Troll

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

User avatar
aku
Dragon
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Troll

Post by aku »

I'll agree with Jr, i dont really like either of those lists.

User avatar
CoveredInFish
Demigod
Posts: 3104
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:37 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Troll

Post by CoveredInFish »

I'd prefer the old ranks as well.

Maybe just rename the Troll to Cavetroll (or similar) to avoid confusion and leave the rest.

In general I think these ranks work best if they refer to titles/ranks/creatures and not abstract constructs.

User avatar
wolph42
Deity
Posts: 9852
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:40 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Troll

Post by wolph42 »

aku wrote:I'll agree with Jr, i dont really like either of those lists.


hmm forgot the smileys... like :wink: or :lol: it was more suggested as irony on the question whether it had to be 'monsters'. I didn't seriously expect to become a erm toddler?

Actually what's wrong with being a Troll? your big strong and you regenerate! Granted your also st000pid but so is nearly every monster suggested to take its place so far. Or is the language barrier filtering something here?

User avatar
CoveredInFish
Demigod
Posts: 3104
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:37 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Troll

Post by CoveredInFish »

My only "concern" (not that this is some kind of serious problem) with troll is the usual meaning in forums: wikipedia

Let me quote the summary:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response

User avatar
aliasmask
Deity
Posts: 8667
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: Troll

Post by aliasmask »

Since I started "blogging", Troll has a bad connotation of being someone who posts stuff just to make you mad and is usually pretty vulgar and retarded. Other than that, I love Trolls too... especially polymophing in to a Mountain Troll, muhaha.

User avatar
wolph42
Deity
Posts: 9852
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:40 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Troll

Post by wolph42 »

CoveredInFish wrote:My only "concern" (not that this is some kind of serious problem) with troll is the usual meaning in forums: wikipedia

Let me quote the summary:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response

aliasmask wrote:Since I started "blogging", Troll has a bad connotation of being someone who posts stuff just to make you mad and is usually pretty vulgar and retarded. Other than that, I love Trolls too... especially polymophing in to a Mountain Troll, muhaha.


I don't blog and it is indeed a language barrier thing, just didn't know. It does sound like common sense thus to change it. To erm... Toddler? 8)

User avatar
aku
Dragon
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Troll

Post by aku »

I would say to change it to a specific type of troll, ala "cave troll" or even "bridge troll" or some such

User avatar
RPTroll
TheBard
Posts: 3148
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:26 pm
Location: Austin, Tx
Contact:

Re: Troll

Post by RPTroll »

You're all a bunch of freakin' troll bigots.

Humph!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping
Image
Image

User avatar
aku
Dragon
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Troll

Post by aku »

RPTroll wrote:You're all a bunch of freakin' troll bigots.

Humph!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:



am not! i am a troll researcher, therefore it is imperative i know EXACTLY the type of troll that i am dealing with!

User avatar
Azhrei
Site Admin
Posts: 12061
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Troll

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, "Cave Troll" it is. :)

And I've shelved this for now unless someone comes up with a list that a majority agrees on. Although our top level is 5000 posts right now. We should probably have one more level beyond that at 10000.

User avatar
Jagged
Great Wyrm
Posts: 1306
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Troll

Post by Jagged »

Azhrei wrote:We should probably have one more level beyond that at 10000.


Forum Cartel

User avatar
Rumble
Deity
Posts: 6235
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Troll

Post by Rumble »

Holy cow, I'm in the 5,000+ post group?














...I've wasted my life... :D

User avatar
wolph42
Deity
Posts: 9852
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:40 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Troll

Post by wolph42 »

Rumble wrote:Holy cow, I'm in the 5,000+ post group?














...I've wasted my life... :D


Azhrei wrote:We should probably have one more level beyond that at 10000.


hmmm... 'Undead' maybe? As in "How do you kill that which has no life?" (Southpark: Make Love, Not Warcraft)

User avatar
Naryt
Dragon
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:55 am
Location: Near a tree, in a cave, under a rock.

Re: Troll

Post by Naryt »

I like the Troll label actually. It gives people a little shock at first and then a bit of a laugh, nothing too serious. :lol:

Oh, it looks like I'm back. 8)
A wandering lost soul

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”