[RESOLVED] How do I bring back a campaign from an old MT version?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

RedDog
Dragon

[RESOLVED] How do I bring back a campaign from an old MT version?

Post by RedDog »

A number of years ago I used to tinker with Maptools a-lot. This is back around 2008 at maptool-1.3.b56. I put it down for a number of years, but I'd like to take a look at these projects again as I am thinking of reviving one or more, but I am unable to open them.

I have the Maptool versions from maptool-1.3.b24. through maptool-1.3.b91. Maptools will run, but the campaigns will not load. There is no error message to go by. It just goes back tot he Maptools base screen. I guess there is some difference with Windows 10 vs Windows 7 or the newer java versions.

Can anyone offer some advice on how I might be able to open these campaigns to view them and possibly even bring them up to date with the latest MT?
Last edited by RedDog on Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

metatheurgist
Dragon

Re: How do I bring back a campaign from an old MT version?

Post by metatheurgist »

Usually you step the save file up through versions of maptool, by loading and saving a few versions up from the old version until you get to the latest.

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

metatheurgist wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:46 am
Usually you step the save file up through versions of maptool, by loading and saving a few versions up from the old version until you get to the latest.
I appreciate the reply. I am happy to say that I found a copy of the files I wanted to open from 1.3.b85 that I was able to open in 1.9.3. I've got access to all of the things I was hoping for.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

RedDog wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:39 am
I appreciate the reply. I am happy to say that I found a copy of the files I wanted to open from 1.3.b85 that I was able to open in 1.9.3. I've got access to all of the things I was hoping for.
Not bad. 1.3.b85 is a 10.5 year old release. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

RedDog
Dragon

Re: [RESOLVED] How do I bring back a campaign from an old MT version?

Post by RedDog »

It is pretty impressive, isn't it?? :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: [RESOLVED] How do I bring back a campaign from an old MT version?

Post by Azhrei »

Wow. That's great to hear!

Maybe I'll be able to recover and use some of my campaign files from 1.3b45 (circa 2008). That's cool, cuz I'm considering running a new group through that series and I'd like to not have to redo everything. (Fortunately, I saved a lot of the stuff separately, too: tables, rptoks, macros, and campaign properties.)

Return to “General Discussion”