I messed up.

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Elyre_Elan
Kobold

I messed up.

Post by Elyre_Elan »

So I was hosting our weekly Pathfinder campaign on Maptools using Discord for voice chat. After a couple of hours, during a fairly complex battle sequence, I was attempting to use an arrow to reflect possibilities of where one of the players could cast their web spell, when, suddenly the map disappeared and I was back to the default grasslands map. My players' maps all went black. Somehow, in trying to use the pointer, use the "Alt" key for push to talk on discord, and some other inadvertent key punching, I exited out of the campaign... I think. It was strange because the players were still connected, and the chat had all of our discussions and combat results, but the maps were gone.

I don't know what key combinations I hit. But I guess I need to save early and often, because when I reloaded the campaign, I was back to where we were at the start of the evening. It's like someone took a chessboard in mid-game and wiped all of the pieces off the board. I know which pieces have been "killed" and "wounded" (due to taking a copy of the chat window) but I have to rely on memory as to where each of the "living" pieces may be on the map. Very frustrating, and totally my fault. I wish I knew what I did though...

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: I messed up.

Post by taustinoc »

Yeah, it's a known thing, built in as default actions from Java.

<Al> followed by the spacebar (or <Enter>, but you almost certainly hit the spacebar to get the arrow on screen to point) hit three times.

<Alt> activates the menu bar at the top, defaulting to the File menu. After that, spacebar opens the menu, with New Campaign at the top. Spacebar again selects the highlighted entry (New Campaign) and opens the confirmation window ("Discard current campaign"), with "Yes" as the default. Spacebar again selects the highlighted answer (Yes).

The devs have discussed ways to change the defaults in a future release, because it's happened to a *lot* of people (including me). NO idea right offhand if the beta version is different, but the NERPS version defaults to "No" on the confirmation (just tested it).

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I think 1.4.1.8 also fixed the issue. Pressing <Alt> Highlights the File menu, <space> New Campaign, <space> Confirms. It happens in the blink of an eye if you fat-fingered the Alt key when trying to hit the space bar.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Elyre_Elan wrote:Very frustrating, and totally my fault. I wish I knew what I did though...
Not really your fault. It's an interface issue (described above) which, when coupled with the fact that MT's backup is broken, can be pretty devastating to a game.

That said, as you noted, using the chat (which doesn't clear) can help with attempting to piece together some recovery. Just be sure to File>Save Chat Log so you can refer to it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

aliasmask wrote:I think 1.4.1.8 also fixed the issue.
That does not appear to be the case. Only the NERPS version seems to have change the default on the confirmation.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

The current trunk build definitely has the space-bar/default for "Discard current campaign?" set to "No"

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Jagged wrote:The current trunk build definitely has the space-bar/default for "Discard current campaign?" set to "No"
Yeah, I recall the fix being implemented. I guess we'll have to wait for the next build to see it.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Yea, Azhrei fixed that but I believe it was post 1.4.1.8 so it'll be in 1.4.1.9. I've also migrated it to my 1.4.4.0 fork. :)
-Jamz

Elyre_Elan
Kobold

Post by Elyre_Elan »

Thank-you for the tips. I think I might just change my push to talk key from "Alt" to something else... Like I said, my bad. I've been around the block long enough to know I should save constantly to avoid these types of issues.

Good to know about the defaults. I currently run 1.4.0.5, and I would love to run Nerps, but I am timid about potentially losing the work that I have done... :oops:

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Elyre_Elan wrote: Good to know about the defaults. I currently run 1.4.0.5, and I would love to run Nerps, but I am timid about potentially losing the work that I have done... :oops:
Keep copies of things so you can test it, and do any future development on 1.4.0.5 until you're confident.

Return to “General Discussion”