both user friendly, and robust.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Rumble wrote:
Quidam wrote:Guess that works for importing monsters, but importing character sheets is no more since the CB was moved onto the web?
The lack of a text summary feature in the online CB canceled Christmas as far as character import goes. You could probably still import powers via C&P from the Compendium*, but the stats will need to be hand-entered.
I have taken it upon myself to reinstate Christmas ... well, at least for my framework anyway:
StarMan wrote:Great work, JM! I have just finished implementing this for my framework. I use Rumble's properties so I imagine those using his framework can import my macro onto one of his tokens. It should work with a tiny bit of tweaking.
Now you may say, "Sheesh, if I gotta go through all that then I may as well just change the Level property and manually "hand-enter" the rest". Dunno, I'll have to see what my players think as we hard-code all level-dependent stats as opposed to using the derivation formulae. From that point of view it may be worth it. Anyhoo, there it is for anybody who wants to tinker and extend the code to include feats and whatnot from the dnd4e files ...
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

Looking for some input into a problem.

I have set up Divine Challenge as an attack power for my paladin PC as follows:
Spoiler
Divine challenge.jpg
Divine challenge.jpg (245.01 KiB) Viewed 12170 times
For some reason that I cannot fathom, it is inflicting 1 point of damage on the target when it is used. Anyone know why?

EDIT: On further thought, it might be connected to the fact that I have enabled inherent bonuses and the character has an inherent damage bonus of +1. If that's the case, is there an easier (or more importantly a more permanent) fix than manually inserting a damage penalty equivalent to the inherent damage bonus?

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

I believe without knowing any other set-up info on the power,the method you used above,would be a quick way to negate the +1.It might be possible to setup this as a no damage under the attack and see if it still registers the inherent bonus.Since this power is one of those what if triggers and you placed in under effect instead of a actual hit or miss setup,I would try and make it a no attack,no damage.

Colmarr
Cave Troll

Post by Colmarr »

kyuss11 wrote:It might be possible to setup this as a no damage under the attack and see if it still registers the inherent bonus.
That worked. Understandably but perhaps unintuitively, the framework treats '0 damage' and 'No damage' as different. By clicking on that '0 damage' text and checking the box to make the power a 'No damage' power, it's no longer applying the +1 bonus.

Thanks (and thanks to my coder player who suggested the same solution).

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

No, that is correct behaviour because "0 damage" and "No damage" don't mean the same thing. The first means the base damage is zero but can be modified by other factors. The second means the power can't cause damage under any circumstances, whether peripheral bonuses are operating or not.

For us programmers, we refer to the second situation as "NULL" damage. NULL means "no value at all" whereas 0 is an actual value which is subject to mathematical modification. The difference is subtle but significant.

Novadros
Kobold

Post by Novadros »

Great work on this framework, it does everything!!! :shock:

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

How would I configure the framework to handle the healing done by an attack done to a monster? EXAMPLE: My Cleric uses Astral seal and it hits, the next ally to attack that creature is supposed to be healed (Target takes -2 to all defenses. The next ally to hit the target before the end of your next turn regains hit points equal to (12) 2+Cha+Wis) I can not figure out how to configure the conditional healing of such powers (there are a ton of them between Bard and Cleric alone) I created a condition called GivesHP to help me remember to do the healing required, but that can be a lot of extra tasks to handle slowing down the flow of combat.

As a side note: Anyone happen to know if Lindsey's GM tools work with the campaign file?
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

I don't think this framework can handle conditional execution as you describe. Just create a "targets allies" power with that formula in the field for hit points under the last "Ally Healing" link. It shouldn't be a big deal to run it on the attacker manually every time the monster is hit.

BTW, my framework will be able to handle this scenario when I release v2.0 next month (or maybe Nov). Go here and read point 5. In your case, you will be able to attach the cleric's "Astral Seal Healing" power to each party member's "Hit" event. IOW, every time a player "hits" he will automatically run the healing macro on himself.

As another example, right now we have two warlocks in our campaign. One has attached "Dark One's Blessing" (get temp hps) to his "Kill" event while the other has attached "Misty Step" to his "Kill" event. Whenever either kills a cursed monster, these macros are run automatically with no intervention required on the part of their players.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

Yah, I've seen your site, followed your sig in another post. Doesn't sound bad, does it run much like Rumble's or would I have to go about learning a new system?

Also I see you import powers from the online builder, which I don't have access to, and I used to have the old builder with CBLoader but a reformat with the loss of the original install file has killed that. Happen to have a link for the original builder that isn't loaded with virus, or is there another way to add powers without coding knowledge?
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

or is there another way to add powers without coding knowledge?
I'm going on a whim with this because I'm not sure if your still relating this question to Starman's framework or Rumbles..however I know its possible to get powers in a pdf format and then use a pdf or bullszip printer to reformat the power to be able to select it for copy paste.I other hand prefer to use the compendium to get the power info since Rumble's import features works 99% percent of the time and makes creating stuff really fast.
I also want to say was up to Starman,its good to know that your still making improvements beyond Rumble's.I had a question for you Starman.Will you be creating a 5e framework once its more set in stone on how there going to be running it,It looks quite stable now for the core but I would be interested to know if you were?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

StarMan wrote:BTW, my framework will be able to handle this scenario when I release v2.0 next month (or maybe Nov). Go here and read point 5. In your case, you will be able to attach the cleric's "Astral Seal Healing" power to each party member's "Hit" event. IOW, every time a player "hits" he will automatically run the healing macro on himself.
Two things:

1) yeah for the new release!!!
2) based upon your wording of the last sentence, does it work as the power is written? It's supposed to give "healing" to next ally that hits it, not all. How do you handle removing from each player once one person has "triggered" the "hit event"? and for that matter ,what defines "hit"(do damage, to hit roll, etc?)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

I am not comfortable talking about my framework here as this is Rumble's thread. That is why I led with my Rumble-only suggestion. The last two paragraphs were included for comparative context purposes only. Please go here for my replies to the above. Thanks!

sylas
Kobold

Post by sylas »

does anyone know how to factor in a weapon that does ongoing 10 damage on crit only? i'm trying to use a Jagged weapon and while i can factor in the 19-20 crit range for melee powers, there doesn't seem to be anything i can add for the ongoing damage in the Power or the Inventory weapon.

Please help.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”