Community Project - The RPG Nexus

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

VagariesOfFate
Kobold

Community Project - The RPG Nexus

Post by VagariesOfFate »

Hello all, (again if you've read the Community Challenge)

The RPG Nexus is a concept that I have developed over the past 18 months as I've attempted to find an RPG group to game with.

Some background:

I started gaming in about 1978 with AD&D first edition and was a dedicated player and mostly GM until I was about 20 when my gaming groups had found adult lives and my own life had taken me across the country to live. As my co-gamers moved or moved on and after my own move, I looked for groups of players to continue my gaming with.

What I found was a combination of too many possible places to find a game, too few actual games to find that worked with my interests or schedule and on those rare occasions that I tried a group, too many bad experiences. The effort to find a group just wasn't worth the time and energy I was going to have to invest.

Fast forward 30 years to just before the pandemic and on a whim I decided to see what the world of RPGs had become outside of WoW, DDO and other unsatisfactory CRPGs that I had been subsisting on. WOW!!!!! Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, quality VTTs all over the place (I hadn't found MapTool), gaming websites, gaming discord servers. There were SOOOO many more people playing and so many ways for them to connect that my old frustration with finding a group had to be a snap to solve now!!!!!!

Ummmmmmmm, no. Here I am 18 months later and still have not experienced a new game for all the reasons I gave it up before.

Toooooooooooo many places to look for game listings that may or may not be current, no way to know anything much about the GM or other players, no way to easily find play styles, formats and systems that I interested me.

Those frustrations are what led to the idea of the RPG Nexus. A player centric RPG resource who's core purpose was to help players and GMs find the RPG experience that is right for them, regardless of game, system, format or play style, and enjoy the genre in it's wonderful entirety.

The Nexus would be a community and social networking website for players and GMs to find each other and to facilitate entry of new players and engaging experienced players in new ways.

One of the earliest Community Initiatives would be to develop and host a (series??) of MapTool based tournament RPG games for various gaming systems.

If you want to be a part of bringing this concept to life or have any thoughts you'd like to share on the idea, Please reply here or hit me up on the Discord server.

Cheers and hope to hear from you soon :)
RPG Nexus MapTools repository. Check it out and contribute now

https://github.com/RPG-Nexus-VTT-Databa ... nd-content

Return to “General Discussion”