Newbie learning the ropes

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Phergus
Deity

Re: Newbie learning the ropes

Post by Phergus »

Mike - The easiest way to check if your port-forwarding is work is to use the web site http://www.canyouseeme.org.

First start MapTool and from the File menu select Start Server. For the purposes of this test you can use the default settings. Do not enable UPnP as you have configured your port-forwarding manually.

Right in the middle of the CanYouSeeMe page is a blue box with Port to Check. It defaults to 80 so change that to 51234. Then click on Check Port. The result shows up in the blue area and will have Success if it worked.

If that works, then a player client should also be able to connect.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

If UPnP works, that hard part if done. The easy way to have a remote player connect is to put in a name under RPTools.net alias when you start the server, and have them find that on the Server Name list when they go to connect.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Except that you can't use UPnP if you have already put in a port forwarding rule which is what he said.

mike0liver
Kobold

Post by mike0liver »

Success!!! I did as you directed and got an immediate positive response. I looks like I've done it. When my grandson returns home, I'll get him to join the game and see if my success is replicated. I tried the use of an alias and logged in as a player. This seemed to work but I think I shall need to see my grandson do the business from his computer before I'm totally happy.

I really appreciate the help I've had from you guys - thanks a lot.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

That's great!

Be sure to come back with any questions once you start using it for gaming.

faruk@123
Kobold

Post by faruk@123 »

Unfortunately, this is by all accounts getting increasingly more intricate the further we get into it. I had no clue about that incidentally way when I left on the venture. I'm truly considering either discovering some other method of doing it or shedding guides and charts over the web and simply cooperating with my grandson by means of Skype. Showing him maps and such was just to make it additionally intriguing yet, in the event that I need to begin specialized discussions with British Telecom to do it, I think I'll pass - he may conclude that AD&D isn't for him!

Return to “General Discussion”