Other VTTs?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: Other VTTs?

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote:Thanks for the kind words all!

With all the above in mind, here are my top priorities going forward:

Prettier
Easier to use (complexity is added as you grown into it)
more ruleset/framework centric

Oh yeah, with a heavy emphasis on scripting via javascript (a formal language for macros)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

trevor wrote:

Prettier

Oh yeah, with a heavy emphasis on scripting via javascript (a formal language for macros)

Oh thank goodness you were explicit on that... I am soo looking forward to that as being the first of the dev releases (along with the up pathing/VBL algorithm).
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Nonsapient
Cave Troll

Post by Nonsapient »

trevor wrote:

Prettier

Question: the only programming I've ever done is in Maptools. will I need to learn everything all over again?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

We are going to make it so that whatever stuff you learned now, will still work later, however there will be a lot more coding options to your disposal that work off the same logic but different commands to get it done.

But don't feel that you wasted your time, these current macro codes will still function.

(note: based on a conversation I had with Trevor months ago that my be subject to change so don't throw stones at me if it does)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

You know, I'd hate to lose my framework but I would be ok with the old macro code going away if it made the move to java script happen much sooner. My fear is that supporting the old stuff in a completely new code base might be difficult. So if keeping the old language delays javascript by half a year I'd rather toss the old stuff.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Nonsapient
Cave Troll

Post by Nonsapient »

RPTroll wrote:You know, I'd hate to lose my framework but I would be ok with the old macro code going away if it made the move to java script happen much sooner. My fear is that supporting the old stuff in a completely new code base might be difficult. So if keeping the old language delays javascript by half a year I'd rather toss the old stuff.

I agree. It gives me a reason to make my gaming time more productive (by learning javascript).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Nonsapient wrote:
RPTroll wrote:You know, I'd hate to lose my framework but I would be ok with the old macro code going away if it made the move to java script happen much sooner. My fear is that supporting the old stuff in a completely new code base might be difficult. So if keeping the old language delays javascript by half a year I'd rather toss the old stuff.

I agree. It gives me a reason to make my gaming time more productive (by learning javascript).

Agreed. I may become a macro noob again, but hey, it's another learning experience. And, after all, 1.3 isn't going to disappear - my frameworks will still have a place to live.

Relegating the existing macro language and parser to 1.3 only, if it makes 1.4 easier/more efficient/faster out the door, is perfectly fine with me.

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

Also agreed, add to the fact that javascript would mean learning to write macros for maptools means you'll learn skills useful in other places... and you get a lot of good in not letting the old macro code slow down the release.
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

I'm not tech savy, but a couple of my players are.. They tell me if javascript is actually implemented they think they could write their own macros and frameworks..

Don't let us hold up javascript implementation!
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Rumble wrote:Relegating the existing macro language and parser to 1.3 only, if it makes 1.4 easier/more efficient/faster out the door, is perfectly fine with me.

It has to stay in 1.4 at least, for the simple reason that if 1.3b64 is 1.3 final... then 1.3b65 is really 1.4b1. The plan is to keep going with the current code base and start adding from there, so macroscript isn't disappearing any time soon.

I could handle it being dropped from 1.5, but even having a basic version of it around isn't bad. The basics are useful for inline rolling.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

That presupposes the changes for 1.4 will be minor from 1.3 final. The past bears out your point. So, if the changes are minor then I agree.

However, if 1.4 is a major gutting and reconstruct I would say let the current macro language fall to the wayside if its going to slow things down AND javascript can be substituted.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

I suspect based on some of Trevor's past comments that 1.4 will have some fairly major gutting, notably the VBL and chat panel code which affects quite a few area's.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Poll/branch topic created.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12589

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:I suspect based on some of Trevor's past comments that 1.4 will have some fairly major gutting, notably the VBL and chat panel code which affects quite a few area's.

And let's not forget that putting some kind of permission scheme into place will likely affect almost every piece of the user interface of the application and the first one or two layers below that. I've been pretty busy lately (and sick to boot :() but I'll have to begin evangelizing for that permission scheme I wanted...

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Database connection or built in to. Javascript and database is the one - two punch. And movement blocking and elevation.

Return to “General Discussion”