Some mapping tips and tricks

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

torstan
Great Wyrm

Some mapping tips and tricks

Post by torstan »

I've been putting together a few mapping tips and tricks and posting them on G+ and facebook at lunchtime 2-3 times a week. If you're interested, you can find them here:
tips on facebook
tips on Google+
collated tips on the blog (every Saturday more or less)

Today's tip is how to do old school blue maps in photoshop, and then how you set up old school blue fog of war in maptool for that true old school feel :) I hope the tips come in handy to people, and let me know if there's something you'd like to see covered.

JML
Dragon

Re: Some mapping tips and tricks

Post by JML »

Thanks a lot ! Great as usual and really useful. I hope to see more :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Great material here! Thanks Torstan!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Thanks guys! And a new collated post is up today, including some maptool goodness at the end.

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

JML wrote:I hope to see more :)
Asked… given ! And I thought I'd have to wait a full year for Santa :D

Esheon
Giant

Post by Esheon »

torstan wrote:I aim to please :)
And you're doing very well at that :)

My friends have been quite impressed with the upgrade from my old, crude MSPaint maps to my new GIMP creations.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Heh, now they're spoiled. Just wait until you have to cobble something together at the last minute... :)

Esheon
Giant

Post by Esheon »

Azhrei wrote:Heh, now they're spoiled. Just wait until you have to cobble something together at the last minute... :)
Hehe, I plan for that, too.

I've got a folder full of premade jpg maps sitting in my maptool library (deviantart, rpgmapshare, etc). All I have to do is right-click, new map, and then copy/paste some NPC tokens from my bullpen map ;)

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Yep, having a store of preformated maps is great. I actually have 4-5 maptool files of generic locations with VBL in there too, so that I can throw together a wilderness encounter at the last minute. It really helps players feel that they can go anywhere.

In other news, a post up on the blog about rescaling maps for maptool use: http://fantasticmaps.wordpress.com/2012 ... g-them-up/

And a post up on G+ and facebook on removing labels from published maps, that might be particularly handy for maptool users.

Return to “General Discussion”