Official D&D projector table Project

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Notsonoble
Dragon

Re: Official D&D projector table Project

Post by Notsonoble »

Azhrei wrote:
Notsonoble wrote:MPX comes in Xorg now, but I'm not sure how to activate extra devices... :(

Interesting, I didn't know that. Probably just another entry in the xorg.conf file, and if both mice were active when the system was installed the install routine would probably find them and configure them automatically.

If that were true, every laptop that had a usb mouse plugged in would come up with two pointers after install. So no automatic entries, but but yes an entry in the xorg.conf would be needed. The question is what extra funky syntax would you need?
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Notsonoble wrote:
Azhrei wrote:Interesting, I didn't know that. Probably just another entry in the xorg.conf file, and if both mice were active when the system was installed the install routine would probably find them and configure them automatically.

If that were true, every laptop that had a usb mouse plugged in would come up with two pointers after install. So no automatic entries, but but yes an entry in the xorg.conf would be needed. The question is what extra funky syntax would you need?

Ahh, except a touchpad is not a mouse, is it? ;) The Xorg server detects hardware during installation and the first touchpad device is replaced by the first non-touchpad mouse (typically USB). But a computer with two mice plugged in to USB ports would probably include two entries in the xorg.conf. I can't try that at the moment though. :|

In any case, adding a new mouse device to the xorg.conf isn't difficult usually, but I don't know what the required information would be for a second mouse. I would expect that some kind of device identifier would be needed to distinguish between mouse1 and mouse2 (maybe the USB device id?) and I don't know if the normal Identifier option is sufficient for that...

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

In linux land, UDEV handles the hardware plugging/hotplugging for Xorg. If UDEV doesn't handle it properly or you need special driver options, Xorg has a new style of dynamically handling sections of the old Xorg.conf. They are under the Xorg folder and are like 10-mouse.conf, 20-nvidia.conf... These are then read into Xorg upon start. I have not tried two usb mice, but I have done a trackpad, usb mouse and bluetooth mouse but it did not create a second mouse. The bluetooth mouse gained ownership of the mouse on the screen. Even using multiple WIImotes only one gains ownership as far as I know. There are some newer versions of Xorg in Arch and Gentoo that allows the trackpad to be multitouch.

Here is a google manual on how to accomplish two mice : http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/X11_Mouse
Time-Zone information UTC -5

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

It looks like that page discusses multiple mice but still only a single pointer. And it's pretty old.

This page talks about using the new MPX driver (multipointer X) support so that two separate pointers+cursors appear, one for each mouse.

The article says that GTK+ doesn't support multiple mice so you can't be drawing into a image using GIMP with two mice at the same time, for example. However, Qt 4.6 appears to have support and is the basis for KDE, so once again it's KDE FTW! ;)

A user comment says Compiz and Enlightenment both support multipoint.

Interesting stuff...

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

For Windows 7, there is a commercial product, TeamPlayer. Their 2 user version is $4.10 which is inexpensive. If you want more than that the price jumps WAY up. I picked up a Logitech m505 mouse at Costco for $20 and it comes with the Unifying receiver. So then I hooked up my m305 & m505 to my tablet and viola, two separate mouse pointers (you have to left click to take control so don't leave your pointer over top of something that will activate with a single click).

groveborn
Kobold

Post by groveborn »

You can also use a virtual machine, but that wouldn't solve the the slow down issues any. If you machine is fast enough, just go this rout. Yu tell the VM to trap one usb mouse, and the other one is used by the host system. Simply put the VM on the projected area of the desktop, full screen, and you should have two copies of maptools running in that system. This way the DM (you?) can manipulate the map without the players knowing what you're doing, and allow the players to fiddle with their tokens. You MAY be able to play with the wiimote setup in that, but I wouldn't count on it. If you have no experience with VM, I'd suggest using Virtualbox. It's free, available on all platforms, and runs just about anything. It's also very easy to use.

I couldn't find my earlier post, so I guess it didn't happen. Edit: No, you didn't read the Welcome email that said two posts have to be approved by a moderator! - Azhrei I was planning on a similar project, but cheaper! I was just going to use a pico projector under a pane of glass or plexi, likely with parchment paper to catch the image. I was also going to use a Kinect, rather than a wiimote, as they're a bit more functional (no light pens required). I had some trouble setting up my wiimote project a few years back as well. Perhaps you need something that transmits the IR better, other than plastic sheeting. White silk or a VERY thin coat of some sort of paint that is only partially opaque. Perhaps a light sandblasting? That might work.

There are other ways of utilizing the wiimote setup. The best way is probably to build an IR led strip on the edge of the glass. As you touch the "screen", it directs the light towards your "camera". You'd need plexiglass with very smooth edges. You can attach parchment paper with some silicone painted on the surface. There are videos and guides depicting it. Your wiimote would probably benefit from it.

direwolf
Kobold

Post by direwolf »

This is a great set up!

Have you made a video for this yet? I would love to see a tutorial in action! I live in Central CA and if anyone with the know how would like to make a how to for this hit me up. I will but the materials and supply the wine!

james

Return to “General Discussion”