Google Android Discussion

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

Google Android Discussion

Post by dorpond »

[edit]
I shifted gears with this thread to be for people who want to discuss Google Android in general. So if you want to talk Android, feel free to post it hear; it can be anything from apps to application development to features - go nuts! :)

Thinking of replacing my Blackberry with a Verizon Droid. I currently connect to my exchange server via the exchange webmail interface - I am curious is Droid does it the same way. Think the Droid will be a good move for a business place?

I'm also curious if my I-Touch movies will work on it as-is. They weren't purchased through Itunes but rather converted by me via Handbrake using the I-phone setting. Anyone know if they will work with the Droid as is?

I see Citrix is making a client app for it to access remote applications - I hope it works as good as it sounds.

Anyway, I created this thread so us geeks can talk about the Droid - feel free to join in on the fun!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Darinth
Dragon

Re: Verizon Droid Discussion

Post by Darinth »

I have 2 people at work that have them and love them, that's unfortunately about as much as I can say about them off-hand. Coworkers keep bugging me to make them some sort of short java-app for their i-phones just so they can say they know someone who can program for them. *_*
Loyalty is not blind, and it cannot be forced. It is a sincere bond formed out of respect and gratitude.

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

No idea about the Verizon Droid, but I use a T-Mo G1 (running Android 1.6) and I use RoadSync to access my Exchange 2007 corporate email, which works flawlessly and won't fail when RIM goes offline :)

I dig the Android phones much more than my old Activesync/WinMo phone.

I don't own an iPod or use iTunes in any way, nor do I watch videos on my phone, so I couldn't tell you how all that sorts out.
The Cyberwolfe
----------------
Them: "Name one thing a PC can do that a Mac can't!"
Me: "Right-click."

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

thecyberwolfe wrote:No idea about the Verizon Droid, but I use a T-Mo G1 (running Android 1.6) and I use RoadSync to access my Exchange 2007 corporate email, which works flawlessly and won't fail when RIM goes offline :)
I got the impression that the Droid can connect to exchange out of the box - anyone know this for sure?
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Waiting on the Nexus One myself

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

dorpond wrote:
thecyberwolfe wrote:No idea about the Verizon Droid, but I use a T-Mo G1 (running Android 1.6) and I use RoadSync to access my Exchange 2007 corporate email, which works flawlessly and won't fail when RIM goes offline :)
I got the impression that the Droid can connect to exchange out of the box - anyone know this for sure?
Yes, I just configured one for one of our executives. It was simple, fast, and so far has worked flawlessly. Now I have everyone asking to switch their iPhones for Droids... *sigh* I told them at the very beginning to note buy iPhones, but does anyone listen to the IT professional...?
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

PRMiller, are you connecting to an exchange environment by chance? Does it connect via the webmail address like the Blackberry does (Blackberry without using the management server)? If so, how well does it work with Exchange?

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

dorpond wrote:PRMiller, are you connecting to an exchange environment by chance? Does it connect via the webmail address like the Blackberry does (Blackberry without using the management server)? If so, how well does it work with Exchange?
Yes, yes, and perfectly.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

kristof65
Dragon

Post by kristof65 »

RPMiller wrote: ...but does anyone listen to the IT professional...?
Surely this behaviour doesn't surprise you? I can undertand that it frustrates you, but c'mon, you can't tell me it surprises you? :D

We both know that their aunt's brother-in-law's barber's son in high school is better qualified to make tech recommendations than a mere IT professional. :shock:

I feel your pain - it happens to me all the time with the industrial equipment I do tech support on.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: Google Android Discussion

Post by dorpond »

I shifted gears with this thread to discuss Google Android in general. So if you want to talk Android, feel free to post it hear; it can be anything from apps to application development to features - anything, go nuts! :)

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

My new Hero is taking some getting used to - I'm calling people when trying to scroll in the contact list. Typing is taking some getting used. The automatic "correction" of words that are typed wrong is troublesome - my misspelled word gets the meaning across, the word Hero substitutes does not.

The internet is certainly better than the Pre was. Apps are kind of nice, just getting into that.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

The one thing I think is lacking from the Android OS... a 3D dice roller like Dicenomicon!
Kristian

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Being the curious fellow that I am, I downloaded the android SDK, and Eclipse (good for them for using something easy to use!).

Here are my impressions from a 'I'm not really a programmer, but I like to pretend' stand-point:
  • The documentation is top notch. As a semi-programming-literate person, this is important. Even for long-time devs, this is important, because Android has a LOT of unusual concepts and unique functions.
  • The emulator for devs is good, but like all such things has its limits.
  • Google seems to have done a good job of making the programming reasonably device agnostic. There is a built in method for handling differing screen resolutions, orientations & sizes.
  • Google's use of xml for building the interface is nice. You can also store text data in xml and it will parse it very easily without having to resort to strange function calls.
  • It does take some acclimatization.
I don't have either a Droid OR a Nexus One, but I've played with both, and they are very impressive devices. The voice-to-text module in the Nexus One is really cool. Both are hi-res devices and have good screens (note that the Nexus One seems to have more accurate touch).

This is just my opinion, but I personally think that android IS the new iphone. It's more open, easier to code for (geez, you mean I don't HAVE to own a mac to develop for the android? strange), and finally it is CHEAPER to get started.

I will be getting an android device just as soon as a good one comes to Sprint (YMMV by carrier). I've been with sprint going on 4 years now and I see NO reason to switch. The call quality is good and the coverage is too.

That's my take on it.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

I really wanna play with a Nexus One, but I'm kinda stuck with AT&T for work reasons (the building is very anti-radio, and AT&T's the only group with internal repeaters)...
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

After using the Verizon Droid for 30 days, I think I am going to stick with Black Berry (thinking Tour 2 when it is released).

My reasons:

1. Battery life. I am not in the habit of having to plug in a phone once or twice throughout the day. My BB lasts 3-4 days before I even have to charge it and all my Exchange e-mail and other e-mail accounts are always in sync.

2. I need my phone to keep me connected to work. We have an exchange environment and I use Outlook for everything. I have over 100 notes lots of tasks - syncing these with the Droid does not happen out of the box and the third party utilities don't meet my expectations.

Yes, the Droid does a lot of computing - it is a great hand held computer, but I need a business device that I can sync with Outlook, get my e-mails, and can hang in there for the long haul.

But the Droid doesn't suck - I will miss it terribly - if I was a home user or student, it would be a no brainer to pick that. For business, especially those tied to MS, BB still has the edge in my eyes.

Return to “General Discussion”