[Nerps!] MapTool Fork based on 1.4.1.x

Notes on testing the latest builds of MapTool

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Glitch(TMG)
Cave Troll

Re: [Nerps!] MapTool Fork based on 1.4.1.x

Post by Glitch(TMG) »

Been giving this Nerps thing a try on the current build, 1.4.5.2. Seems pretty cool so far, but, there is a minor problem; no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the dang thing to change its autosave directory from the default filepath. No matter how I browse or enter anything in, it keeps autosaving campaign files and chatlogs to the default directory.

It's not a huge issue, but it is a small nuisance. Is there any way to actually change the autosave filepath?

EDIT: Also, I and everyone else I'm trying it out with are reporting that playing system sounds appears to be nonfunctional as well. Again, not a showstopper, but a small and perplexing inconvenience.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I don't believe there is a place to change the auto save directory, it always saves under the datadir path (that you can change but that changes path for everything like cache)

And what system sounds are you not getting? I want to say there are only like 2 or 3 in maptool, a ding or 2 (not sure exactly in what instances those are played). MT is pretty "quiet" otherwise...

Most of these types of settings will take place after you restart MT as well.
-Jamz

Glitch(TMG)
Cave Troll

Post by Glitch(TMG) »

JamzTheMan wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:44 am
I don't believe there is a place to change the auto save directory, it always saves under the datadir path (that you can change but that changes path for everything like cache)

And what system sounds are you not getting? I want to say there are only like 2 or 3 in maptool, a ding or 2 (not sure exactly in what instances those are played). MT is pretty "quiet" otherwise...

Most of these types of settings will take place after you restart MT as well.
....Huh. So there isn't an option for that...never was even in the mainline MapTool, either...well shoot. Inconvenient, but manageable. :B

And as for system sounds...yes, there is just the dings, and nobody is getting any dings anymore. If you have "Play system sounds" checked, it should ding every time a new line is added to the chat. If "Only when window is not focused" is also checked, then it's silent when focused, but if you tab to something else, then it should ding every time a new chat line is added until you tab back.

Nobody in my group that is trying Nerps out has yet to hear a single ding at all under any circumstances, and it is also a little inconvenient, some of us got used to dings. :B
Last edited by Glitch(TMG) on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I created an issue to track this: https://github.com/JamzTheMan/MapTool/issues/88
-Jamz

satheyo
Kobold

Post by satheyo »

One of my players tried to install Nerps maptool using the .exe but received this error mid installation:

Any idea what's wrong? Maptools 1.4.1.8 works, but not Nerps.
"Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours." -Words to the D'Haran devotion

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

satheyo wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:41 pm
One of my players tried to install Nerps maptool using the .exe but received this error mid installation:

Any idea what's wrong? Maptools 1.4.1.8 works, but not Nerps.
This is usually the problem when you see that error: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21140
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

You say "mid installation" but that's a MT error so it "installed" then ran, but must have errored right away?

I assume Windows 10? Was he doing anything before hand?
-Jamz

satheyo
Kobold

Post by satheyo »

My apologies, I heard him wrong. This is what he says: "Nerps installed, but it gets stuck on the launcher with the error message appearing". Also, he uses Windows 10.

He does use an arabic/turkish alphabet.
"Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours." -Words to the D'Haran devotion

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ahh, well, there we go. Looks like the swing forms lib we use is loading the form using the locale which is changing "key words" like fill to fıll and breaking it badly.

I didn't test but I'm going to guess the 1.4.1.8 launcher is defaulting the user language to en_US (or he already set it via launcher). I had just recently added the language support (we only support a few languages) and not defaulting to english but letting it default to your locale. I guess that is bad and I'll have to force MT to load as english unless you override it.

In the meantime he'll have to specify english in the startup by manually editing the file: C:\Users[username]\AppData\Roaming\net.rptools.maptool.client\packager\jvmuserargs.cfg

add -Duser.language\==en in the JVMUserOverrideOptions so it looks something like this:

[JVMUserOverrideOptions]
-Xss=4M
-Duser.language\==en

On the next start of MT, he may still get a pop up error (the Asset library saves your last dir/location and it'll be saved in turkish). Just click any other folder in the resource lib and exit and restart and should be good from there.
-Jamz

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

JamzTheMan wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:45 am
Ahh, well, there we go. Looks like the swing forms lib we use is loading the form using the locale which is changing "key words" like fill to fıll and breaking it badly.
So do you know what the problem is here? Is it Abeille or something else?

Turkish words can change their meaning if case is changed. But I don't recall that there's an enforced case change anywhere... or is there? Maybe the ColorPicker is using enum strings and trying to case-convert them? Just curious whether you've tracked down the actual issue...

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Azhrei wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:01 pm
Turkish words can change their meaning if case is changed. But I don't recall that there's an enforced case change anywhere... or is there? Maybe the ColorPicker is using enum strings and trying to case-convert them? Just curious whether you've tracked down the actual issue...
Yea, when it's loading the abilie form's XML, it's apparently running that form through the local. So text in the XML changes, like fill to fıll (notice the i is not not a normal english i, not a case change, it threw exceptions in the log before the MT exception that is shown above). This breaks the form as it can't parse it.

I overwrote the locale in the class and it seemed to work but then the next error popped up (the image library). Not sure if this is specific to the rplib forms only as I didn't pursue the can of worms...
-Jamz

ZuppaDePesce
Kobold

Post by ZuppaDePesce »

(sigh) . . . so I'm trying to use Maptools Nerps Edition . . . I finally learned how to edit the startup memory size using the proper suffix (m). But I'm still getting the stack overflow error and the same error upon disconnecting the server as described in a previous post. the one where it throws an error the first time, but disconnects the second time.

Windows 10 x64, 16gb ram etc. and the latest Java at this time. (v8 191)
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (52.3 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
I want to play D&D on a free VTT. Not program a video game . . . a paper and pencil/digital hybrid would be nice!

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

Setteings.png
Setteings.png (65.65 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

ZuppaDePesce
Kobold

Post by ZuppaDePesce »

I see what you are showing me, however what I'm showing you is that I'm STILL getting an overstack error, despite those (oversized) settings! . . . and All I have loaded in my campaign is the Heir of Orcus Verse 1 module with a couple of tokens in the maps.

Could a large resource library (4.45GB) cause an overstack error?
I want to play D&D on a free VTT. Not program a video game . . . a paper and pencil/digital hybrid would be nice!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Generally not. Stack overflows are commonly from threads that use a lot of stack; the primary culprit is the code that handles the MTscript macros. The macros are parsed by a regular expression engine and because of the way it works, certain complex interactions in the way a macro is built can cause the regex engine to blow the stack (the regex engine uses a recursion technique to find matching strings and its possible that the recursion goes so deep that the thread runs out of stack space).

You do realize that after making those changes, you have to restart MT for them to take effect, right? Also, when reporting problems it can be helpful to use the Help > Gather Debug Information... menu option and post the text results inside a [ code ] block here on the forum (paste the text, then highlight it and hit the "Code" button at the top of the edit window).

Return to “Testing”