Map folders?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Dobly
Kobold

Map folders?

Post by Dobly »

I am running Curse of Strahd and using Maptools to run the game online with buddies.

There will be many many maps by time I am done.

I am using a number system to keep the maps grouped.

001a. House
001b. Basement

002a. Church grounds
002b. Church level 1
002c. Church Crypt
Etc

This works. But even on my big monitor the maps list will scroll out the bottom of the screen.

Is there a way to to put maps in folders?

Then I could do

001 Church
Level 1
Crypt

If this is not possible, it would be really cool on a future version.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Map folders?

Post by Full Bleed »

Dobly wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:13 pm
This works. But even on my big monitor the maps list will scroll out the bottom of the screen.
You must be using an older version of Maptool. Newer versions use a fixed size map selection window (20 maps/rows) with a vertical scroll bar.

Though I actually wish we could set the number of maps rows ourselves. This "improvement" now makes me use the vertical scroll bar when I didn't have to before and it takes me longer to find maps.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

bubblobill
Giant

Post by bubblobill »

Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

Dobly
Kobold

Post by Dobly »

I am using 1.6.1. My maps have not reached the bottom of the screen yet. I will be resize the window and see what happens.

Mmmm. That does not work. The map drop down grows bigger than the window.

I will make a few dozen maps and see what happens......

Ok. The drop down never gets to the bottom of the screen. It gets a vertical scroll bar. That is ok, but wouldn't it be great to have maps in sets of folders. My number system will keep them grouped. But each in a folder would be tops.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I like the folder idea. Hopefully now that there is a github request in someone jumps on it.

I'd also like to be able to set the map selection window size myself as opposed to it being a fixed size. It's currently half the size I'd like it to be when using 1080p. And it really feel unnecessarily small for higher rez.

And, while we're at it, I'd also still like to be able to hide the Map Select from players completely. I hide all of my maps and use a custom Map Select macro in my framework for more options (which means the "Map not visible to players" message is on top of my maps all the time whether it actually is in my campaign or not.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “General Discussion”