Question, cause it's been awhile.

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Question, cause it's been awhile.

Post by UntoldGlory »

Hey guys, I haven't been around the forum in more than a year (pretty much since the last time I played a wargame). I've been trying to look around and find the answer myself, but I'm overwhelmed by the volume of information since I was last here. Basically, I'm look to see if any way of doing a "double blind" play style has been implemented. Wherein two players would not be able to see each others tokens and whatnot. My specific usage would be to play Starfleet Battles, in which a Romulan player might be cloaked, and any given player may have dropped a mine out the back which would be invisible to their enemy.

Thanks in advance for the info!

aku
Dragon

Re: Question, cause it's been awhile.

Post by aku »

short answer is yes, see http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16376 for some details.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Also of note: In b77, there will be the option of Individual token FOW, so each token cannot see where other tokens have been(unless the GM does not use that option or explicitly merges FOW from two or more tokens.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

jfrazierjr wrote:Also of note: In b77, there will be the option of Individual token FOW, so each token cannot see where other tokens have been(unless the GM does not use that option or explicitly merges FOW from two or more tokens.
Ohhh... is that what that means. Nifty.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Excellent! Thank you. Looks like I decided to check again at basically the perfect time.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

psh u coulda checked 10 minutes after you posted. we like being speedy :D

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

There's a lot of good stuff planned for b77 that is making me drool. I forget, was the onInitChange going to be an official update? That would make my year.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I don't think there's anything "event-related" from Joe's private work that's going to be in b77.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

UntoldGlory wrote:Excellent! Thank you. Looks like I decided to check again at basically the perfect time.
Oh yeah, I know, I just ment *asking* the question at the right time, since what I want has apparently only been in the last couple of builds. I basically lived on these boards till I decided I didn't really like 4E anymore. We've been playing Rifts, with no map, or Star Wars, in person.

mage4fun
Kobold

Post by mage4fun »

Hello, this is my first time here and the first time I am going to try and use the maptool. My question is this. I have read some info on how to connect via the internet with others do that you can use map tool as your virtual tabletop, how can I do this if I want to connect two computers with a cross over cable? or if I want to do this on a LAN? In other words I will have a laptop (for the GM) and a desk top (for the players). I would like to have it so that I can have the desktop monitor act as my table top. I want to have their PCs visable on their(player) screen with my laptop showing me what else is out there that the PCs can't see.

I have yet to actually start up the program and see how well it works as I just recently downloaded it. My concern is if I will be able to do what I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yes, you can do that. As I posted in the other thread, you should watch the screencasts. They are broken into GM and Player so you only need to watch the ones that apply to you. They are very helpful!

Return to “General Discussion”