4e interactive sheet & utilities

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Shpena
Cave Troll

Re: 4e interactive sheet & utilities

Post by Shpena »

Hey DN!

Would it be possible for you to post beta versions of the updated framework for the brave souls who dare? They could do massive testing (many eyes makes bugs shallow...) and report feedback/tweaks/fixes.

I would definitely be able to give some feedback via actual play testing this week (the kids have graduated and it is now spring break here, so I have a good week of absolutely nothing for work). I can round up a few players and just throw down a quickie and get their reports.

The beta tests could include all of the css tweaks, speed tweaks, two attack tweaks, etc. and probably could be put as 4.3-beta1-speed.tweak, or whatever.

Let me know :D
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
- Louis-Hector Berlioz

Waneta
Giant

Post by Waneta »

I use my laptop to run MT, sometimes with a second monitor. If I have a frame open on the second monitor, close MT and turn off my computer, then bring my laptop to where I only have the one screen, that frame will be completely inaccessible until I hook up the second monitor again. It can be rather frustrating, making MT essentially unusable until I bring the laptop back home.
How am I going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind?

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Shpena wrote:Would it be possible for you to post beta versions of the updated framework for the brave souls who dare? They could do massive testing (many eyes makes bugs shallow...) and report feedback/tweaks/fixes.
Once I have an actual beta version, sure. LordAelfric is sorta pluggin' away on his own and I'm still experimenting with the most efficient way to store and retrieve the huge blocks of info that the sheet needs to build the list like pages.

travist627
Giant

Post by travist627 »

RegExParser Token Update

Well, I finally got a chance to do some more tinkering...

http://webpages.charter.net/thornhill/d ... _6_0.rptok
  • PowersParser:
    • Fixed issue where triggers with numbers weren't being fully captured.
      Fixed issue with wall area powers not being parsed properly.
    StatsParser:
    • Now deletes spaces immediately following new lines.
      Now removes new line when a line ends with a lowercase word with no punctuation.
    New feature: Trap Parser (launches with F4)
    • TrapStatParser:
      • Parses for first HP and Defense info available, Level, trap or hazard name, and XP.
        Parses for special info, countermeasures, and triggers, and puts them in the Notes area of the character sheet.
        Sets color for character sheet header based on look of entries in DMG.
        Token size is set to medium and type is set to NPC.
      TrapPowerParser:
      • Parses for Perception and other detection information and puts entries in the Knowledge Check portion of the character sheet.
I do plan on putting in upgrade info and figuring out a way to setup powers from attacks. The traps are so varied with different features that it's hard to make a one-size-fits-all token; however, the basic form is working pretty well for me right now. I need to update the help frame with instructions, but you should be able to figure out the trap portion if you've worked with the monster portion. Make sure to copy the whole trap block from the PDF just like you've been doing with the monster stat blocks, only make sure that you launch the Trap entry with F4 (pasting a monster in the trap parser and vice versa will make things go wonky).

As always, back up your current token before replacing it with this one. 8)

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

DeviantNull wrote:
css352 wrote: Also, as a new user I'd recommend the code tweak posted a page or so back for speeding it up and WAY back on page 67 is a fix by Lindihairn for the two attack bug. I have a tweaked 4-3c version with just these two fixes but I want to run it through my game today before putting it up lest something else explode in a ball of fire.
DN I think your FW is the greatest and look forward to your updates.
I've implemented the one on the precedding pages regarding speed but am having trouble locating the macro mentioned on page 67. The poweruseatk macro, I'm not finding it on Lib:Sheet at all. Is it maybe nested in another?
Again, thanks and keep up the fantastic work all of you guys.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Darakonis
Cave Troll

Post by Darakonis »

I figured I would ask here, since it's specific to this framework...

I have Stack Size set to 4, Max Mem set to 1024, and Min Men set to 64. I'm running a pretty powerful gaming rig (i5, 4 gigs RAM, ATI 5750, Win7 64bit), and I'm wondering if these are ideal settings for me.

My mem usage in MT has never reached 1024, so I understand there is no benefit in increasing the Max Mem. Is there any benefit in increasing Min Mem or Stack Size? (I set Stack Size to 4 because it was suggested to do so to make this framework function).

I host (I also have a good net connection), and my players on low-end systems/laptops sometimes complain about things taking long to load. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do on my end to improve their performance.

Thanks,
-Darakonis
Visit the D&D Digest for RPG tips & reviews.

Listen to the adventures of a live MapTool voice-chat group: Dungeons & Drogans

Venatius
Dragon

Post by Venatius »

mfrizzell wrote: DN I think your FW is the greatest and look forward to your updates.
I've implemented the one on the precedding pages regarding speed but am having trouble locating the macro mentioned on page 67. The poweruseatk macro, I'm not finding it on Lib:Sheet at all. Is it maybe nested in another?
It's in the Dice lib, actually. That threw me off at first too! For folks' convenience, I put together a fixed version of the token here, so you can grab that if you wouldn't prefer to implement it yourself.

While we're at it, I've uploaded the revised sheet lib here (incorporates the improvements to token movement speed), and the revised info lib is now here, incorporating updated keywords (and correcting a typo).

LordAelfric
Kobold

Post by LordAelfric »

So here is the finished version of the main stat page. I'll keep improving upon the panels and each of the different pages, but this is my general goal of a whole page completed. Anyone have any suggestions?
Attachments
TableExample6.jpg
TableExample6.jpg (112.17 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Darakonis wrote:I figured I would ask here, since it's specific to this framework...
Actually you may be better off asking in the general MT forum so one of the really smart coder people like Craig or Azhrei can answer. The inner workings of MT are a mystery to me. :D

From what I know, upping the max memory can help if you were already having issues related to MT taking up large amounts of memory due to lots of images or very large images. However, this is more just general helping MT cram everything into memory then something specific to the framework which while not tiny is also not large. I personally only have problems on very large maps with lots of images and then things start to slow down as it has to memory swap in general and that can make the sheet and power execution laggy.

Stack size should be a non-issue and 2 should be fine. Not to toot my own horn, but I've been building this silly thing since before stack size was adjustable. I quickly discovered the stack size problem on my own because I was trying to cram lots of inefficient code down a really small pipe. I figured out how to fix it by using multiple macro calls and trimming things down. Since then I've always strived to write it to fit in a 2 meg stack. From my understanding you don't gain much benefit from a larger stack if the code was already going to fit in a smaller stack; it's more an issue of having to go to 4 megs because the macro code requires it to run.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Venatius wrote:It's in the Dice lib, actually. That threw me off at first too! For folks' convenience, I put together a fixed version of the token here, so you can grab that if you wouldn't prefer to implement it yourself.

While we're at it, I've uploaded the revised sheet lib here (incorporates the improvements to token movement speed), and the revised info lib is now here, incorporating updated keywords (and correcting a typo).
Well then, I won't need to toss up mine till I get the next version finished. You are a good man, consider yourself officially thanked and honored. :D

Oh, it's probably also worth noting here that I have uncovered one minor side effect of the new reload/speed increase fix... You HAVE to have the token selected now in order to change pages or open sub pages. Previously, given the way the reload worked, you could manipulate the sheet even if the token wasn't currently targeted. This is now prevented.

After much nail biting and deliberation I decided that this is an acceptable trade off. The savings in time and overhead when wanting to move and use a token is more then enough to make up for the trivial inconvenience of having to make sure the token is selected to change pages. It however caused much consternation the first few times the problem cropped up.

LordAelfric
Kobold

Post by LordAelfric »

DN, why not have the image of the character on the sheet be the go between? Meaning you click on the portrait/token image and it selects the character in question? Or do you completely lose the link of who the character is at that point?

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

LordAelfric wrote:DN, why not have the image of the character on the sheet be the go between? Meaning you click on the portrait/token image and it selects the character in question? Or do you completely lose the link of who the character is at that point?
Actually, something similar had occured to me and I was going to mention it in the previous post but figured it was mostly irrelevant and too long to explain (I'm rather wordy at times).

With the improvements I've made over time to the ability to toggle and autodetect sheet type the Token Image link is largely unnecessary at this point. Heck, originally it started out as a "if I can recolor macrolinks from blue how far can I push this? Craig says image links aren't working right... can I find a way to make it work?" and it turned into a somewhat hidden feature and a sometimes perplexing thing to new folks.

I'm thinking of changing it to simply refresh/reload the sheet with the target being the currently selected token or the last selected token if nothing is currently selected. The onChangeSelection I think is too good to get rid of entirely, I find it a god send when GMing since i can just click on a badguy and go and don't have to take extra steps. But this might provide a good fix for very rare situations where you simply want to refresh without having to reselect a token (hypothetical is two people running 1 token and both have it loaded but one is far away on the map, they could instant reload to reflect current changes). It also gets rid of the pesky situation where someone accidental changes their sheet type.

I need to find out what happens if I make this change and try to change pages without a token selected and THEN refresh. Given that nothing was happening previously I suspect nothing will happen still, since the cutoff is occurring before the passed macro.args are loaded onto the token as new sheet settings. However, I believe I could move this sorting to the first macro and thus the refresh would properly load the changes since I should be able to write the refresh to bypass the token check either by either modifying the IF or by calling a later macro.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Venatius wrote:
mfrizzell wrote: DN I think your FW is the greatest and look forward to your updates.
It's in the Dice lib, actually. That threw me off at first too! For folks' convenience, I put together a fixed version of the token here, so you can grab that if you wouldn't prefer to implement it yourself.

Uh-oh I did something wrong. I dropped in all of the updated Lib tokens deleted the old ones and now none of my PC tokens on the map display on the sheet. I get the following message "Unknown library token Lib:Sheet." in the chat window. I saved the campaign then reopened it. I even closed the sheet out and tried to open it again but no-go. It won't come back up. Did I miss a step?
Characters:
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

mfrizzell wrote:Uh-oh I did something wrong. I dropped in all of the updated Lib tokens deleted the old ones and now none of my PC tokens on the map display on the sheet. I get the following message "Unknown library token Lib:Sheet." in the chat window. I saved the campaign then reopened it. I even closed the sheet out and tried to open it again but no-go. It won't come back up. Did I miss a step?
1st, double check the name of the Lib:Sheet token. Make sure it has no numbers in the name and that it's specifically named Lib:Sheet. That error should mean that the macro can't find the lib:token, which given that the sheet uses onCampaignLoad and immediately calls it means it's firing but then can't find itself...

In retrospect, long after this ship has sailed, I regret not using @this. Alas...

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

DeviantNull wrote:
mfrizzell wrote:
1st, double check the name of the Lib:Sheet token. Make sure it has no numbers in the name and that it's specifically named Lib:Sheet. That error should mean that the macro can't find the lib:token, which given that the sheet uses onCampaignLoad and immediately calls it means it's firing but then can't find itself...

In retrospect, long after this ship has sailed, I regret not using @this. Alas...
Ok, I closed Maptool because garbage kept displaying the chat box even on a different campaign. I reloaded the test campaign and the sheet launches but none of the PC's display. It's acting the way it would if you hadn't checked off the Character state (I know that one well). I've verified that, that is checked off and enhanced properties are still selected.
I forgot to say that I did check for correct names (been caught on that one too).
Characters:

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”