I got an AMAZING gadget for my birthday that ROCKS with MT!!

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

thelevitator
Dragon

I got an AMAZING gadget for my birthday that ROCKS with MT!!

Post by thelevitator »

Hey there everyone! I know I've been pretty quiet on here lately, but I'm still a faithful MT user. I've been putting the finishing touches on my new Fudge-based Sword & Sorcery RPG. But I've also been doing a lot of gaming! My birthday was Wednesday, and I ordered myself a little something that is just amazing!

It's called the Tablo, but I think it's been re-released by the company Pen & Free, as the Duo. It's basically a small USB device and digital pen that turns your laptop into a tablet PC! It works with everything I've thrown at it, including Maptools! It's really fun to use MT as a sort of whiteboard and whip up quick maps on the fly!

Here's a review on Slashgear: http://www.slashgear.com/hantech-siso-t ... y-2644675/. It has a nice demo video showing some of the things you can do with it.

You can find more information about it here a the Pen & Free website: http://www.penandfree.com/

The best thing about this little unit is that you can either write on your actual monitor (doesn't scratch the surface), or a notepad next to your laptop (it has an alternate tip that is an actual pen), or you can just use it in the air, like a WII remote. It only cost me $94 including the shipping, and I'm already thrilled with the purchase!

Anyways, I just wanted to share this here because I think it's an amazing addition to using MapTools on your laptop. :)
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

Stitched
Dragon

Re: I got an AMAZING gadget for my birthday that ROCKS with

Post by Stitched »

What I want to know is HOW you go it since I can't find it anywhere on the web, with the exception of the article you linked and their website (which didn't seem to have reseller information)...

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I bought mine through SizzleTwist: http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/n ... lo&x=0&y=0 and their shipping was really fast. I got it in 3 days.

It looks like this place has it too: http://a-power.com/product-9717-0-1

One thing I did learn is if you buy the Hantech Tablo version and are using Win7, download the drivers from the Pen & Free site, as they have the most recent drivers for the unit.

James Anthony

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I saw one of these awhile ago and was thinking about it. One of the limitations (of the one I was looking at) was that the screen had to be 15" or smaller.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

This really ooks cool but how exactly do you use it with Maptools? I mean i'm geeky enough to just buy one but I'm not sure how I woul use it with MT?
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Ryuu Kage Desu
Cave Troll

Post by Ryuu Kage Desu »

Looks sweet! I need to find it in a physical store, I can't buy any thing online right now. :cry:
Overcome your mental barriers and open your mind.
Do this and the answers that elude you will be placed at your feet.
Then again, answers are meaningless without the questions.

Ryuu Kage Desu
Cave Troll

Post by Ryuu Kage Desu »

mfrizzell wrote:This really ooks cool but how exactly do you use it with Maptools? I mean i'm geeky enough to just buy one but I'm not sure how I woul use it with MT?
It looks like it works as your mouse.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Full Bleed wrote:I saw one of these awhile ago and was thinking about it. One of the limitations (of the one I was looking at) was that the screen had to be 15" or smaller.

I saw that too, and I have a 17.5" laptop. I decided to risk it, since you have the option to use the pen on a pad of paper or in the air. It turns out that the new drivers found on the Pen & Free site allow for much larger monitors, and it does a great job of sensing your screen size during calibration. I can use every bit of my 17.5" screen with this unit, which is something they should definitely point out with the newer version. The calibration menu choices allow for up to a 25" monitor, or you can enter the size of your screen manually.

I'm still learning new ways to use this thing, but even as just a mouse and drawing tool, it's awesome! :) I constantly get people asking me questions about when I'm using it out in public. It's usually something like, "Whoa, are you drawing on your laptop screen????" LOL

One thing I will say is the the Pen & Free site still has some work to do in regards to making it easier to navigate. I've downloaded all of their software and I had to install each version separately in order to figure out which one works the best. Now that I know which one works best, I have it saved to my goput.it site. If anyone purchases this unit and wants to save themselves a bunch of time, PM me and I'll send you my goput.it download link. :)

James Anthony

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

mfrizzell wrote:This really ooks cool but how exactly do you use it with Maptools? I mean i'm geeky enough to just buy one but I'm not sure how I woul use it with MT?

You can use it 2 ways with MT. I use it as both a mouse for navigating around the screen, and as a drawing tool for whipping up maps on the fly.

For example, the party is ambushed on a desolated road by a group of bandits. I grab the Tablo and switch to the drawing tool in MT. I grab a texture that looks like dirt, and I draw the road. I then switch the brush to green, and I draw in the trees and brush in the area. I can then either switch to black to show the PC's wagon, or I normally just drop a wagon image onto the screen.

Once you have the tokens in place and the map sketched up, it's really cool being able to simply touch the tokens and slide them across the screen to move them around. The pen also has a right-click button to make panning the map really easy to use. Combined with my scroll mouse, I can do things much more quickly using both the pen and my mouse at the same time. I should point out that I'm left-handed, so this is pretty intuitive for me, as I use my mouse right-handed. But I imagine that someone who is right-handed can use the pen in their left hand just fine for grabbing and moving tokens, panning the screen or selecting groups of tokens.

One really cool feature of the Tablo is that you can quickly switch from mouse mode to pen mode, making it easy to switch from applications where you use the pen to those you don't.

I love the freedom of being able to create maps "on the fly"; reducing my pre-game prep and giving us more more flexibility in letting the story develop more naturally.

It's probably worth pointing out that we play Fudge/Fate games, so creating minions and monsters for a particular encounter only takes a few seconds. Also movement is measured in Zones, so we don't have to worry about square or hex movement, and use a gridless map. People playing crunchier games might find the pen's uses a bit more limiting, as maps aren't usually created on the fly. But I find working with maps and creating vision blocking much easier with the pen, as it just feels more intuitive than trying to "draw" with a mouse.

I will be using my Tablo this Sunday with my F2F group of 7 players. I will be happy to grab screenshots and post a session follow up to let you know how the device holds up "in real time". :)

James Anthony

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Ryuu Kage Desu wrote:
It looks like it works as your mouse.

Ryuu is correct, in regards to its use in MapTools. In drawing programs, it's also pressure sensitive so it works much more like a "real" pen or or brush. It has 3 "buttons"; the tip (which works as a left-click), and left-click and right-click buttons on the side of the unit, right where your index finger goes to grip the pen.

It's actually what they call a 6D device, so with the right applications, it works like a WII remote, in that it can judge spatial distance between the screen and the pen. I haven't even started exploring that aspect of the device yet, but it apparently makes games like 3D ping pong a lot more fun!

James Anthony

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

thelevitator wrote:I will be using my Tablo this Sunday with my F2F group of 7 players. I will be happy to grab screenshots and post a session follow up to let you know how the device holds up "in real time". :)
Thanks for the Info, I look forward to seeing your screen shots.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Ryuu Kage Desu
Cave Troll

Post by Ryuu Kage Desu »

The more I read, the more I want it. I am definitely going to be bugging the retailers.

On a side note, I would bet you have some good stories. Would you like to share?

Stitched
Dragon

Post by Stitched »

Hey thelevitator,

I noticed that the Canadian site only delivers to Canadian addresses. :(

I couldn't find International Shipping information from that Sizzle site (on checkout it only allows US addresses).

I did find THIS site, however, where you can do bulk orders so if you have friends in your area that use Maptools and laptops, it might be worthwhile to buy 4 and have them ship in one order.

http://www.citronid.com/china-wholesale ... pnf-818xm/

train850
Kobold

Post by train850 »

That rawks dood, anything to handle the fog of vision a lot cleaner. Especially when your on the john.

Return to “General Discussion”