How to remove fog of war exposed by a token

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: Azhrei, dorpond, trevor

rockwallguy
Kobold

How to remove fog of war exposed by a token

Post by rockwallguy »

So I'm using this to expose of of war on a television for a large map for a group in the room with me. I'm moving a token around to expose the map as we go. When I made the VBL, I had two small gaps in the lines, and now there is this large cone of exposed fog of war that includes part of the background. It looks awful when I zoom out. How do I remove that? I know how to remove fog of war that was exposed using the fog of war tools, but holding shift and boxing over it doesn't seem to work for the FOW exposed with the token. Is there a way to correct this or do I have to reset the FOW for the entire map?

aliasmask
Deity

Re: How to remove fog of war exposed by a token

Post by aliasmask »

resetting the FoW. Fix VBL, then select a PC token and hit ctrl-shift-o. It will clear all the exposed areas except for the immediate area.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

rockwallguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:18 pm
I know how to remove fog of war that was exposed using the fog of war tools, but holding shift and boxing over it doesn't seem to work for the FOW exposed with the token. Is there a way to correct this or do I have to reset the FOW for the entire map?
I'm not sure if I'm following everything you're saying, but it sounds like you might be running into some issues with using Individual FoW.

Given how you say you're using MT (moving a single token around to expose FoW) I suggest that you turn off Individual FoW when starting your server.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Rahood
Kobold

Post by Rahood »

What does turning off individual fog of war do exactly? Does this not limit the options?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Rahood wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:19 am
What does turning off individual fog of war do exactly? Does this not limit the options?
Not sure what "options" you think it's limiting. You'll have to be more specific about what you mean by that.

Individual FoW creates (and updates) an individual FoW mask for each token. Turning it off defaults to players using a single shared FoW. I won't get too much into why I think IFoW is usually a bad idea (in particular how it's managed in MT, the performance impact, and the confusion it causes)... I find that using Individual Views and shared FoW is quite sufficient for my games. And, in particular to the OP's use case where they are moving a single token around to expose a single FoW mask on their maps I see no benefit to using Individual FoW (and how it works may be causing them issues with how they are manually exposing the FoW.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “General Discussion”