D&D Players Handbook II 4e..your thoughts?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

emirikol
Dragon

D&D Players Handbook II 4e..your thoughts?

Post by emirikol »

D&D 4e Players Handbook II..your thoughts?

jh

p.s. I see it's already been pirated (4e)
Last edited by emirikol on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yes, I'm a chiropractor. Gamer fitness at Hafner Chiropractic in Lakewood, CO: http://www.HafnerChiropractic.com

verisimilar
Giant

Re: D&D Players Handbook II..your thoughts?

Post by verisimilar »

emirikol wrote:p.s. I see it's already been pirated
No, it hasn't.
Now known as zEal

emirikol
Dragon

Post by emirikol »

verisimilar wrote:
No, it hasn't.
Google torrent and phb2. There were already 5 copies availalble for people who like to pirate downloads.

jh
Yes, I'm a chiropractor. Gamer fitness at Hafner Chiropractic in Lakewood, CO: http://www.HafnerChiropractic.com

verisimilar
Giant

Post by verisimilar »

emirikol wrote:
verisimilar wrote:
No, it hasn't.
Google torrent and phb2. There were already 5 copies availalble for people who like to pirate downloads.

jh
Need I remind you that 3.5E had a PHB2?
Now known as zEal

emirikol
Dragon

Post by emirikol »

They're listed as 4e.

jh

emirikol
Dragon

Post by emirikol »

Anyways, I pissed away a lot of money on books I never opened more than once (DMG II anyone?). My goal for 4e is to let my players waste their hard earned money first and then quiz them ;)

Since I'm only DMing, the most valuable thing I have is the DDI subscription to DUNGEON. DRAGON may be somewhat useful for organizations or something, but little else.

So, anyone care to comment if they feel the PHB2 is a valuable resource?

jh
Last edited by emirikol on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

verisimilar
Giant

Re: D&D Players Handbook II 4e..your thoughts?

Post by verisimilar »

As a DM, any book you plan to allow your players to use is necessary for you.
Now known as zEal

emirikol
Dragon

Post by emirikol »

verisimilar wrote:As a DM, any book you plan to allow your players to use is necessary for you.

I used to think that. In fact, when I was Triad for LG in our area, I HAD to buy all those crappy 3.0 splats. Those are going to warm my toes in the fire bin this spring :)

Now, I usually just go to the "character optimization" boards at wotc and you can quickly find out what's broken. :)

[edit] Mostly, I just like to have it all pulled together for my house rulebook and integrated into the world. There's only about a paragraph for each that goes towards background (as D&D tends to be incredibly generic thankfully). Good thing there is that they've been releasing that text on DDI, so we've been ahead of the curve there.

jh

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Not really, if the player's provide you with access to the book.

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

I don't have it yet, but I am very excited about the new races (goliaths! Yay!) and the new classes have a lot of new tricks that should help shake the idea that 4e classes are the same.

The sorc and shaman have some weird powers in that regard. Chaos Bolt, for instance.

Edit- As far as I can tell it's not in a torrent.

Humble Apostle
Cave Troll

Post by Humble Apostle »

At least not in a torrent that is free to use T_T
"A Knight is sworn to Valour"
"His Heart knows only Virtue"
"His Blade defends the Helpless"
"His Might upholds the Weak"
"His Words speak only Truth"
"His Wrath undoes the Wicked"

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

emirikol wrote:Google torrent and phb2. There were already 5 copies availalble for people who like to pirate downloads.
Lulz... those are ad links, not actual torrents.

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

i haven't looked at the torrents yet, but I'm sure it's out there, or will be shortly. The probability of it NOT being pirated is practically nil. It's somewhat like the probability that Spore wouldn't be pirated.

It's going to happen, people will find a way to post a copy of it on various torrents, and if you can't find it, you aren't looking very hard. Again, I'm not sure it's there yet, but it will be soon enough.

(Note that video game crackers are MUCH more aggressive than those hacking/cracking the ebooks or doing scans of the actual books and running a solid OCR--but the audience is bigger as well. Also note that I'm not condoning either scene. I figure if you like the books or the games well enough to use them for LONG term personal usage, then you should reward the publisher with your cash. If you aren't going to use them for enough time to do that...well that's your own call. I know what decisions I've come to in that regard--but each person needs to make up their own mind on that score. The legality of it all is a very different situation as well--this is one of those instances where I don't feel that the laws are truly appropriate to the morality OR the reality. The laws are based on outdated modes that simply were not foreseen when they were created. The DMCA is simply trying to patch the old reality onto the new, which is a recipe for disaster in almost any case.)

That's my piece on piracy. Now back to the PHB II 4e. What I've heard from reviewers (I've not looked at it personally, and I'm not sure I could make a good call because I don't play 4e...) is that it seems to be pretty solid. Much more of a core addition than the PHB2 from 3.x was. Actually, the description of the Invoker class had me intrigued. Let's just say that if I were playing 4e, I'd probably pick it up and give it a go based on what I've heard about it. Since I'm a 3.x man, however...
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

logopolis
Giant

Post by logopolis »

I got my PH2 copy in the mail a few days ago. The new races and classes are pretty solid, and there's nothing there that would prevent me from including it in my home game. The sorcerer and invoker look the most interesting to me, but all of the classes are pretty distinct from the PH1 ones. I'm pleased to see the reintroduction of devas (aasimars) as well.

I agree with Orchard, it's certain the PH2 will show up on torrent sites. My guess is that it won't happen until after the official PDF version goes on sale, though. (Unless someone online is so dedicated that they scan in their hardcover copy...)

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

logopolis wrote:My guess is that it won't happen until after the official PDF version goes on sale, though. (Unless someone online is so dedicated that they scan in their hardcover copy...)
This happens all the time. Steal a copy from a shipment, with a little work take off the binding, feed it into an auto-feed scanner, and then curse like a pirate while you wait for it to finish.

Return to “General Discussion”