Miniatures

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Miniatures

Post by Hawke »

I'm running some games with miniatures while I teach some newbies to play 4E... we'll eventually go back to the MapTool + TV system but I think it's a little bit easier to illustrate concepts when there's something in front of you and it's also much easier to keep people involved when you're sitting around staring at each other rather than staring one direction at a TV.

Anybody got some good ideas for what to use as miniatures? I thought I could pilfer some MageKnight, HeroScape, and HeroClix ones I had laying around but flipping through some adventures it looks like there's a lot more bad guys on the battlefield.

Thanks for any suggestions! Oh and since this is short term (prolly run through the map portions of Keep on the Shadowfell before we actually get into the keep) I'm not really keen on spending a million dollars.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

This guy

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/au ... %26D+minis

has a really great store for D&D minis. His shipping goes down the more you buy (and it doesn't have to be much) and he has really good prices. Rares are still a few bucks a pop, but if you stick to commons and uncommons, you can get a nice collection for under $10.

Unfortunately, he has mostly newer minis, but doesn't sound like that's an issue for you.

In case you're not an afficianado, it may help to know which sets are newer, as they tend to be cheaper. The order of the sets are:

Dungeons of Dread (newest)
Desert of Desolation
Night Below
Unhallowed
Blood War
War of the Dragon Queen
War Drums
Underdark
Angelfire
Deathknell (oldest set he has)

Also check out his unbagged section - they're opened so he reduced the price.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

A bag of green plastic army men aren't that bad for kobolds. I mean sure, mage knight or d&d minis would look alot better, but when price is an issue...

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Or you can print out a bunch of kobold images and cut them out for tokens. Either flat pieces (which could be top down images or portraits) or full length views folded into standup cutouts.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Jector wrote:Or you can print out a bunch of kobold images and cut them out for tokens. Either flat pieces (which could be top down images or portraits) or full length views folded into standup cutouts.
I totally forgot about this! Didn't someone release a KotS pack... like a company for free to get people to visit their website?

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Beats me. But any full length image will do. You just have to print them out at the right scale.
I cast firecube! ~4E

delgondahntelius
Kobold

Post by delgondahntelius »

I use chess pieces alot ... in addition to the relatively small mini collection I have... but chess pieces seem to work nicely :D
[email protected] •Have Pen, Will Travel ‡ Paladin Mapping•
Dahntelius Publishing Best little publisher in Texas.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

For the record, I went with this guy. Just picked up a bunch of scrub pieces and one more expensive one. Thanks for finding it... he was much cheaper than any of the other guys I looked at and had a considerably larger stock.

Return to “General Discussion”