Mote Kickstarter: We are going LIVE!

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Mote Kickstarter: We are going LIVE!

Post by Jagged »

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

The question I really want to know is, is mote going to be able to circumvent the three nests of {} problem?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Currently not. Although I solved that issue 2 years ago and am using 2+nested {} ever since. Fortunely this still holds under mote.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

wolph42 wrote:Currently not. Although I solved that issue 2 years ago and am using 2+nested {} ever since. Fortunely this still holds under mote.
If by solved you mean just calling another macro, then I know what you're on about, but it's not what I want. I want to be able to read my macro absolutely, not in fragments.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Bone White wrote:
wolph42 wrote:Currently not. Although I solved that issue 2 years ago and am using 2+nested {} ever since. Fortunely this still holds under mote.
If by solved you mean just calling another macro, then I know what you're on about, but it's not what I want. I want to be able to read my macro absolutely, not in fragments.
No by solved I mean using endless nesting in one macro. See the link in my sig.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

That is so glorious, I wish I knew that when you found it.

You are my favourite person in the whole of today. :o

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Bone White wrote:That is so glorious, I wish I knew that when you found it.

You are my favourite person in the whole of today. :o
:mrgreen:

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Well, I've finally gotten around to playing with the beta build, and so far so good, however I wonder if there's a way of increasing the text size in the macro editor, or turning off the auto syntax completion?

Tanthos
Giant

Post by Tanthos »

By Ogden's Hammer, this is going to be amazing!

I will gladly donate to this. There is no way I am letting you guys do all this awesome work for free! :D

Pobman
Kobold

Post by Pobman »

I was unaware of the Kickstarter and so didn't get to back it (I stopped visiting any of the sub forums here apart from the Announcement forum and even then that was rarely). Does anyone have any idea when a public beta will be happening?

Thanks in advance.

venger
Giant

Post by venger »

Hello
I've been a MT user for years, and even kicked in $50 a few years ago.

I, like Pobman was unaware of the Kickstarter project for this Mote variation of Maptool.

So, I have been running 1.3.80b because of troubs I had... ie. java incompatibility, maps lost, tricky vision issues etc. and I safe-zoned myself to that ver. because for me anyway, it's been most reliable.

Sooooo... I am interested in knowing more, how can I kick in a few $$$ now that the funding has ended, and would like to have a copy to experiment with. But I have a couple questions

Does Mote support maps made with MT as far back as 1.3.80b? (not a deal breaker)

Does Mote run on Java 6? I'm not comfortable with messing with that because my install on my gaming laptop is solid now and I can't afford to break it, though I could mess with Mote on another computer.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

venger wrote:I, like Pobman was unaware of the Kickstarter project for this Mote variation of Maptool.
A consequence of the current MT gate keepers not really helping to get the word out through a banner on the forum, announcement post, or an email to MT users. That said, I can understand that they might want to see Mote "prove" itself first before backing it... and given the delays with Mote, and some questions of being able to deliver on full backwards compatibility, some caution may have been warranted (though, to be fair, the "success" level of the Mote kickstarter may be contributing to those short-comings.)
Sooooo... I am interested in knowing more, how can I kick in a few $$$ now that the funding has ended, and would like to have a copy to experiment with.
You can try contacting them through the Idle Ideas google site: https://plus.google.com/u/0/108219957752100533378/posts
But I have a couple questions

Does Mote support maps made with MT as far back as 1.3.80b? (not a deal breaker)
If you can open your b80 campaign file in b89 (and save there), then that's going to be your best chance to move smoothly to mote. There looks to be some unicode issues in Mote's updated implementation, so if you employ a lot of that in your framework, then you'll need to do some rewrites... but they are trying to make it as backward compatible as possible.

We'll just have to see.
Does Mote run on Java 6? I'm not comfortable with messing with that because my install on my gaming laptop is solid now and I can't afford to break it, though I could mess with Mote on another computer.
As far as I know, you will need Java 7.

Starting with b89 and forward, you should have no trouble getting MT to run with the right BAT file or using one of the new launchers.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

As far as I know, you will need Java 7.
That is for certain. They also still take funding, they mention it somewhere and that wiill give access to the beta.
The beta, currently, is REALLY beta. It works and has AWESOME features, but is buggy as hell. But hey, its a closed beta release.
As an alternative, you could give version 90 (link in sig.) a shot. Its the most stable version since a loong time. But it too requires J7. Note that you can have both J6 and J7 running on the same computer. Especially with the new launcher you can pick which java version you wish to use.

venger
Giant

Post by venger »

I do not currently use any framework code since we are playing f2f with output going to a large TV and still use pen n paper

We are playing The One Ring by Cubicle 7, and I am not up to coding a framework for it.

I use MT to display maps and imagery, and lbl for dungeon crawls, which the guys and I love. I paint my own maps in Photoshop, so I really use only a portion of what MT can do.

I am curious and interested to see ver 90, and Mote too, thanks for the replies!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Has anyone heard anything from the MOTE team as of late? There hasn't been any recent updates and no word from the team on their public forum for 45 days.

Return to “General Discussion”