Players coming inn on wrong map

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

DoblyTufnell
Kobold

Players coming inn on wrong map

Post by DoblyTufnell »

I am running a game for some buddies over the internet and when the join, they come in on a different map to the one I have loaded... ANNOYING.

Tonight all the players came in on map that is 3 game sessions away from were we are now..

How can I set the map the players see when they join!!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Players coming inn on wrong map

Post by Full Bleed »

DoblyTufnell wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:29 am
I am running a game for some buddies over the internet and when the join, they come in on a different map to the one I have loaded... ANNOYING.

Tonight all the players came in on map that is 3 game sessions away from were we are now..

How can I set the map the players see when they join!!
They should not be dumped on a map that isn't visible to them. But, FYI, if they somehow are they would see nothing if the map has Fog of War enabled. I also default maps to Map>Vision>Night so if they do end up on a map they shouldn't be on that they can't see anything without a token with vision enabled also being on the map.

But, yes, the map they are dumped on can be somewhat "random"... and that is annoying.

You can use setCurrentMap in onCampaignLoad to have them sent to a specific map.

So you'd be adding code that looked like this:

Code: Select all

[h: setCurrentMap("Starting Map Name")]
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Yes, annoying.

As a general practice I always turn map visibility off wherever I can. So I generally run with just two maps visible to players, campaign map and current "battle" map.
I have never experienced anyone loading into a map they can't see.

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

I remember having this issue as well. MT is a great tool but the first impression is rather poor (millennium falcon style).

Return to “General Discussion”