Python based Token Generator and Vision Blocking Tools

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: Azhrei, dorpond, trevor

JimJamboJangles
Kobold

Python based Token Generator and Vision Blocking Tools

Post by JimJamboJangles »

Hello there! Recently I created a couple tools for my group, and I thought I may as well share them with the world so that other people can make use of these tools as well! Be warned, you need to have python installed to use either tool, and be familiar with editing python code to really get the most use out of the auto vision blocker. I'm not sure how to host images here, so you'll have to forgive me if this post is picture-less.

These scripts create .rptok and .rpmap files for MapTool.

Tool #1:
Auto Token Generator:
This came about as a result of me playing as an Alchemist in Pathfinder, and trying out the preservationist archetype. Meaning, I had to manage my own set of summons of all kinds. After I spent a few hours hand making tokens, I figured there was probably a better way to go about it. So, bring in my token maker. Here is the github link:https://github.com/JamesDeVore/tokenization.
This took will pull any monster currently in the pathfinder 1 database (thanks to an API and monster SQL database i'm hosting personally, so keep it under 1M requests / month, thanks :)
***As of 11/16/19 the database is fully functional. token maker should auto populate your token and properties!

), so it's great for generating token for your PCs to beat up, or summons as well. Or you can add in some standard properties if you want to make something a bit more custom.
To use: Simply run main.py, and fill out the associated fields. The readme also provides some info on how to use it effectively.

Tool #2:
Auto Vision Blocker
If you are anything like my groups GM, you LOVE maptool's vision blocking, but hate drawing in all the shapes to actually make use of it. Well, thats where this script comes into play. Plug in a map, and it will output a .rpmap file with a (I think) pretty good job of filling in the dark bits with vision blocking elements. Now, it isn't 100% perfect, and feel free to tweak some of the numbers (where python editing skills come into play) to get it to work for you. But all in all, I think it does a decent job. Here is the github link for that tool:https://github.com/JamesDeVore/AutoVisionBlocker/

Feel free to use to your heart's content. Hoping it helps you spend less time prepping and more time playing :)

Also let me know if they are broken, They should be fine but if not I'll do my best to get them working again
Last edited by JimJamboJangles on Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phergus
Deity

Re: Python based Token Generator and Vision Blocking Tools

Post by Phergus »

Thanks for sharing your work Jim!

JimJamboJangles
Kobold

Re: Python based Token Generator and Vision Blocking Tools

Post by JimJamboJangles »

Phergus wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:17 pm
Thanks for sharing your work Jim!
No Problem! Hope they help some people. :)

Return to “General Discussion”