[Nerps!] MapTool Fork based on 1.4.1.x

Notes on testing the latest builds of MapTool

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

ZuppaDePesce
Kobold

Re: [Nerps!] MapTool Fork based on 1.4.1.x

Post by ZuppaDePesce »

Honestly, I didn't know a restart is required. I should have known. It's been a facepalm moment for me, actually. If I throw another error, I'll post degug info here.

Thanks!
I want to play D&D on a free VTT. Not program a video game . . . a paper and pencil/digital hybrid would be nice!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

No problem. We've already discussed how there needs to be a pop up reminder of this, since I don't think it's mentioned anywhere in the existing UI...

ZuppaDePesce
Kobold

Post by ZuppaDePesce »

We're up and running! It is interesting to note that the only way I could have my remote players connect with 1.4.1.8 was if I had the Port forwarded and had UPnP enabled on my router and had UPnP selected when starting the MTserver.......strange, I know. When starting the Nerps server today, I finally unchecked UPnP under Start Server, and we were able to connect.....

With the Java memory settings in place on both ends, there were no errors either. Very cool.

Thanks.

Now we have to learn how to setup our char sheets and use all of those buttons in the Campaign window!
I want to play D&D on a free VTT. Not program a video game . . . a paper and pencil/digital hybrid would be nice!

ZuppaDePesce
Kobold

Post by ZuppaDePesce »

I have noticed that a lot of the discussion about Maptools, especially here regarding the Nerps edition is somewhat technical. After confirming that my remote player can connect without error, I began poking around with the Nerps features. It was then that I discovered the Campaign window. (I don't recall opening it before while exploring other editions of MT).

Is there a guide for these functions? -Specifically the Character Management functions? My remote player and I discovered the "Initial Setup" button under Character Management. We clicked through and entered the obvious data, but are stumped over how to properly enter AC, Hit Dice or HP! We see available fields under Rt Click Token>Edit>Properties, but we have no confidence that this is the right course of action. . . .

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

What you're looking at is part of the campaign, not part of Nerps. When you execute MapTool (there's no "s" on the end), you get an empty map and that's it. When you load the campaign, you're loading a configuration for YOUR game. The one that Jamz provides, is the basic campaign that he uses for his games, but if you look here in the forums, you'll find other people have created "starter campaigns" for other game systems (we tend to call them "frameworks" here on the forum).

Since the campaign you're looking at was written by Jamz for Jamz, there's not a lot of documentation for it, although some of the pieces come from other people and those pieces are documented. For example, you could check out wolph42's "bag of tricks" (see the frameworks forum) since Jamz includes much of that framework into his campaign.

You might want to check out the main page of the wiki if you're not very familiar with MapTool yet.

ZuppaDePesce
Kobold

Post by ZuppaDePesce »

I see. If I am recalling correctly, Jamz is running a Pathfinder game, so that explains some of the token property fields I don't recognize.
Now I remember how I stumbled on to Jamz's fork. I was trying to load a campaign file that was built around a 5e framework so I could create a VTT for our 5e game. (paulstrait's "5e Framework - June 2017.cmpgn") I was presented with a warning that what I was trying to load was built using a newer version of Maptool than the one I launched. This was very likely 1.4.1.8. and therefore needed a newer version....Etc.

I just re-read your reply above. I think I'm more clear about all of this, thank you. I was under the impression that Nerps was a fork that was customized with 5e features and creatures. I understand now that while it does offer a lot of features and creatures, it's not a "5e version of Maptool." .....and may be more ready to go for Pathfinder, if anything.

I could simply load that 5e cmpgn file into the Nerps build and go from there, right?

This is all so confusing for this old kid who brought his brand new boxed D&D Basic Set to school to show his friends the game he learned to play at summer camp! Thanks for the quick responses to my posts!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

ZuppaDePesce wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:13 pm
I understand now that while it does offer a lot of features and creatures, it's not a "5e version of Maptool." .....and may be more ready to go for Pathfinder, if anything.

I could simply load that 5e cmpgn file into the Nerps build and go from there, right?
Yep, you've got it. You can use his fork of MapTool (it has a lot of cool features!) and load the 5e framework that you want to use.

Cheers!

sanpats
Kobold

Post by sanpats »

Is there anyway to run the latest Nerps Maptool (1.4.5.4) on Windows 32-bit system? Some of my players has very old PC.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Edit: Can't be done. The nerps release requires either Java 9 or 10 and those are only available in 64-bit releases.

sanpats
Kobold

Post by sanpats »

Phergus wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:24 pm
Edit: Can't be done. The nerps release requires either Java 9 or 10 and those are only available in 64-bit releases.
Thanks. I use 1.4.4.0 instead.

Return to “Testing”