New user: Mote or MapTool?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

ahimsa
Kobold

New user: Mote or MapTool?

Post by ahimsa »

I'm relatively new to MapTool and have been using Lindsey's Pathfinder FW, which is really great. It's inspired me to take a shot at building my own framework.

So, my question is whether I should switch to Mote, as it seems to be the "future" of MapTool (from what I can tell) or to cut my teeth on MapTool. I've loaded Mote with the latest PF FW (91.06) and it seems to be running really nicely so far. I also like the interface and the apparent speed.

I'm also really intrigued by the DB integration, though I can't find much info on how to get this working or various use cases. I can see importing the entire PF bestiary off of google drive and pulling statblocks directly from the DB or importing HeroLabs xml right into the DB (room descriptions, trap stats, random encounter tables, etc.)

Anyway, what are the thoughts from the community on where a new user interested in building frameworks should start? (I'm sure "it depends on..." but I'd love to hear "...on what".

Cheers.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: New user: Mote or MapTool?

Post by aliasmask »

MOTE is still growing and any support will have to come from the devs as opposed to MT where most of the support comes from the community. There are pluses and minuses for either choice.

1.4.0 for MapTool is very close and there will be a fork in features for both MOTE and MT. But for now, most of what you do in MT will translate to MOTE but not visa versa. DB integration has been discussed, but afaik will not come out with 1.4.0. So, if that's what you want to do then maybe you want to be a pioneer for MOTE and develop there. Most of the db documentation is done through their macro IDE. All the functions start with sql. so typing that in will give you an idea of which functions they have and what they do.

ahimsa
Kobold

Post by ahimsa »

Thanks aliasmask. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what is in 1.4.0. The MapTool community seems to be really helpful and innovative. I'll probably try to build my macros in MapTool and, as you say, transfer them across to Mote if/when the time is right.

That being said, I am going to play around with the database in MOTE as it seems to hold a lot of potential, at least to the untrained eye...

Thanks again.

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

I've been using maptools since 1.1 and it has really come a long way. (hopefully my 1.3 stuff will transfer to 1.4).

I have looked at mote and it's still not where maptools is now, IMO. (maybe it's just the learning curve... *mumbles about old dogs and new tricks*)

Honestly I feel like the devs have taken maptools and plan on putting it up for sale. I am not oposed to selling a great product and maptools has always been a labor of love (and hey devs, I love you and the work you do for us! You can't be told that enough! *cleans off nose*)

Bottom line, stick with maptools. I think you will be happier in the long run.

As for making frameworks... it's a lot of work! I am building my own and it requires constant tweeks and twerks and kicks and pounding.... you get the idea :mrgreen:

Whatever your choice, good luck and I hope to see you around the forums!

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Currently, Mote is lots faster in processing script, has a very nice built in editor, supports sound, is a single file download that contains its own Java (so no hassles with Java), has SQL support, allows for multiple saved window layouts, supports IRC.

MapTool is going through a revitalization and has just released 1.4.0.0. It has a way cool Isometric grid option.

So both are good tools.

Return to “General Discussion”