A New Blog: The Dice of Life

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Amaril
Great Wyrm

A New Blog: The Dice of Life

Post by Amaril »

I know many of us are RPG enthusiasts with very little time on our hands. Most of us have full-time jobs, families, non-gamer friends, and other hobbies.

Well, snikle, RPTroll, and I have created a new blog titled The Dice of Life that we hope will provide new (or old) ideas and resources to help you manage your work-life-gaming balance. In addition, we'll be including a series of gaming content, fictional short stories, and themed recurring article series. We're also hoping to include an advice column in which we'll post questions from readers and let you answer with your own suggestions and ideas.

If you're interested, I encourage you to either subscribe to the blog or use the following feature, both of which are available in the blog's sidebar.
Kristian

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Re: A New Blog: The Dice of Life

Post by Amaril »

In case you missed it, snikle and RPTroll have posted their introductions/personal gaming histories. Get to know these two a little more, and don't forget to subscribe to see RPTroll's fiction writing mastery and snikle's latest upcoming one-sheet adventure.

Also, we mention MapTool a lot! ;)
Kristian

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Ah, they don't want to know more about me!

I am openly soliciting ideas for future 1PageAdventures (1PA), so if you have any ideas, let me know. Plus I will be looking for some people to provide stats for other systems besides just Risus (since I know no one here like rules-lite game systems.....mumble mumble).
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Read it.
Liked it.
Kinda amusing to see a part of yourself in a gaming life story when you live in a different country, different culture and/or different "era".
ImageImageImageImage

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Natha wrote:Read it.
Liked it.
Kinda amusing to see a part of yourself in a gaming life story when you live in a different country, different culture and/or different "era".
That's what we were hoping for. We want our readers to get a sense of connection, to be able to relate to us and to know that we relate to them as well.

Thanks for reading. :)
Kristian

Foo Dog
Giant

Post by Foo Dog »

I am Foo Dog and I approve of this blog.

Time for me to put on my Savage Worlds hat and boots and start running a game!
Time Zone: Pacific (GMT-7)
* Running "Age of Might", 4E D&D, Tuesdays 6:30pm-10pm Pacific (GMT -7).
See the Age of Might Wiki for details.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Foo Dog wrote:I am Foo Dog and I approve of this blog.
Awesome! Wait until we start putting out real content!
Kristian

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Foo Dog wrote:I am Foo Dog and I approve of this blog.

Time for me to put on my Savage Worlds hat and boots and start running a game!
I've been angered by your absence. :evil:

For Savages and others, I think we should make a GMs night out. Let the GMs actually play a game rather than run it. I've got a Zombie Run for tonight at 9.

Bring a token to drop. It must be a semi-regular joe (or joan as the case may be). We'll use sky since RP Miller can't make it. :-) If you want to create a character before hand thats' fine otherwise I'll have some pregen stats.

Look for RPTroll's Zombies!!!! or some such in the server list. No password.

if you don't have time to play, drop by and play a zombie and try to eat your fellow forum posters before they blow/bash/or gish your brains out.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

I might stop in early and try to eat some bbbrraaaaiiiinnnnnssssssss
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

New fiction based on Nazis in Spaaaaaaaaace from the infamous RPTroll.

Also, don't miss snikle's latest 1PageAdventure!
Kristian

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

New stuff on the Dice of Life including features on Gaming with Google and advice for the Time Crunched Gamer.

heyes
Giant

Post by heyes »

I am really digging this blog, but it is totally depressing me. Half of the articles are about why as you grow up you must eventually experience the slow death of your gaming life as your social life is rent into itty bitty pieces and sacrificed to your kids and spouse. The other half is about all the tools that can prolong this slow death by playing your rpgs through various networking media.

I choose option #2!

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Ah, but you see, we are slowly tearing you down, only to reveal in the third act the ways you can combat this slow death and revitalize your gaming in your later years! All part of the plan, my friend, all part of the plan.....
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

heyes wrote:I am really digging this blog, but it is totally depressing me. Half of the articles are about why as you grow up you must eventually experience the slow death of your gaming life as your social life is rent into itty bitty pieces and sacrificed to your kids and spouse. The other half is about all the tools that can prolong this slow death by playing your rpgs through various networking media.

I choose option #2!
But its more like a reworking and reshaping not a slow death. When you decide to get married, you know (or at least you should) that some aspects of your life will diminish but new aspects grow and flourish. IMO, wives and children complete a man. They add substance and fulfillment more so than any all weekender campaign. You may imagine adventures in gaming but there is nothing like the victory associated with raising children. No imagined glory comes close to holding your child for the first time. No conquest is as great as hearing 'I do' from the woman you love on your wedding day.

So, yes, we are nostalgic for our gaming days but I wouldn't give up my current life in order to have them back. :D

And, we hope to show you ways to keep your gaming life and have a spouse and children at the same time. At least that's the goal.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

heyes wrote:I am really digging this blog, but it is totally depressing me. Half of the articles are about why as you grow up you must eventually experience the slow death of your gaming life as your social life is rent into itty bitty pieces and sacrificed to your kids and spouse. The other half is about all the tools that can prolong this slow death by playing your rpgs through various networking media.

I choose option #2!
It's certainly not our intent to depress anyone. The idea is to facilitate that transition in such a way that you can continue to enjoy RPGs. If we're missing that mark, please drop a comment on the particular post(s) to let us know.

The reality is that personal and professional responsibilities do draw upon your time and energy, which is warranted. As a result, you essentially go through the Kübler-Ross grief cycle. We're trying to provide resources as well as personal insights to help those experiencing these transitions to deal with the change management.

This is totally going to be my next article. heyes, do you mind if I reference your post?
Kristian

Return to “General Discussion”