Wizards VTT (re)announced

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

torstan
Great Wyrm

Wizards VTT (re)announced

Post by torstan »

So this went up today:
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/ ... tual_Table

They've dropped the 3D by the look of things and pared it back. This could well work quite nicely for them.

Maccwar
Cave Troll

Re: Wizards VTT (re)announced

Post by Maccwar »

Looks very familiar somehow.

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

Click for larger image.

I'm sorry but I can't get excited over that screenshot, it has a terrible interface. Probably only try this out if it was heavily automated, integrated with the other Insider tools, and moddable. Given their recent mistakes and the look of that dice roller, I find that unlikely.

edit:
the faq wrote:Q: Does the VT integrate with other web-based insider tools like the Character Builder or the upcoming web-based Monster Builder?
A: At this point the VT does not integrate with our web-based tools.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I mentioned this elsewhere, but that interface looks darn familiar. I can't tell if its because it's a mix of designs from various VTTs, or if it's from their original VTT demo movies, or what.

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

* Conspiracy mode * Have you noticed the chat message? I wondered where our favourite developer had gone!! :wink:

Sorry, couldn't help myself..

-- AidyBaby --
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

From the FAQ
Q: Is the VT a web-based program, or downloadable? Can I use it offline?
A: The VT is a web-based Java application with integrated voice chat. It requires a constant internet connection during use.
The plot thickens :twisted:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

It will also require a web connection. They're not clear if that's only because of the voice support or if the database of monsters, et al will only be available while online. And whether a DDI subscription will be needed (which I would imagine will be the case).

And yes, I noticed the Java as well. They finally wised up I guess? ;)

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

Azhrei wrote:It will also require a web connection.
I guess that's simply because it's supposed to be used as an online VTT.
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

AidyBaby wrote:
Azhrei wrote:It will also require a web connection.
I guess that's simply because it's supposed to be used as an online VTT.
That's what I would hope. But if there's enough functionality within the product itself it would certainly be nice to be able to use it offline as well. Imagine the gaming convention where the hosting group didn't pay for Internet access in the convention hall...

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

Worthless software. I bet the most it's going to have are dice rolls in chat and the initiative / hp tracker. Nothing at all like the functionality we have here with our frameworks. The only things is has going for it are a prettier, professional UI and maybe a chat lobby where DM's can announce a game and snag four to five players from people chatting.

Poor_Knight
Kobold

Post by Poor_Knight »

I have to agree. Based on that screen shot it looks very rigid and I'd anticipate a lack of functionality. Token movement, dungeon tile placement, voice chat, and a basic dice roller at best.

With the lack of DDI integration its just another VTT available on the net. Just a pretty toy in a shiny wrapper that doesn't come with the batteries and will break after a few uses. I'll keep playing with MT ;)
http://mydndgame.com
It's your game!

RPGA: 9100807684

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

WotC can provide a quality product only if it is able to
1) Do the work for you (optionally) - this is one thing that would set it apart from your typical VTT and they could do an even better job than frameworks since it could be coded and tuned to just that system.

2) Integrate with compendium, character builder, etc... something that is tough right now for MT (though we COULD do it if someone built in a library for webservice calls :)

3) Offer quality art, prebuilt adventures, and other fine things that we can't get as quickly and easily as a google search away.

Right now it looks like it fails on all three fronts. I see no evidence of true automation, I don't think the art is any better than I could do with rpgmapshare & tokentool, and there isn't integration. In fact, one is written in java and one in silverlight ::scratches head::

I had some faith in them on this, they were somewhat successful with the Duels of the Planeswalkers games, and while I don't think that dev has been as quick to respond to bugs as I'd want, I would imagine they could at least find someone to develop a quality product.

I really believe their best bet for a system-specific VT would be Xbox Live Arcade. Voice connection, check. Connected to a market that makes it easy to buy small items like token packs, maps, adventures, check. Existing libraries to use to create your app w/ minimal work on your part, check... plus it would let them control content a little bit more (I know we wouldn't like that, but I think for them it's a smart move).

Oh well. My only concern is price and how they set it up. I don't really enjoy the Dungeon / Dragon content anymore, but I love the compendium and character builder. I doubt I'll use their VT, so if they end up forcing me into $15 a month I don't think I can justify a sub any longer.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Hawke wrote: In fact, one is written in java and one in silverlight ::scratches head::
errr... web services... :roll:
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Hawke wrote: In fact, one is written in java and one in silverlight ::scratches head::
You're right - they can definitely still interact from the same database of powers etc. even with different frontends. I shouldn't be overly critical of the future intergration, though it currently isn't integrated. Thanks for keeping me fair :)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Hawke wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:
You're right - they can definitely still interact from the same database of powers etc. even with different frontends. I shouldn't be overly critical of the future intergration, though it currently isn't integrated. Thanks for keeping me fair :)
Heh.. welll... Not a big deal.. Personally, I am really wishing I did not just re-up my subscription last month. The new CB is much more limited that the old one(one of the main reasons I used DDI in the first place) and not being able to use the new one offline is really going make it that much useless. Though.. it is pretty... of course pretty don't trump broke.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “General Discussion”