4e interactive sheet & utilities

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Re: 4e interactive sheet & utilities

Post by hyperactiveChipmunk »

Natha wrote:We've got a strange bug on the translated version of the framework. Before I start investigating deeply I wanna know if it has happenned to someone with the original DN's framework : sometimes (rarely) a PC token will start displaying an NPC sheet (the opposit happens also) and will continue to do so, even if the token is correctly set.
I think it has to do with some properties change but I can't pinpoint the event that causes this behaviour.
Any idea ?
Click the player's portrait icon in the top-left corner of the sheet. It toggles between the two sheet types.

-hC

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Oh my ! How dumb am I ? ... :oops: :lol:
I had no idea the framework could do that !
That's it, I've just tried.
Thanks.
Last edited by Natha on Thu May 07, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Natha wrote:Oh my ! Oh dumb am I ? ... :oops: :lol:
I had no idea the framework could do that !
That's it, I've just try.
Thanks.
Don't sweat it. I think everybody's been burned by it at least once; it's not a very nice interface "feature."

-hC

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

hyperactiveChipmunk wrote: Don't sweat it. I think everybody's been burned by it at least once; it's not a very nice interface "feature."

-hC
Well, now that the shame is gone ;), I think it's a nice and handy feature because in NPC mode, because the sheet is tighter and packed with usefull data and functions for combat situations.
ImageImageImageImage

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Natha wrote:
hyperactiveChipmunk wrote: Don't sweat it. I think everybody's been burned by it at least once; it's not a very nice interface "feature."

-hC
Well, now that the shame is gone ;), I think it's a nice and handy feature because in NPC mode, because the sheet is tighter and packed with usefull data and functions for combat situations.
Agreed; it's the interface to it that's problematic. There's no label or informative feedback and no way to know how to get back to the original unless you knew what you were doing in the first place.

-hC

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

You're right.
Is it technically possible to put a tooltip on the portrait to explain this function ?
ImageImageImageImage

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Still working on getting a new 3.51 bug fix up. Should be this evening when I get a chance to put the files together and get them uploaded.

As to the undocumented toggle between sheet types... uh... yeah, this is what happens when other folks use what is essentially my random doodling with macro code. I never really had a plan, I just sort of started throwing things against a wall and seeing what would stick.

Doing an NPC sheet was one of the first requests so I did one up and had it set via token type. But while messing around with stuff I noticed that Craig had mentioned you could make image macrolinks but it would always have an ugly blue box. Wanting a way to switch between the two sheet types (because you can't access everything from NPC sheets and they are more compact) I picked -that- as my fiddling spot and worked out how to do image macrolinks with no ugly box... I likely pointed out how to switch, but that's probably back on like page 10 or something and I can't recall if I ever mentioned it again. :oops:

As for putting in a tooltip, I don't know how. Image links don't seem to have a macrolink hover over... I should take suggestions for interface improvements and then plan something out and do a version 4 with actually improvements. I was sort of waiting to see how DDI would do it's XML, but the new stuff isn't that great so I'm not going to worry about it.

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

DeviantNull wrote:Still working on getting a new 3.51 bug fix up. Should be this evening when I get a chance to put the files together and get them uploaded.

As to the undocumented toggle between sheet types... uh... yeah, this is what happens when other folks use what is essentially my random doodling with macro code. I never really had a plan, I just sort of started throwing things against a wall and seeing what would stick.

Doing an NPC sheet was one of the first requests so I did one up and had it set via token type. But while messing around with stuff I noticed that Craig had mentioned you could make image macrolinks but it would always have an ugly blue box. Wanting a way to switch between the two sheet types (because you can't access everything from NPC sheets and they are more compact) I picked -that- as my fiddling spot and worked out how to do image macrolinks with no ugly box... I likely pointed out how to switch, but that's probably back on like page 10 or something and I can't recall if I ever mentioned it again. :oops:
It's a great feature, and once you know about it, it's very nice. Even the way it's placed isn't bad at all: the problem is just that you never know it's there until you find it by accident, and when you find it by accident, you have no idea what you just did. Both of those problems should be rectified.
As for putting in a tooltip, I don't know how. Image links don't seem to have a macrolink hover over... I should take suggestions for interface improvements and then plan something out and do a version 4 with actually improvements. I was sort of waiting to see how DDI would do it's XML, but the new stuff isn't that great so I'm not going to worry about it.
Yeah, I was lookin' at the new DDI stuff, too, and it's pretty worthless. Too bad.

-hC

The Zapper
Cave Troll

Post by The Zapper »

DeviantNull wrote: I was sort of waiting to see how DDI would do it's XML, but the new stuff isn't that great so I'm not going to worry about it.
If you came up with something that would take the .xml output from the DDI chargen program and turn it into a sheet via your framework...

Do you have any particular sacrifices you prefer, holy one? ;)

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

The Zapper wrote:If you came up with something that would take the .xml output from the DDI chargen program and turn it into a sheet via your framework...
It was something I was considering. However, unless someone else wants to step up I'm not going to be doing it. For one, while I wouldn't mind figuring out how to do it, I would have to figure out how to do it... For another, there just isn't a lot of info in the XML output. What is there is compatible with how I store things, but powers are completely neutered and lack any info outside of the basic numbers. It was a bit of a letdown.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Okay, I've uploaded a fix for the NPCsheet consumables problem. You can dl just the new NPCSheet macro that fixes it and delete the old one and then import the replacement. You can dl it from

RapidShare
http://rapidshare.com/files/230421680/N ... 51.mtmacro

Or MediaFire
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bwnznwnr3 ... 51.mtmacro

I'll be putting up a new v3-51 on the first page that has a new example and lib token dl's with the fix already in as well as just the replacement macro.

fifth_child
Kobold

Post by fifth_child »

I'm new to MapTool and planning on using this campaign framework; it's a quality piece of work and I appreciate all the time and effort it must have taken you, DeviantNull. That having been said, I have a few questions/concerns.

First (and this might be a MapTool thing rather than a campaign framework thing), the program seems to be measuring movement according to the old D&D3.X rules when it comes to diagonal movement - that is, every other square of diagonal movement costs 2 speed, rather than the D&D4e rules where diagonal movement is the same as lateral. Is there a way to change this?

Second, the formatting for the conditions' info panels is broken for Mac users like myself, I'm pretty sure because you're using "&diams." I'd be more than willing to fix this myself and change them to "&#9830," but I'm having trouble finding where I would do so.

Third, I want monster/NPC stat sheets to display the monster's Rank (by which I mean minion/normal/elite/solo) to the players along with damage taken. I can get it to show on the stat sheet by adding a new campaign property with an asterisk, but doing so means it can only be edited directly from a token's properties tab and doesn't show up on the NPC sheet at all. Could you give me a bit of guidance as to how I could get it to show on, and be editable from, the NPC sheet?

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

First (and this might be a MapTool thing rather than a campaign framework thing), the program seems to be measuring movement according to the old D&D3.X rules when it comes to diagonal movement - that is, every other square of diagonal movement costs 2 speed, rather than the D&D4e rules where diagonal movement is the same as lateral. Is there a way to change this?
Edit->Preferences: Movement Metric: ONE_ONE_ONE
Second, the formatting for the conditions' info panels is broken for Mac users like myself, I'm pretty sure because you're using "&diams." I'd be more than willing to fix this myself and change them to "&#9830," but I'm having trouble finding where I would do so.
If I'm reading you right, these are the Condition-named macros (e.g. Dazed, Slowed, Flying) on the Lib:Information token. Editing those edits the info panel shown when you click a condition link from the framework.
Third, I want monster/NPC stat sheets to display the monster's Rank (by which I mean minion/normal/elite/solo) to the players along with damage taken. I can get it to show on the stat sheet by adding a new campaign property with an asterisk, but doing so means it can only be edited directly from a token's properties tab and doesn't show up on the NPC sheet at all. Could you give me a bit of guidance as to how I could get it to show on, and be editable from, the NPC sheet?
Using the one that's there (it's the Class field), with an asterisk, ought to work.

-hC

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Also, DN: while I was checking for the answer to the above questions, I noticed that the Helpless condition's pop-up frame was mis-formatted. Can't see the word HELPLESS; it's tiny and black and run up against the 'Remove condition from token' link.

Edit: While I'm at it, the word 'Equipped' in 'Nothing Equiped' is spelled incorrectly in the power info frame.

-hC
Last edited by hyperactiveChipmunk on Fri May 08, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Hyperactive Chipmunk took care of the first one, well enough!
fifth_child wrote:Second, the formatting for the conditions' info panels is broken for Mac users like myself, I'm pretty sure because you're using "&diams." I'd be more than willing to fix this myself and change them to "&#9830," but I'm having trouble finding where I would do so.
Darn it! I -know- about this issue and I think I squished all of them on the sheets themselves, if not let me know. Totally forgot about the conditions... which isn't that big of an issue since I don't include much condition info (copywrite, don'tcha know!).

Conditions just display what ever is held in the corresponding macro of the same name on the Lib:Information token. There's nothing hardcoded in the display, it just shows the raw text or html in that specific macro. Most are empty aside from just the header, which shouldn't have ♦ in it. There is a condition template macro that is just the HTML to make condition displays similar to the examples (even has a copy from here to use with existing header line). They do have ♦ in them. They're usually in the second line after a tr valign=top right after the td and bg color. You could also drag it into a text editor and do a search/replace for them. Biggest pain the donkey would be the ongoing damage, since each has 4 and there are several damages... my helpful samples are not so helpful here. I recommend editing 1 and then just copy/pasting the bottom part that has the ♦ in it.
Like Hyperactive suggests, I put that sort of info in the Class property, which is accessible via the sheet. Just edit the campaign props to display Class on which ever stat-sheet you would like it to.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”