[D&D 4E] Rumble's D&D Combat Framework - Version 4

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: [D&D 4E] Rumble's D&D Combat Framework

Post by Rumble »

salmonella wrote: Here is what i found out:
If you have two identically named tokens, for me it was two orsik's, then the targeting macro will apparently choose at seemingly random which target to hit. I did see the range modifier in the attack after you mentioned the tooltip. Once i named the characters uniquely then i was able to get the macro to behave.
Ah, I see. I didn't know that would happen, but I guess it makes sense - it just finds whatever "Orsik" returns first when it goes looking, but that might not be the same one each time. I'm surprised it didn't automatically name the copy to "Orsik 1", but I guess that doesn't happen with PC tokens or something.

Anwyay, glad it worked out! Let me know how the framework works for you, or if you run into any more problems.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

salmonella wrote:Here is what i found out:
If you have two identically named tokens, for me it was two orsik's, then the targeting macro will apparently choose at seemingly random which target to hit. I did see the range modifier in the attack after you mentioned the tooltip. Once i named the characters uniquely then i was able to get the macro to behave.
This is an issue in MapTool, really. Anytime two things are named the same (tokens, macro buttons, JSON objects), you're probably going to have problems. It's a good habit to simply keep everything unique, like you did.
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Bump for an update. Version 2 (named rumble_framework_2.cmpgn, so you don't save over an older copy) is now available at the link in the first post - a few minor tweaks and updates.

I see more lag in operation now; I may not add much more to this framework before looking at a major rewrite to use "invisible" properties in the attempts to speed things along.

Tsem
Kobold

Post by Tsem »

Hello, I'm having some trouble adding the Warlord's Skake it Off utility power, and noticed something about crits that I was hoping I could get some feedback.

First on the subject of damage, in testing I noticed that when an attack crits the standard rolled damage was being applied and the bonus critical dmg was not being done and allocated. As an example, I set the Packrunner HP to 100 and on one crit the showed
Target 1: Packrunner (29 vs. Reflex), 9 damage « crit = critical »
the HP count only went from 88 to 79 - showing that only the standard damage was allocated. I have the critical property on the power set to 1d8+15 (I have a +1 longsword so max damage is 8 + 7 (bonuses) + the additional d8).

And lastly, I saw that Utility powers were not handled very elegantly so I'm just posting here in case anyone's found a creative option. here's the power description:
Minor action, Martial keyword, Ranged 10, Encounter power.
Target: you or one ally
Effect: target makes saving throw with a bonus equal to CHA modifier (which is +2)

here's the power setup according to the Powers token property:
{"Shake it OFF":{"powername":"Shake it OFF", "keywords":"Martial", "action":"minor", "usage":"encounter", "attackType":"ranged", "rangeText":"ranged 10", "nominalRange":10, "maximumRange":10, "reliable":0, "rechargeOn":0, "attack":0, "against":"AC", "targets":"targets allies", "damage":0, "critdamage":0, "damageType":"", "requirements":"--none--", "hitEffect":"--none--", "missEffect":"--none--", "alwaysEffect": "Tarrant or an ally makes a saving throw with a power modifier or +2", "appStateHit":"None", "appStateMiss":"None", "appStateAlways":"None", "expended":"Available"}}
When I test this macro within range of the other PC tokens and the creature tokens, the first thing that happens is that the values dialogue box shows up but the Targets are listed as checkboxes (I guess to represent burst?) and only the creatures are listed and not the allies. The second problem is that I get the following error:
java.lang.ArithmeticException: Division undefined error executing expression: bar.Health=CurrHP/MaxHP
I know that the second issue has to do with the damage entry but it's really not meant to represent damage.

Hope this is enough info, this is a great framework! Appreciate all the help.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I'll have to look into the critical hit stuff, but in the latest update I've disabled "targets allies" as a feature (I have to sit down and work on powers that target allies, since it requires a few additional things I have to work out). So at this point, it's not just inelegant, it's absent!

I will look into the critical hits stuff, though.

Tsem
Kobold

Post by Tsem »

Rumble wrote:<snip>So at this point, it's not just inelegant, it's absent!
AH! Then that explains it perfectly :lol:
Rumble wrote:I will look into the critical hits stuff, though.
Thanks for the quick reply, like I mentioned before it's a very easy framework to work with, great job so far!

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Rumble wrote:I'll have to look into the critical hit stuff, but in the latest update I've disabled "targets allies" as a feature (I have to sit down and work on powers that target allies, since it requires a few additional things I have to work out). So at this point, it's not just inelegant, it's absent!

After talking to Veggiesama, he mentioned things like domination and how that can "break" existing character macros. One thought, I brought up in his thread was to use getTokens() twice with two different sets of json filters and set them to two temp arrays. Then, do whatever other stuff you want to do to the arrays (sort by x field for example). Then merge the two arrays in the correct order based on the token type of the calling token. So if the current token isPC() = true, then the NPC's get put at the top and the PC's get put at the bottom and visaversa. I hope that makes sense. Not particularly elegant most of the time, BUT it could account for some funny rules though.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I'm actually in a momentary break in our weekly game, and I confirm that the critical hits are not being properly handled - it appears to be rolling normal weapon damage every time, so I will have to get in there and see why that stopped working. It's probably a logic error (I'd made some changes in the way information is handed off between macros, so I may have overlooked something important!).

Thanks for the heads up, and I'll see if I can fix it today.

Edit: Aaaand, I found it. Just a dumb error on my part - I was doing a comparison to assign the proper damage, and it turned out that I had changed one of the things being compared without remembering to change it everywhere. I'll drop the new version on my server ASAP.

salmonella
Kobold

Post by salmonella »

Hunters quarry: this should allow you to specify the nearest enemy as your quarry. the macro does not work correctly for designation.

. = empty
x = monster
0 = hunter

. . . X.
. . . ..
0 . . .X

Both monsters are quarryable in this case even though the diagonals make the upper one closer.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

salmonella wrote:Hunters quarry: this should allow you to specify the nearest enemy as your quarry. the macro does not work correctly for designation.

. = empty
x = monster
0 = hunter

. . . X.
. . . ..
0 . . .X

Both monsters are quarryable in this case even though the diagonals make the upper one closer.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, diagonal and horizontal distance in 4E is the same, so that should not affect who is closer. On the other hand, it may be an artifact of using different distance-per-cell (which should be irrelevant to the macro, but I'll check!)

Thanks!

Edited to add: I just tried the layout you illustrated and it worked for me (only letting the upper monster be quarried) - I'll look at the code to make sure I haven't got a setting wrong somewhere.

salmonella
Kobold

Post by salmonella »

Here is the attached screenshot
rumblequarry.jpg
rumblequarry.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 2420 times

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Odd. I just PM'd you - I don't get that result when I do it. Here's a question: had you adjusted the grid at all since you opened the campaign? I know that token position is not always correct if the grid size or position was adjusted.

My screenshot is:

salmonella
Kobold

Post by salmonella »

It may be my setup. Veggiesamas hates me too despite the shrine i built in his honor.

I have fresh installs of java and maptools downloads.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

salmonella wrote:It may be my setup. Veggiesamas hates me too despite the shrine i built in his honor.

I have fresh installs of java and maptools downloads.
Yeah, that's very strange - I cannot explain why that's happening here.

Edit: ah, okay, maybe this - go to Edit > Preferences. In the box for "Maps", look at "Movement Metric" - is it set to "ONE_TWO_ONE?"

If so, change it to ONE_ONE_ONE and it would probably fix the issue (under that metric, diagonals are 2 squares of movement).

salmonella
Kobold

Post by salmonella »

That seemed to do it. I swear there is somethign wrong with me.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”