Google Android Discussion

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

User avatar
loogie
Dragon
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by loogie »

for those interested...

the Hero has a built in MS Exchange server app, as far as i can tell, tho i don't have any to attempt to set it up on...

User avatar
Amaril
Great Wyrm
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by Amaril »

loogie wrote:for those interested...

the Hero has a built in MS Exchange server app, as far as i can tell, tho i don't have any to attempt to set it up on...

But that doesn't support tasks with details like MS Mobile does.

MS Mobile sucks as a smartphone, but if your primary need is to carry around and wirelessly have synchronized access to your exchance information, it can't be beat. If someone changes an appointment or adds a note to it, you have it on your phone instantly. If you want to grab someone's phone number off of the Active Data Directory, it's searchable from your phone.
Kristian

User avatar
loogie
Dragon
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by loogie »

not surprizing :P i've never tested it so i have no idea.

dorpond
RPTools Team
Posts: 5530
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:05 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by dorpond »

So let me ask, do all these smart phones suck with battery life?

At first I thought the Eris was decent with power but now, I am noticing I am almost dead at around 6pm. There is no question, I HAVE to charge this thing twice in a 24 hour period or I am doomed. That was my complaint with the Droid too.

Now my Blackberry that I have had for a couple years now doesn't need a charge for a couple, sometimes three days. I get all my exchange sent to it (no Blackberry Management Server however) so I keep in touch with work. That is a serious bonus to me..

Ugh, can we just have one device that is the best of all worlds? :P
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

User avatar
Amaril
Great Wyrm
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by Amaril »

dorpond wrote:So let me ask, do all these smart phones suck with battery life?

At first I thought the Eris was decent with power but now, I am noticing I am almost dead at around 6pm. There is no question, I HAVE to charge this thing twice in a 24 hour period or I am doomed. That was my complaint with the Droid too.

Now my Blackberry that I have had for a couple years now doesn't need a charge for a couple, sometimes three days. I get all my exchange sent to it (no Blackberry Management Server however) so I keep in touch with work. That is a serious bonus to me..

Ugh, can we just have one device that is the best of all worlds? :P
They all pretty much suck up battery life, but I know for certain that browsing the web will suck up the most.

Yeah, Blackberry's battery life is a little bit better, but darn I hate it's interface.
Kristian

User avatar
RPMiller
Demigod
Posts: 2555
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:23 am

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by RPMiller »

You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

User avatar
Amaril
Great Wyrm
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by Amaril »

Kristian

User avatar
Azhrei
Site Admin
Posts: 12057
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by Azhrei »

Amaril wrote:This is the real solution...
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2010/01/09/ces20 ... from-wifi/

Hah-hah! What a scam! Very imaginatively done, though; have to give them kudos on that. :)

Craig
Great Wyrm
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:53 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by Craig »

Azhrei wrote:
Amaril wrote:This is the real solution...
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2010/01/09/ces20 ... from-wifi/

Hah-hah! What a scam! Very imaginatively done, though; have to give them kudos on that. :)

Don't believe him it's great!
I am going to buy a couple thousand of these, a couple dozen wifi routers
plug them all in and it's all proft! Thermodynamics be damed!
I hear their next invention is a time machine that it is impossible
to cause a paradox while using as they have found a way around causality

User avatar
Rumble
Deity
Posts: 6235
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by Rumble »

Craig wrote:as they have found a way around causality




Note that the fact that they can avoid causality has nothing to do with its ability to avoid a paradox. It may be correlated, though.

DMFTodd
Cave Troll
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by DMFTodd »

Android's inability to synch Outlook Notes and Tasks is getting very annoying. I thought I'd live with it, but it's bugging me more and more.

dorpond
RPTools Team
Posts: 5530
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:05 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by dorpond »

DMFTodd wrote:Android's inability to synch Outlook Notes and Tasks is getting very annoying. I thought I'd live with it, but it's bugging me more and more.


Yeah, that's what worries me..

I think it was stupid of Google to not included a notes app in Android because if there was, phone makers and app developers could then create a solution to sync up Android to Outlook. Let's face it - if there is no Notes app, then what would it sync too? So now what we have are a bunch of 3rd party notes programs and no real good way of getting the Outlook notes into it.

For example, the HTC Eris has the ability to Sync Outlook via USB -- but it doesn't include Notes or Tasks - Why? Because there is no stock app for that. Stupid..

Or maybe it is smart on Googles behalf - maybe they planned that people would get so fed up that they eventually just migrate over to Googles cloud. *shrug*
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

User avatar
loogie
Dragon
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by loogie »

i'm not sure how its working, but my ms exchange server tasks are automatically added to my phones calendar... even though i haven't set up my exchange server for work... (there is some licensing issue that won't let me add it to my personal phone)... all i've done is set an auto forward rule to my gmail, and i believe its automatically adding all my tasks to the calendar... at least thats all i remember setting up... imagine my surprize when i got a remider for my meeting today... when i don't even remember setting anything up!

User avatar
Amaril
Great Wyrm
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by Amaril »

loogie wrote:i'm not sure how its working, but my ms exchange server tasks are automatically added to my phones calendar... even though i haven't set up my exchange server for work... (there is some licensing issue that won't let me add it to my personal phone)... all i've done is set an auto forward rule to my gmail, and i believe its automatically adding all my tasks to the calendar... at least thats all i remember setting up... imagine my surprize when i got a remider for my meeting today... when i don't even remember setting anything up!

Are you using CalDAV or iCal between Google Calendar and your Outlook/Exchange Calendar?
Kristian

User avatar
RPTroll
TheBard
Posts: 3148
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:26 pm
Location: Austin, Tx
Contact:

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by RPTroll »

Apple is suing HTC for patent infringement.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-sui ... ?x=0&.v=16
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping
Image
Image

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”