Write your Senator

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Write your Senator

Post by aliasmask »

Are you happy about the Republican Caucus demanding tax cuts for the top 2% above all other priorities? I'm not.

Are you happy about the Democrats in the Senate about to cave in their demainds? I'm not.

Personally, I just wrote my Senators telling them if they vote for extending tax cuts above 250K in any way they're not getting my vote. This is what I wrote in Facebook:
Write your Senator and tell them they do not get your vote if they vote for any extension of 250K+. Change your FB picture if you agree: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 1384785062 and pass it along.

All you need to write is: 250K+ = NO VOTE
You do not get my vote if you extend tax cuts above 250K in any way.

Facebook Link: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_i ... rs_cfm.cfm
Personally, I'm okay with all the tax cuts expiring, but there are some people who will have a much harder time without them which does not include those who make 250K and above.

My opinion is that their greed will hurt this country in the end and this economic down turn will get worse. Because as the people continue to lose jobs, not spend money, those who are millionaires but are not the super rich will begin to feel the pinch as their bottom line goes down due to the lack of currency circulation. This is what believe to be true and the economics support this.

What do you think?
Last edited by aliasmask on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: Republicans in Congress are terrorists

Post by dorpond »

Sorry bud, too extremist to belong here. I know a lot of hard working Democrats and Republicans, who are darn good people - none of which are terrorists.

Thread locked.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: Republicans in Congress

Post by dorpond »

Thread unlocked to be modified by original poster. Let's hope it is more, um, friendly :)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Write your Senator

Post by aliasmask »

I updated the original post to remove reference to Congress being Tangos because I couldn't think of a better word for being held economically hostage.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Incorrect wording in your link(inflammatory). The wording should be something more like: "Are you happy about the Republican Caucus demanding all tax cuts remain for all classes of people above over priorities"

At the end of the day, this is a fundamental discussion of: "Are you biased against those who make X or more money" or "Do you believe the economy is stimulated by consumers vs investors". I say no to the former and investors to the latter.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Incorrect wording in your link(inflammatory). The wording should be something more like: "Are you happy about the Republican Caucus demanding all tax cuts remain for all classes of people above over priorities"

At the end of the day, this is a fundamental discussion of: "Are you biased against those who make X or more money" or "Do you believe the economy is stimulated by consumers vs investors". I say no to the former and investors to the latter.
I'm not sure how top 2% is inflammatory, especially when true. A bill was already introduced that would continue those tax cuts for every bracket except the top 2% wage earners in the country.

The tax code is fairly complex where income at a1 is taxed b1, income from a1 to a2 is taxed b2, etc. The bill just stops the tax cut percentage decrease for income above 250K.

One big talking point by the Republicans in Congress is that it will hurt 50% of the small business owners. What they don't say is those "small business" owners use a tax hole to declare themselves a small business eventhough they make billions of dollars. Those small business owners who are multi-millionaire hedge fund lenders where they already pay less in taxes (percentage-wise) than their employees don't really contribute that much to job growth. Obama has also already passed 8 tax laws giving small businesses tax cuts.

I am a little biased at the inequity of income in this country. I think those who benefit the most from the system should contribute the most to the system. There is some false equity logic out there where $1000 has the same impact on everyone's life. It's the same amount of money, but as a percentage of the whole is very different to different income levels.

I'm all for a flat tax where the only consideration is cost of living. We have to have a minimum standard to be able to provide for basic needs, then everything else has the flat tax. Having a high cost of living based on lifestyle should not be considered. But that leaves very little control by the government with no more rewards, penalty system. Cutting taxes for desirable industries and business practices.

I'm all for having balance, but I think we're getting a little top heavy and we're about to fall over.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I've already sent messages to my representatives regarding both the tax legislation and their general conduct. There's a reason their approval rating is just barely into the double-digits. :|

I'm disappointed that the two parties can't cooperate and instead insist on digging in their heels. :(

Wasn't it Thomas Jefferson who said that the House is where the work is done and the Senate is where the work is undone?

What the Republican caucus is pushing is ideology -- their belief that trickle down economics works. The previous administration clearly showed that it doesn't. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." -- Albert Einstein

Or maybe they just need to watch more movies. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." ;)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

aliasmask wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:

I'm not sure how top 2% is inflammatory, especially when true.
Because it is fundamentally misleading. Only part of the information is presented as is usual when most let wing people discuss the "bush" tax cuts. When you or anyone else says: Bush cut taxes for the top 2% of the people in the US, this is a flawed and misleading statement regarding some people's favoritism toward those top 2% in deference to all others. When in fact, the tax cuts were across the board. It's the wording that is important as the fact is that everyone who pays income taxes benefited from the tax cuts in 2001 and 2001(I think those where the years).
One big talking point by the Republicans in Congress is that it will hurt 50% of the small business owners. What they don't say is those "small business" owners use a tax hole to declare themselves a small business eventhough they make billions of dollars. Those small business owners who are multi-millionaire hedge fund lenders where they already pay less in taxes (percentage-wise) than their employees don't really contribute that much to job growth. Obama has also already passed 8 tax laws giving small businesses tax cuts.
re: Tax loophole... see below. And yet, those multi millionaires still account for 80% of the tax income. Back in the day, there was such a thing as a poll tax. And, while I agree that this was wrong, it has swung 100% the other way in that people have the ability to vote who pay zero in income tax(not talking about SS and medicare) and even get money back on top of that(my money, your money, the millionaire's money!)
I am a little biased at the inequity of income in this country. I think those who benefit the most from the system should contribute the most to the system.
And yet, as above, many (I won't presume to speak for you) people pay zero taxes and yet get the same vote.... I am not even closed to convinced that that is fair either.
There is some false equity logic out there where $1000 has the same impact on everyone's life. It's the same amount of money, but as a percentage of the whole is very different to different income levels.
Perhaps, perhaps not. Do you think that people who make 250K are "rich" and able to buy whatever they want? Many of those in the 250K category are in just as much debt(or MORE!!!) as people making 25K vs a percentage of their income, so their spare income may not be any higher.
I'm all for a flat tax where the only consideration is cost of living. We have to have a minimum standard to be able to provide for basic needs, then everything else has the flat tax.
Yes to the first, not so much to the other. What is/are basic needs? Tobacco, alcohol, 2 TVs, $400 car payment living in a 40 year old run down house. I have had relatives (a long time ago) who game the system. Why is it that our impoverished people have a higher standard of living than the same class of people in almost any other nation? Just something to think about.

FYI, I do not make over 250K.. closer to 90K... however, I felt the exact same way when I made 4.25 an hour working 30 hours a week 20 years ago. Quite frankly, I worked my butt off to get where I am and would not have had the incentive without a free market. While I will agree that every person does not have the same opportunity, there are thousands of examples of people who rose up out of poverty to become wealthy, and in most cases it was due to good decision making(which I did not necessarily make!).
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:What the Republican caucus is pushing is ideology -- their belief that trickle down economics works. The previous administration clearly showed that it doesn't
I don't think that can be proven true or false. I happen to believe it does work. Unfortunately, there are FAR to many variables.

As for getting along, that won't happen on most things as the two are just to polar opposites. As an example, it's hard to support any bill that allows abortion when you believe with your entire being that the act is murder. Not really much room for compromise there. Of course, that is just one example, there are tons of examples on both left and right.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

jfrazierjr wrote:...it's hard to support any bill that allows abortion when you believe with your entire being that the act is murder. Not really much room for compromise there.
A "representative" should not allow their feelings to weigh in on the matter. They should be voting on what their constituents thought their stance was. So if they were not anti-abortion pre-vote, they should not be voting anti-abortion or any other issue. As for taxes, the government is not here to support the common man. They should only collect taxes for public works, defense and government employee pay(which in my opinion should be based on a national average cutting out the extremes) based on a tier(similar to how the military pay system is). After that, the government should not meddle in the affairs of the populace. The problem is the populace is fine with status quo and unless something directly effects them, they go out of their way to turn a blind eye.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

neofax wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:...it's hard to support any bill that allows abortion when you believe with your entire being that the act is murder. Not really much room for compromise there.
A "representative" should not allow their feelings to weigh in on the matter. They should be voting on what their constituents thought their stance was.
Bingo! You are exactly right. To many politicians on both sides from Fed down to local city government vote based on the dollar. This is why I believe with all my heart in term limits along with other election reforms(I will share if someone asks).
neofax wrote:As for taxes, the government is not here to support the common man. They should only collect taxes for public works, defense and government employee pay(which in my opinion should be based on a national average cutting out the extremes) based on a tier(similar to how the military pay system is). After that, the government should not meddle in the affairs of the populace. The problem is the populace is fine with status quo and unless something directly effects them, they go out of their way to turn a blind eye.
Ditto again. The Federal government is FAR larger than it was ever intended to be and should be, doing things it has no business doing.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Azhrei wrote:What the Republican caucus is pushing is ideology -- their belief that trickle down economics works. The previous administration clearly showed that it doesn't
I don't think that can be proven true or false. I happen to believe it does work. Unfortunately, there are FAR to many variables.
Yep, I can agree with that.

I should have said, "The implementation used in the previous administration failed." That would've taken into account that perhaps the theory could somehow be made to work given the imperfect nature of governance.

Personally I don't see how it can ever succeed. The theory, as I understand it, is that the super wealthy have a pile of money that they want to make larger. So they give some of that pile to someone else and expect their principal back plus interest. But if I'm a super wealthy person, why would I want my pile of money to be bigger? I don't need more money, do I? I suppose one argument would be that in order to become wealthy one must have a personality that is always struggling to accomplish something, and thus one would never just sit back and relax, content with the size of their pile.

In that model, the super wealthy are comfortable and the others are... well, "not so comfortable". A comparison could be made to feudal Europe where the nobility lived richly while the peasants sweated and cried and bled for their lords. This is fine if you're one of the nobles, but not so good if you're a peasant.

In a "trickle up" economy, the masses would be given more money. Many of them would spend every dime they get, which is probably much more in the aggregate than the super rich would ever spend. For example, say there are 43 million people living at the poverty level in the U.S. (based on 2009 ACS data). If we give each person $1600, they will probably not add it to their (non-existent) pile of money, they will spend it! That $1600 represent $69 billion dollars added to the economy!

The tax breaks that the Republican caucus wants to extend for those making over $250k would cost this country $700 billion over the next ten years, or $70 billion per year. That's more than the money we just gave to every poor person in the country! Yet which is better for the society as a whole? The one that gives money to very few and hopes that they spend it, or the one that gives money to people that need it and are virtually assured of spending it?

Because remember that the goal is to get the money circulating into the economy.

(The idea that the super rich will put the money into stocks where it will help the poor, or into a bank where it can be loaned out to the poor is ridiculous. First, stocks are not a vehicle for the poor to make money. Second, the banks will never lend money to the poor since the super rich would sue them as a breach of their fiduciary responsibility... to the super rich, not to the poor. Besides, banks don't need money. The government already allows them to make loans for amounts totaling up to 10x their transaction deposits. See Reserve Requirements and pay special note to how some funds are excluded from the liquidity ratio, such that the actual cash on hand for a bank can be a very, very small portion of the total deposits.)

In summary, giving cash to the poor helps the economy significantly more than giving it to the rich. But the poor can't use tax breaks anyway -- they don't have any money! So the government has tax credits instead, which try to accomplish the same thing.

Given how massive the poor demographic is in this country, how can anyone defend giving cash to the super rich instead of to the poor? I'm not a bible-thumping man by a long shot, but this reminds of the "camel through the eye of a needle" problem...
As for getting along, that won't happen on most things as the two are just to polar opposites. As an example, it's hard to support any bill that allows abortion when you believe with your entire being that the act is murder. Not really much room for compromise there.
Yep. It's a shame that people are so tied to their opinions. I have strong opinions on many things as well, but I also understand what "pragmatic" means.

As a libertarian (my views lean primarily in that direction) I find it abhorrent that the government would choose to tell me what I can or can't do if it doesn't affect them. Examples include euthanasia, growing pot for my own use (I don't), spanking my kids (I don't have any kids), or any of a variety of laws based on the morals of people I don't agree with.

I would prefer that they pass laws based on practical necessity and not their belief system -- I don't care what political party they claim to be a member of. As I mentioned above, the nature of governance is imperfect because imperfect men make up its nature. :|

One example of "practical necessity" would be speed limits (faster speeds cause more mayhem, so theoretically slower speeds save lives). There's no church/god/omnipotent being/flying-spaghetti-monster/what-have-you involved. As soon as you start bringing spiritual faith into law making you are doomed to create strife.

Abortion is tricky. I can see both sides of the argument. Personally, I feel the decision is not mine to make, neither for you and your family nor anyone else's. By extension, neither is it the government's decision to make.

Supposedly it is government's role to protect society. That's the argument for having the State approve a marriage -- it promotes the family unit which is necessary for the continued survival of the society. But when government ostracizes those who don't believe the same way, it breaks the harmony of the group. Essentially, the government is saying, "You are not one of us because you don't act as we do." Society's method of protecting itself is to eject, or perhaps "exclude" is a better word, those who don't conform.

That works fine for a small group, but in a larger group it breaks down and can no longer work without artificial support. Which conveniently enough comes from the same government in the form of a police force. The more people that are "excluded", the larger the police force must be.

Whew. :mrgreen:

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote: (The idea that the super rich will put the money into stocks where it will help the poor, or into a bank where it can be loaned out to the poor is ridiculous. First, stocks are not a vehicle for the poor to make money. Second, the banks will never lend money to the poor since the super rich would sue them as a breach of their fiduciary responsibility... to the super rich, not to the poor. Besides, banks don't need money. The government already allows them to make loans for amounts totaling up to 10x their transaction deposits. See Reserve Requirements and pay special note to how some funds are excluded from the liquidity ratio, such that the actual cash on hand for a bank can be a very, very small portion of the total deposits.)
For the most part, you are correct. Investors do not directly help the "poor". But their influx of cash DOES create jobs for middle class people. Someone somewhere has to invest money for a google, apple, microsoft, or whatever the next big start up company is and/or continue investing in the existing companies that are the backbone of American industry. The poor are affected positively due to jobs supporting those middle class people such as cleaning,building homes, etc. Not to mention charitable giving. The end result is that poor people don't hire people. It takes someone with some access to money and a good idea(and some bit of luck). Many people who start businesses do not have enough cash lying on hand to make it the first few years, therefore they get investment money from somewhere.

Azhrei wrote:In summary, giving cash to the poor helps the economy significantly more than giving it to the rich. But the poor can't use tax breaks anyway -- they don't have any money! So the government has tax credits instead, which try to accomplish the same thing.

Given how massive the poor demographic is in this country, how can anyone defend giving cash to the super rich instead of to the poor?
You see.. thats the fundamental world view difference between liberals and conservatives. I see it as allowing people to keep more of what THEY EARN. Granted, there are plenty of spoiled trust fund babies, but there are also a much larger number of self made millionaires who put in the time and work to get where they are. Likewise, there are plenty of poor people who got where they are due to their own poor choices in life(I have an exception for those who are physically or mentally unable to take care of themselves.)

There is a story which I can't remember the exact details of off the top of my head but it goes something like this: You own a farm, go out every day and till the soil in the sun, rain, etc. Then a group of gypsies come along to your town and the sherrif demands you give 10% of the crop to the gypsies who have done nothing to earn the harvest.

Azhrei wrote:I'm not a bible-thumping man by a long shot, but this reminds of the "camel through the eye of a needle" problem...
2 Thessalonians 3:10 - For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Luke 12:48- From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

2 Corinthians 9:7 - Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
The problem is not the giving it is the FORCED requirement of taking from one group to give to another. I love organizations such as Habitat for Humanity. They have the right way of approaching building life skills while helping those that truly need it. Those who wish to have a home from them must donate time to build homes for others FIRST.

Azhrei wrote:I find it abhorrent that the government would choose to tell me what I can or can't do if it doesn't affect them. Examples include euthanasia, growing pot for my own use (I don't), spanking my kids (I don't have any kids), or any of a variety of laws based on the morals of people I don't agree with.
eauthanisia: agreed
pot: agreed(no, I don't do drugs but we WASTE a tremendous amount of money on the war on drugs)
spanking: agreed

I see very few Democratic party members who rally around legalizing drugs, prostitution, euthanasia, and I am sure several other things which I would expect would be co-equal with a woman's "right to choose". To me, it is hypocritical to support one and not the others(not that there are not any, just that it is not something most will openly admit to.)
Azhrei wrote: Abortion is tricky. I can see both sides of the argument. Personally, I feel the decision is not mine to make, neither for you and your family nor anyone else's. By extension, neither is it the government's decision to make.
see above. I just happen the interpret this as murder. No different than killing someone 1 day old or 100 years old.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

If you penalize people for making more money you are reducing the impetus to work harder.

If you pay people to be poor you will never run out of poor people.
I cast firecube! ~4E

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Jector wrote:If you penalize people for making more money you are reducing the impetus to work harder.

If you pay people to be poor you will never run out of poor people.
+1

Return to “General Discussion”