The MacroPolicebox: Second Regeneration (D&D 4E Framework)

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

StarMan
Dragon

Re: The MacroPolicebox: Second Regeneration (D&D 4E Framewor

Post by StarMan »

Excellent summation, Vhex. I agree. I will take another look at my videos and try to figure out ways to bridge the gaps in them with documentation. BTW, I think my group will be sticking with 4e a bit longer than most as there are still a lot of good adventures out there yet to be played.
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

I just want to give Starman a big pat on the back,great job on what you've accomplished from the very beginning of this framework.I believe I saw some of the first pieces with very little video and it was still manageable to use.I think its awesome that we have people that have that drive to say,I can do that,but better and my way.To be honest Starman has done things in his framework that I didn't think would be possible. It adds more tools to make dming and playing 4e on maptools better,for example the aura targeting system.I agree with Vhex though,he has summarized the differences of Rumble's and Starman's frameworks well.Now the only question will be.Who will create a solid 5e framework. :wink:

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Aw shucks, thanks Kyuss! Actually, it's my birthday today so a pat on the back will be accepted most gratefully as my first present. :D

BTW work on Service Level 2 is progressing quite nicely. The only serious bug in SL1 is if a PC is reduced below 0 hp. The application of the Unconscious state may zero out your defenses although AC should remain the same. When you get healed, please set these back to their original values. Apologies to those affected for the inconvenience.

Epiktetus
Kobold

Post by Epiktetus »

StarMan wrote:Aw shucks, thanks Kyuss! Actually, it's my birthday today so a pat on the back will be accepted most gratefully as my first present. :D
Hey, happy birthday. :) And I agree, so far I can totally see the potential in this framework. I'm just, as you said, "jumping in at the deep end". It's kinda my way.

So I went back and put in something more basic and still had trouble, then I decided to go back to the beginning and just run an encounter with an unmodified demo, and hey, it worked great, so I must have broken something.

Here's what's happening right now: When I lock powers and click "at-will" I get an "X has entered initiative" line, but no dialog, then when I go to actually "begin encounter" I get:

Code: Select all

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0 error executing expression Limit=json.get(json.get(MiscNotes, 0), "name").
I think I've worked through most everything else, though I noticed that when I ran a power out of combat just now I managed to miss an AC 20 character with a roll of 24. At least Luc's hover text says 20, and the power said "Misses: 24 vs. Luc"

Any ideas on either of those?

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Thanks! If you don't get prompted for intitative but get the message in the Chat then that means your GenOtherMod property is already set for some reason or the Round field on the Initiative panel is not blank. Make sure GenOtherMod is zero and there is no number in the Round field. In easy way to accomplish both goals is to run "Health->Extended Rest" for a PC (not NPC!).

SL1 will give the IndexOutOfBoundsException error if nobody has rolled intitiative. SL2 (due out next month) will ask for at least one token to roll.

Please attach your campaign file if you continue to have trouble.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

Imported 4e file for my groups rogue and have no support for "Rattled" keyword effect/state. Is there an easy way to make a power refer to a state?
He's a Brutal Scoundrel so almost half his powers have Rattling.
This knowledge would also be useful in the construction of my own monsters, which I do, frequently.
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

Epiktetus
Kobold

Post by Epiktetus »

StarMan wrote:...and there is no number in the Round field.
That seemed to be the issue. All fixed. Now comes the real test. I'm going to walk my players through building their own tokens this Thursday. I've set aside basically the whole night for it, so there's a good chance that there will either be questions or praise on Friday. Probably a bit of both.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Glad to hear it! It's good you're taking things slowly as Rome wasn't built in a day. That said, I would like to think it won't take you a whole evening considering it only took 2 five-minute videos to create Vani. You may want to get your players to look those over (as well as the instructions) in the meantime. Most importantly, check over all the form fields carefully as SL1 still makes a few mistakes when importing. SL2 is much better and should be out in a couple of weeks.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Slayve2DnD wrote:Imported 4e file for my groups rogue and have no support for "Rattled" keyword effect/state. Is there an easy way to make a power refer to a state?
He's a Brutal Scoundrel so almost half his powers have Rattling.
This knowledge would also be useful in the construction of my own monsters, which I do, frequently.
Not sure I'm familiar with the Rattled state but I do know rogues use combat advantage as their striker state. Follow these steps to set up the CombatAdvantage_All feature.

Any state in Campaign Properties may be used as a striker feature so you can also import a graphic and state named Rattled. If I have misunderstood then please elaborate on what you mean by "a power referring to a state" using an example from the rules.

Longshot
Giant

Post by Longshot »

Powers with the Rattling keyword:
If a creature has training in Intimidate and deals damage with a power that has the rattling keyword, the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of the user’s next turn. A target that is immune to fear is not subject to this penalty.

Epiktetus
Kobold

Post by Epiktetus »

StarMan wrote:Glad to hear it! It's good you're taking things slowly ...
Um, er, yeah, 18th level characters. So... *cough* we'll see. :)
StarMan wrote:Not sure I'm familiar with the Rattled state
From the compendium:
Rattling
If a creature has training in Intimidate and deals damage with a power that has the rattling keyword, the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of the user’s next turn. A target that is immune to fear is not subject to this penalty.
So Slayve2DnD I think you can just use a generic -2 to attack state.

edit: Dang Longshot beat me by like 3 seconds.

Longshot
Giant

Post by Longshot »

Yeah, but you get style points for putting it in the quote box.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

I figured it out with Frank's Lab, thanks.
A new question though, can I turn off the manual input for dice rolls? I'd rather not have to worry about a player fudging his dice so he hits more often than he should.

Also, how would I code an Immobilized IF AttackPenalty is present? Or can that be done with Append RE block?
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Good that you found Append RE Block as it's easier to use that first and then edit the generated code afterward, if necessary. The Programmer's Reference shows you how to do this. I will be taking a long weekend in a few days so I will try to add more clarity and examples to that part of the site.

No, there is no way to turn off user input through the menus as I never anticipated anyone wanting to do this. To do this you would have to "mod" the MPB itself. Find the macro called "Rumble Eval" and change the field addition statement from "TEXT" to "LABEL". This should cause the fields (except "Situational Modifier") to become "display-only" and therefore uneditable. Theoretically, that should work but I can't say for sure. I am at work and don't have access to the code so I'm going from memory.

Having said that, if you are that worried about people cheating then you have a problem that the framework is not intended to solve. IOW, this change is obviously unsupported. If enough users request this then I will make it a selectable option. I for one trust my players so I personally wouldn't use such a feature.

No, you can't do that with Append RE Block. Again, going from memory I would code it like this:

Code: Select all

[IF(getState("AttackPenalty", AllHits)), CODE:
{
   [MACRO("Register Effect@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Name=My Power; State=Immobilized; Duration=End; Token="+AllHits]
};{}] 
This will immobilize the token in AllHits to the end of its next turn. Change the Duration property if that isn't what you want. Remember, this will only work if your Attack Power call is coded with the "Single=1" option. If AllHits has a list of tokens it will fail with an error. If this is an area effect power then enclose this IF statement in a FOREACH loop and change AllHits to its index variable.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

OK never mind this:
StarMan wrote:Find the macro called "Rumble Eval" and change the field addition statement from "TEXT" to "LABEL"....
I just tried it and it didn't work. I guess, the MT input function was not meant to operate in this manner. If you know the language then you can try to modify this macro yourself. Considering I spent many many hours perfecting it, the prospect of tampering with this code isn't a productive line of effort in my view. Short of forbidding your players use keyboards, your only option is to rely on their honour.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”