Cannot Fully uninstall

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

The_Mistocles
Kobold

Cannot Fully uninstall

Post by The_Mistocles »

I had two versions of maptool, an old 1.3 and a 1.5 installed on windows 10 machine.

The application was not always seeing updates to the Resource > Tokens folder in 1.5. I would add a token, close the program, even restart the rig and not always see the updates when re-opening the app. The folder retained the change but the app didn't see it.

Today I tried to consolidate by getting rid of everything so I could start fresh. I have spent hours trying to get all of Maptool off my computer so I could reinstall and have 1 version with 1 folder. I even deleted the registry key which windows 10 uninstall was not getting rid off - that seemed to have some effect not but the desired one. I disabled cloud updates and deleted all related back ups. There is nothing windows-search finds that is related to maptool anymore after uninstalling.

When I reinstall, the maptool resource folder somehow has all my old custom made maps and tokens BUT(!!!) if I update those folders (new tokens, delete tokens, etc) those changes are not reflected in the app even after closing out restarting windows etc.

I don't understand how it's hanging onto all these custom tokens and maps I made despite being uninstalled - the png's are not on my rig after untinstall and then they come back when reinstalling - and there are a LOT of them. Still, changes to the tokens in the normal / default folder path is not reflected in the application.

Deleting the reg key only affected the Resource > Markers folder but not maps or tokens. I have really enjoyed your software thus far but it seems I can't physically use it anymore if I can't add in new maps and tokens. Please let me know what other information I can provide to help trouble shoot this.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Cannot Fully uninstall

Post by aliasmask »

Are you referring to the Resource Library where you can add folders and where it contains the Default folder with Markers and other folders? I think if you delete the .maptool and the .maptool-rptools folders under your user folder, then it clears out most config data. There is some in the registry but mostly about window positions and stuff for global macros. You can find more MapTool data in the hidden AppData under Local/MapTool and also for older installs under roaming for the wrapper.. ie C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\JWrapper-MapTool. If you delete all those folders and this regkey folder Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\/Map/Tool that should wipe everything from your computer. Before that, I would make sure to uninstall the normal way under the config panel apps and then get rid of those folders.

Phergus
Deity

Re: Cannot Fully uninstall

Post by Phergus »

The_Mistocles wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:13 pm
The application was not always seeing updates to the Resource > Tokens folder in 1.5. I would add a token, close the program, even restart the rig and not always see the updates when re-opening the app. The folder retained the change but the app didn't see it.
Going to have to assume that by Resource > Tokens you mean in the Resource Library under Default -> Tokens.

A couple things to understand. First MapTool 1.3 and MapTool 1.5 keep the default resources in two different places.

Code: Select all

MapTool 1.3:  c:\users\yourname\.maptool

MapTool 1.5:  c:\users\yourname\.maptool-rptools
On a system that had 1.3 and 1.5 installed, you might see two Default folder in your Resource Library within MapTool. One for each location. You may have only seen one however. In any case, modifying the contents of one wouldn't show up if you were looking at the other inside of MapTool.

Second, you should avoid modifying or adding assets to the Default folder. Instead, you should Add one of your own folders to the Resource Library and put your files there.

The list of folders displayed in the Resource Library is saved in the registry as Aliasmask said. The specific entry is:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\/Map/Tool\prefs\asset/Roots
If you delete the contents of that key, all of the folders shown in the Resource Library window will be removed. The folders themselves will still be there at the location show above. You can put the Default folder back via Help -> Restore Default Images...

Return to “General Discussion”