Pathfinder subscription service?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Stitched
Dragon

Pathfinder subscription service?

Post by Stitched »

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/pa ... 48btpy88qu

Has anyone here signed up for it? Can you explain to me how it works?

I added it to my Cart to see how much it costs and it listed the Cover Price of the product (in this case, it was the main Pathfinder Rules book).

From the site:
The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game product page features a list of upcoming releases. With your ongoing subscription, we'll automatically send you new Pathfinder Roleplaying Game products as they are released, charging your credit card only as we ship each item. You'll only need to sign up once, and never need to worry about renewal notices!

As a subscriber benefit, we'll throw in a FREE PDF of each product that you'll be able to download immediately after we ship your subscriber copy.

Best of all, you can choose the shipping method that works best for you and bundle your Pathfinder Roleplaying Game ongoing subscription with other Paizo subscriptions to save money on shipping!
So is the subscription Yearly? Monthly? Quarterly? Per product?

//Stitched//

Paradox
Dragon

Re: Pathfinder subscription service?

Post by Paradox »

Well..

Just bear in mind that Paizo offers more than one subscription. They have a subscription for each product line. Some of your questions will have different answers based on the subscription we're talking about.

The subscription you're pointing at, the Core Rules Subscription, comes out per product. In other words, when they're ready to release a book. The Core Rules are supposed to be limited to only 3 to 4 releases per year. This year they have the CORE book in August, and the Bestiary in September, and a GM Screen (not sure when) and that is it for the rest of 2009. In early February 2010 they'll have a 'GameMastery' book with variant rules and tips for GMing.

The Adventure Path Subscription is Monthly, and they work pretty hard on keeping it monthly, though with customs and internal stuff, it's slipped a few weeks once or twice.

The Companion Books are bi-monthly (at best).

The Modules are bi-monthly, but they have slipped a few times and shipped a week late as well.

The Chronicles doesn't have a set schedule, but have been coming out monthly as near as I can tell.

The advantage of these subscriptions is that you have access to a PDF of the product. A nice bookmarked PDF, not a scan, and you can lift them maps out of them pretty easily. You can get the books cheaper from Amazon, but you don't get the PDF that way. That's their incentive from buying directly from them.

They have some good shipping options now, so I have all my books sent in one package, once a month.

They have another incentive program. If you subscribe specifically to the Adventure Path Subscription (the one that is specifically monthly) you can get the Pathfinder Advantage.
Pathfinder Adventure Path subscribers also receive the Pathfinder Advantage: 15% off of suggested retail price of all products on paizo.com, with the exception of non-Paizo downloadable files. (In the case of collectible products, the 15% discount will be taken off of Paizo's regular offering price.) This discount even applies to other Paizo subscriptions that aren't normally discounted! (If you already subscribe to these products, you need do nothing—appropriate discounts will be applied automatically.) With the Pathfinder Advantage, you can save on over 20,000 gaming products in the paizo.com store.
Understand, the Adventure Path books are their bread and butter and monthly cash flow. That's why they offer the discount specifically for that subscription.

In my case, I susbscribe to pretty much everything pertaining to the campaign setting.. so I get Adventure Path, Chronicles, Companion, and now the Core Rules. And I get 15% off of all of those subscriptions. However, I only receive that because of the Adventure Path subscription. Remove that one, and I lose the discount.

In your specific case.. being overseas.. There might be a better option if you can buy it locally. The CORE book is quite large and the shipping overseas is pretty high. If you have a game shop that is going to have it in stock, you could just buy the PDF for $9.99 seperately.

The PDFs are usually not that cheap, the Core Book is a special exception because they're being very aggressive in getting it out to as many people as possible. If available you could buy the Core book from your local shop, save the shipping, and buy the PDF seperately- and save money. That's not my idea, that comes from Erik Mona, the publisher.

But again, PDFs won't usually be that inexpensive, so overall the subcsriptions can be pretty good deals.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Paradox on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

I got to thinking that I better explain the differences in the product lines, so you understand each different subscription.

CORE RULES: Are just that, core rules. They assume no campaign setting and are generic for either a homebrew setting, or a third party publisher.

ADVENTURE PATH: These are sets of (6) chapters that will take players from 1st to 14-17th level (on average). An entire campaign arc, which is set in their campaign world of Golarion. Other books (like the Chronicles and Companion books) can supplement these, but are not necessary). They're 96 pages, and broken down into sections. Obviously one part is the adventure, but the other parts are support articles (like monster Ecologies, Deity write-ups, and more varied topics- all topical to the campaign but can be used in any game), usually 6 new monsters with detailed write-ups, and a small chapter of ongoing fiction. The intent is that you have something good to read and use whether you're actively running the campaign that moment or not. MONTHLY, AGAIN, THIS ONE GIVES THE DISCOUNT THAT APPLIES TO ALL THE OTHERS

COMPANION BOOKS: Small 32 page books that are 100% player friendly. They are set in the campaign setting of Golarion. They are broken down into small chapters, and are usually centered around a specific nation or region, or race. They're also sometimes the 'Player's Guide' to the latest Adventure Path coming out (see above). Everything inside is safe for players. Content is usally about a race, or a culture.. a little history from a player's perspective, usually some new magic items that are either racial or cultural. Background traits. Everything a player needs to flesh out a character from a specific part of the campaign setting. COMES OUT EVERY TWO MONTHS

CHRONICLES: These vary a lot, but again, they're all covering topics within the campaign setting (but some are easily taken into other games). They might be a comrehensive look at a particular region, or city state. Some of them have been an in-depth examination of classic monsters, and how they fit in the campaign setting. The ration between player friendly and GM-only content is mixed. Usually they try to confine all the big secrets to one specific chapter, but it varies.

MODULES: Just like they sound.. these are 32 page adventures, covering a different range of levels and types (urban, dungeon, wilderness, etc..). They are set in the campaign setting too, but they're also designed to be easily transportable to any campaign setting or world. COMES OUT EVERY TWO MONTHS

Hope that helps!
Last edited by Paradox on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Zandari
Cave Troll

Post by Zandari »

I am going to hop in here and toss in my 2 cents' worth.

I subscribed to the Adventure Path, the Chronicles, and the Companion for the duration of the Drow adventures (Second Darkness). During that time, I received the full Adventure Path (six books taking you from 1st to about 15th level), 4 Chronicles, and 3 Companions. It cost me around $25-40 each month, depending on what came that month, and I got the AP discount on the Chronicles and Companion. I also took advantage of getting that AP discount to buy the Campaign Setting and a few other things.

I suppose that, over the course, of 6 months or so, I ended up dropping around $200 on this stuff, which seems like a lot, on the face of it, but it's REALLY, REALLY GOOD stuff. I would have spent more on it trying to pick it up at the FLGS (especially since MY FLGS doesn't carry it, and I would have had to drive an hour each way to find one that does. I could have picked it up on Amazon, I suppose, but I loved that I would, every so often, get what amounted to a surprise party in my mailbox, not to mention that I got to download very high quality bookmarked PDFs of each product.

If you are going to play 3.5 or the Pathfinder RPG, you can't beat this stuff. I cancelled my subscription because my group all turned to 4e (traitorous scum!) and I wasn't getting any use out of the goodies, but if I were to find a new group, I would happily re-subscribe. This product line is that good.

Plus, by subscribing you are more directly supporting a really great game company. They aren't paying fees to Amazon or B&N or whoever to carry their product. More of your money gets to pour back in to hiring great artists, writers, editors, and game designers. Wouldn't you rather pay those guys than dropping the same amount of money +10% to the government (depending on where you live, of course)?

That's just my opinion, of course.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Zandari wrote:If you are going to play 3.5 or the Pathfinder RPG, you can't beat this stuff.
I heartily agree! The Paizo staff have some excellent work on the AP series and I can't wait to see the Final ruleset in August.

That said, money is tight right now and after the last chapter of Legacy of Fire arrives, I'm downloading the accompanying (free) PDF and canceling my subscription. It's only about $20/mo, but I haven't had a gig in awhile and I need to save whatever/wherever I can.

I do plan to purchase the $10 PDF of the rules, though. I don't know about the hardcover. If I subscribe, I get the hardcover for $50 and the PDF is free. But...

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Sorry I missed this thread and posted elsewhere.

One more question:
When you subscribe to a plan how is charged? Is it whenever the products that you subscribe to come out, they just auto charge your account. S in other words you get charged automatically when a product comes out that fits your scubscription (e.g. whether or not you want that specific product).

thanks for the the Q&A!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

ooohoooh another question :wink:

The interior of the products, good art and crap throughout? Reason I ask is I do not play Pathfinder or 3.x I just love their art, maps, and production values and often use those as inspiration. So I am trying to find out if it will be worth to have or not (I highly value inspirational products over mechanical jargon). Would really like a pdf only subscription, but I did not see that anywhere.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

harchunk
Giant

Post by harchunk »

Are they going to release Prestige classes?

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

I'm a little confused.. But I think I can puzzle out your questions.

1.) You don't get charged until the product is in their warehouse and they're ready to put the shipping label on. Then they charge your credit card, and unlock your download. Sometimes books are late from the printers, so if they don't physically have it in their position- they don't charge you for it.

(Now.. You might not make this mistake, but about every week someone pisses their pants, because they notice that their credit card has been "charged" but nothing ships. That is not the case. When the books are about to hit the warehouse they put a little 'holder' on your card to make sure its not going to be declined. Your card is not charged at that time. That's a pretty standard operating procedure for this kind of business model, but every week someone posts on the messageboards having a stroke about it. They do this because they have a subscriber base in the thousands, and the guys in the warehouse try to get the latest books out in a timely manner. So there's a check on the credit cards a few days before the process starts. So when they start shipping those billing details are already worked out)

2.) When you subscribe, you're subscribing to that entire product line. So, if you subscribe to the modules, you get all the modules books. (

That starts from when you subscribe- they don't go backwards with older books. But older books are always available for seperate purchase in paper and PDF. I'm just drawing the distinction that they don't start you at the beginning, but rather with the latest title.

Now what if you don't want all the modules, in this example, but just certain ones? Eeeh.. you just don't subscribe then? Just buy the ones you want? What happens is that you either get the book or the PDF (you choice) but you don't get both.

Getting the PDF is the incentive for subscribing. If you don't subscribe, you don't get the incentive. You can still get the PDF, but as a seperate purchase.

The one that is different is the Adventure Path Subscription. That gives you the 15% discount. Which you can apply to other subscriptions, or just to other indvidual purchases.

I hope that helps, if not, try me again!

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

snikle wrote:ooohoooh another question :wink:

The interior of the products, good art and crap throughout? Reason I ask is I do not play Pathfinder or 3.x I just love their art, maps, and production values and often use those as inspiration. So I am trying to find out if it will be worth to have or not (I highly value inspirational products over mechanical jargon). Would really like a pdf only subscription, but I did not see that anywhere.

The production quality is top notch. They especially got better after the first Adventure Path. The latest AP, Legacy of Fire was amazing in terms of art, maps, and writing.

Azhrei is a subscriber and I think he'll back me up. They know their stuff is not the cheapest on the market, but the production values reflect that. Good paper, good art, good stuff.

As I mentioned earlier in *this* thread, the Adventure Path subscription gives you a mix of different articles.. so you always have a good mix of adventure, new monsters, fiction, and support articles.

No.. they don't have just a PDF subscription I'm afraid. They need to move print products in order to make their business model work correctly. The PDF is just an incentive to subscribe and buy from them.

Snikle,

May I suggest if you're not interested specifically in the adventures, or the game systems.. They have map folios of the Adventure Paths which you can buy in PDF format. They're maps of just all the dungeons and encounter areas and nothing else. You could buy those and not subscribe to anything, if that's all you want.

Here's a few links to their stores:

SECOND DARKNESS CAMPAIGN
http://paizo.com/store/paizo/pathfinder ... 48btpy86v0

CURSE OF THE CRIMSON THRONE CAMPAIGN
http://paizo.com/store/paizo/pathfinder ... 48btpy84ep

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

harchunk wrote:Are they going to release Prestige classes?
Interesting question..

On August 13th, at GenCon, they releasing their final Core Rules.. which are a complete revision of 3.5.

Skipping the sales pitch a little, one of their design goals was to make each of the core classes more attractive to play.

However, those core rules do have a complete revision of all the Prestige Classes you would find in the OGL DMG, as well as a new one of their own devising.

The Shadow Dancer was previewed, entirely (not half of the class write-up but all of it), in Kobold Quarterly #10 that just went on sale.

Now I'm acquainted with Wolfgang Baur, so I have to suggest you go to Paizo and buy this awesome issue of a great magazine.. but an active discussion about the revision is going on at the Paizo Boards right now.. along with some of the juicy bits of the article. That is going to be indicative of how Prestige Classes are being revised.

You can read that discussion here: http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/pa ... 05FromKQ10

I do know, as a matter of policy, Paizo is less enamored of Prestige Classes than other publishers. They saw the Core Classes weakened by countless splatbooks. Having said that, they do see a place for Prestige Classes in their Core Game and in their Campaign Setting.
But they take this approach-
1.) One does not need a ton of sloppy PrCs
2.) They are specialized classes
3.) Obtaining a level in a PrC should be "prestigious", a real goal to work towards, not just something you take because you qualify for it.
4.) They shouldn't replace Core Classes because of mechanical superiority. A PrC is something you take because you see it as a cool character to play, not because the Core Fighter sucks in comparision and taking a PrC is the only logical choice.

Having said that, go read the thread on Paizo and see what you think!

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Paradox, thanks for the input, I think I will buy a couple of the Adventure Path pdfs and check them out, like I said I want them merely for entertainment and inspiration value (and the wife would freak if I suddenly started getting a large gaming library :roll:). I noticed Rob Lazzaretti did the carto on second darkness, that will be a purchase. :D

Oh god lord, they don't except Paypal? What archaic backwoods sort of operation are they running here?!?!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

snikle wrote:Paradox, thanks for the input, I think I will buy a couple of the Adventure Path pdfs and check them out, like I said I want them merely for entertainment and inspiration value (and the wife would freak if I suddenly started getting a large gaming library :roll:). I noticed Rob Lazzaretti did the carto on second darkness, that will be a purchase. :D

Oh god lord, they don't except Paypal? What archaic backwoods sort of operation are they running here?!?!

Rob Lazzaretti does all of their maps. Especially for the Adventure Paths.

As for PayPal, this is from their FAQ
Can I use PayPal?
Not directly, but PayPal has a "Secure Card" program that lets US customers create single-use or multiple-use MasterCard numbers that function just like a MasterCard from our side, but draw from your PayPal account on your side. See PayPal's site for details. (If you're setting up a subscription, please provide a multiple-use account number.)

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Another note.. if you're going to buy a couple individual Adventure Path PDFs (assuming the PayPal thing doesn't kill the deal), then a couple of pointers and recommendations:

APs do cover a story arc.. from DnD's 1st level to about 14th-16th level. They are entire campaigns. So you're going to want to start with the first chapter of a story arc. Each Story arc goes for 6 books.

Legacy of Fire: Curse of the Carrion King is up for an Ennie right now, for best adventure of the Year. The fiction sections were written by Elaine Cunningham, who was a NYT Bestseller. It is a fine one to start with. Of course, the setting is middle eastern, with Genies and such.

If that is not to your taste, on August 13th, they're starting a brand new one. Council of Thieves. CoT will be using their new Pathfinder RPG system, as they convert all their products over to their new rules. I'm aware that you're not interested in the new system, and that's cool. However, they'll be selling their new Core Rule book in PDF for $10 bucks. Just say you got all wild and crazy one night.. You could actually run CoT in it's native game system for no more additional investment than 10 bucks. Adventure Paths include monster stat blocks and are self-contained. Addtional books can help but are never necessary. That $10 PDF rulebook will be the equivelent to the DMG and PHB, so you'd be all set.

Just food for thought.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Paradox wrote:The production quality is top notch. They especially got better after the first Adventure Path. The latest AP, Legacy of Fire was amazing in terms of art, maps, and writing.
Oh yeah... I can't think of any other product I've ever seen that was as nice: high quality gloss paper, very good artwork, spines that don't immediately come apart (!), and so on. I would say that the editorial review probably rates a 9 or 9.5 out of 10 (there are occasionally errors -- the text refers to something not shown on the map, for example).
Azhrei is a subscriber and I think he'll back me up. They know their stuff is not the cheapest on the market, but the production values reflect that. Good paper, good art, good stuff.
This is exactly the case. They tend to be pricey, but very good bang-for-the-buck.

Paradox warns that the APs are an entire story, but I think snikle is looking more for artwork (maps and geography notes) and character backgrounds.
snikle wrote:Oh god lord, they don't except Paypal? What archaic backwoods sort of operation are they running here?!?!
You do realize that Paypal is not a bank, right? They are not regulated by the Feds and get away with doing things that the banks would never be allowed to do. I'm just warning you about data security -- they are NOT held the same standards as other financial institutions and as a result, I refuse to use them for anything. Because they are not credit card companies they are not bound by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, for example. Being owned by the goofballs at eBay doesn't help their reputation IMO. :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”