Testing need for b90

Notes on testing the latest builds of MapTool

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

Testing need for b90

Post by Azhrei »

I think I've got the build system configured properly for OSX now. I've built both versions of 1.3.b90 (ZIP and DMG) and would like some folks to try them out. The ZIP version can be tested on all three platforms, the DMG one only on OSX.

I'm looking for any anomalies in the packaging: filenames are wrong (like "maptool" instead of "MapTool"), files in the wrong directories, and so on. They both incorporate the new launcher as well, so please play with that too and see if you can find any last-minute glitches. (I found a NPE quite accidentally during the build process because a file didn't get copied correctly. Never would have seen it otherwise...) Please review the various README files to see if I've screwed anything up in a major way.

Yes, I know this is a big push, but once b90 is released I'm going to work solely on 2.0 as much as I can. At least, barring any major bugs being found.

There are still outstanding patches that I need to apply (three that I know of off the top of my head). I thought I could have some folks testing the new build approach while I finish the code.

I'm going out of the country on Sunday and won't have good Internet access for at least 8-10 days. If I'm lucky I'll be able to get this thing out the door before I get out the door. On Sunday, that is. :)

The files are about 20MB each so here's my Public folder on Dropbox and you can get them there.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

badsequel
Giant

Re: Testing need for b90

Post by badsequel »

Long story short: MT works great so far.
Launcher is no go on win8 machine, works on win7.

Is the developerNotes.html supposed to be empty?

---------------------- WIN 8 --------------------------
Launcher will not launch :lol:
Spoiler

Code: Select all

C:\Progs\maptool-1.3.b90>java -jar launcher-130725.01.jar
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.io.File.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at net.rptools.maptool.launcher.MapToolLauncher.parseCfgValues(MapToolLauncher.java:1125)
        at net.rptools.maptool.launcher.MapToolLauncher.readCfgFile(MapToolLauncher.java:1267)
        at net.rptools.maptool.launcher.MapToolLauncher.<init>(MapToolLauncher.java:230)
        at net.rptools.maptool.launcher.MapToolLauncher$21.run(MapToolLauncher.java:1705)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Launching the Mt jar it will launch but Mt runs out of heap space, although I did tweak the Mt.cfg file to fit my pathfinder campaign file.

I will remove all Java, reinstall and try again later.

edit:
I have reinstalled java and running the Mt .jar works just fine. The launcher will still not start, though.
Spoiler

Code: Select all

C:\Progs\maptool-1.3.b90>java -jar launcher-130725.01.jar
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.io.File.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at net.rptools.maptool.launcher.MapToolLauncher.parseCfgValues(MapToolLauncher.java:1125)
        at net.rptools.maptool.launcher.MapToolLauncher.readCfgFile(MapToolLauncher.java:1267)
        at net.rptools.maptool.launcher.MapToolLauncher.<init>(MapToolLauncher.java:230)
        at net.rptools.maptool.launcher.MapToolLauncher$21.run(MapToolLauncher.java:1705)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

C:\Progs\maptool-1.3.b90>java -version
java version "1.7.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

---------------------- WIN 7 --------------------------
\O/ Works like a charm on my win7 64 laptop.

That includes the launcher thingy

java version "1.7.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b16)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)
My shared rpg stuff:
(exe)TokenNameChanger3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqsof54v3dl2k ... 3.zip?dl=0
Tiddly Spell Wiki: https://www.dropbox.com/s/53pya4k68mnvc ... ddly01.htm

Stuff to check out:
Mote Kickstarter(back it): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... abletop-ev

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Windows 7 x64, Java 7 x64 u21.

-- Launcher works fine for me, could change to French, change memory settings and launch Maptool with it.

--Tested for "can't remember position of framework-defined frames when closing Maptool and reopening Maptool" bug : still broken.

Hopefully this one will be fixed in b90, it's hurting my OCD :)

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

MacOS

Everything looks fine (I have to admit I didnt invested much time to break it)
Launcher does work fine, but it doesnt launch MT unless you move it out of .dmg - I guess thats fine.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

That's a strange problem with Win8, but I'll take a look at the source to see if I can determine why we're getting a NPE. It may have something to do with new security constraints in Win8...

If the framework issue is that panels don't open where they were when you closed MT, then I think the solution (as discussed on another thread) is to close the panel using the "X" instead of using the OK or Cancel buttons. Then when the panel gets opened later the location comes back.

I haven't determined what's actually causing this. The code is doing the right thing, but username suggested that it might be a different route through the JVM depending on which button is clicked. Since there's a workaround I haven't spent much time on this one.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

CoveredInFish wrote:MacOS

Launcher does work fine, but it doesnt launch MT unless you move it out of .dmg - I guess thats fine.
Thanks for testing on OSX.

It won't work from inside the DMG because it tries to create the ".cfg" file in the same directory as the code and the DMG will be read-only.

Interesting that you even mention that -- I've never considered trying to run an application from within the disk image! If I can find a way to make the DMG read-write this would be a cool way for a GM to distribute a pre-configured app to his OSX-using players. :)

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Azhrei wrote: If the framework issue is that panels don't open where they were when you closed MT, then I think the solution (as discussed on another thread) is to close the panel using the "X" instead of using the OK or Cancel buttons. Then when the panel gets opened later the location comes back.
The symptoms I'm referring to are actually different. It applies to frames created within frameworks (like a character sheet for example, or a custom whisper form). During a game session, I typically dock these frames on Maptool's edges and keep them open for the whole game session. At the end of the session, I just close Maptool (with these frames still opened and docked). If I reopen the same framework, and call these frames, they open docked at the right location with b87. With b89 and b90, they open undocked and right in the middle of the monitor, with their default size. If I dock them again the way I like and close Maptool, then reopen Maptool and the framework, b89 and b90 have forgotten their location again, whereas that did not happen with b87.

I hope that helps. This bug was already reported in the b89 announcement thread, and I remember someone mentioned this was maybe related to a similar bug that was fixed for OSX, but somehow the fix affected Windows, breaking the feature : LINK

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Azhrei wrote:Interesting that you even mention that -- I've never considered trying to run an application from within the disk image! If I can find a way to make the DMG read-write this would be a cool way for a GM to distribute a pre-configured app to his OSX-using players. :)
Yes .. that would be cool - although I guess not many people would make use of it.

I mentioned it because I simply forgot to "install" it and double clicked it right from the image. It took me a while to find out why the launcher failed.

Flexible-sized RW-disk images are at least possible .. I used those as work around for some FinalCutProX-Problems. But I guess its more a problem of finding out how to create those in your developing environment.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:
CoveredInFish wrote:MacOS

Thanks for testing on OSX.

It won't work from inside the DMG because it tries to create the ".cfg" file in the same directory as the code and the DMG will be read-only.

Interesting that you even mention that -- I've never considered trying to run an application from within the disk image! If I can find a way to make the DMG read-write this would be a cool way for a GM to distribute a pre-configured app to his OSX-using players. :)
Isn't that what a jnlp file is for? :roll:
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Hi Azh, just found time to run a test on my laptop. Previous install is b87 (twice, one with a special jar and one without),

I downloaded mtb90.zip, unpacked to desktop in a dir. and ran the launcher-130725.01.jar
This rendered the following error:
c:\..\mt.cfg line 1 incorrect and line 4 incorrect.
So out of the box I have issues. Hence I deleted the .cfg file and tried again. This worked. Changed settings: macro logging and launch with console. pointed to the \bin dir in java. And clicked launch.
Next error I got 'windows cannot find -Xms64M' make sure....etc.
so tried again and this time I resetted the java version (IRC I have only one 64 installed). Launch worked. In the console I got that error which I previously noted
Spoiler
TinyLaF v1.4.0
Theme: file:/C:/Users/Wolph/Desktop/MT%20B90%20beta/Default.theme
Aug 06, 2013 10:41:42 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0
x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.
, but which does not interfere with mt.

I opened the Dungeon Builder 2 in b90 (as Im curious whether mt will eat it as its created in a spin off of b89). It didn't, at least, the screen remained stuck on 'loading campaign' for quite some while, so I restarted.... same error in console and it didn't start, It remained stuck on a white screen saying 'grasslands' with the mt symbol. so quit again and this time checked the memory (task manager), but not redundant java was running. So Started again. This time the launcher didn't run at all. So I guess an overall crash. Need to reboot and as im typing this while testing... ill submit this message and edit later on.

edit: and were back. Rebooted laptop, and started b90 again. Loaded BoT (b87 compatible). It loaded, but I could not operate the map anymore (zoom, move etc). I could still access the menu's. Chat also worked, just the map broke.

To verify I exited mt, restarted and checked whether a clean campaign at all worked: it does. Added token, zoomed, edited etc. All worked.
So loaded BoT again. This time it *did* work. However I did notice a couple of errors in the console
Spoiler
TinyLaF v1.4.0
Theme: file:/C:/Users/Wolph/Desktop/MT%20B90%20beta/Default.theme
Aug 06, 2013 10:52:21 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0
x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.
Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 3" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spac
e
at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(Unknow
n Source)
at sun.awt.image.ImageRepresentation.createBufferedImage(Unknown Source)

at sun.awt.image.ImageRepresentation.setPixels(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.ImageDecoder.setPixels(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.PNGImageDecoder.sendPixels(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.PNGImageDecoder.produceImage(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.InputStreamImageSource.doFetch(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.fetchloop(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 2" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spac
e
at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(Unknow
n Source)
at sun.awt.image.ImageRepresentation.createBufferedImage(Unknown Source)

at sun.awt.image.ImageRepresentation.setPixels(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.ImageDecoder.setPixels(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.PNGImageDecoder.sendPixels(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.PNGImageDecoder.produceImage(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.InputStreamImageSource.doFetch(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.fetchloop(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.run(Unknown Source)
Tried a couple of core features of the BoT (initialize maps, and teleports) they all worked.
tested 'lengthy' input screens (they tended to drop of screen) and this appears to work better, but it still fails. the best test: load the BoT campaign file. Select lib:ontokenmove and then from the campaign panel choose 'edit token' (this is AM's macro editor), then choose 'choose macro' and ok. You will get an input that does not fit on screen and thus you cannot click 'ok'.
During a map switch I got another error:
Spoiler
Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spac
e
Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spac
e
Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 3" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead li
mit exceeded
So I gathered that you;l need my debug info as well:
Spoiler
==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.3.b90
MapTool Home...: C:\Users\Wolph\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 227M
Max mem used...: 228M
Custom Property: -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=C:\Users\Wolph\.maptool

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
Java Version: 1.7.0_25
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b17)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 8
OS Version.....: 6.2
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;.
Number of Procs: 2

==== User Information ====
User Name: Wolph
User Home: C:\Users\Wolph
User Dir.: C:\Users\Wolph\Desktop\MT B90 beta

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN
Interface Name: net4
Address...:
Address...:

Display Name..: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Interface Name: net6
Address...:
Address...:
Host Address...:
Default Gateway:

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: United Kingdom
Language: English
Locale..: English (United Kingdom)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 1
Display 1: 1366x768(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
No IGDs Found!
next i tried to load BoT (b90-beta compatible) basically same as DB2 but hopefully this one does load... alas it doesn't, yet another GC overhead limit exceeded. After which MT crashes.
So closed everything and tried again, but now from a clean start-up: 'Campaign not readable by this version of MT....etc.' alas. So ill need to devise a trick to import the macros into b90 later on, but thats my problem.

So final test, tried to load some of my running campaigns. againa gc overhad limit exceeded.
Hence I had a better look at the launcher and noticed that max mem per default is set to 256mb... changed that to 1024mb and tried again. That worked.
played around a bit and everything appeared to be working.

HTH

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Post by Lord.Ashes »

I was wondering if anyone has some good VMs set up for testing MT. I am running Windows 8 Java 7 myself but I would like to test some functionality that I wrote for cleaning the cache on other systems (such as a Java 6 system). I am using VirtualBox for visualization but I don't have any good VMs set up to test different systems.

I was wondering if you guys had some standard VMs that you use for testing (to ensure that MT changes work on a variety of machines) or are you currently relying on feedback from other users to provide you information about other system combinations?

On a side note:

Azhrei, if my latest code modifications to Cache Cleaner work well under both Java6- and Java7+ is it too late to include that code (or a variant of it if, for example, you want the configuration to be accessible from the GUI) into the b90 build? It sounds like b90 will probably be one of the last (or maybe the last) 1.3.x builds and thus it would be nice to have the cache cleaner functionality as part of the core MT version.
"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best,
but they only have the right to bare arms, while we have the right to bare breasts"
The Right To Bare Breasts by Bowser & Blue

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

First, I have a bunch of VMs but not all of them have a JVM installed to test MT against. I use my VMs for work so they stay pretty clean and in the past I screwed up and didn't rollback a snapshot and it cost me some pain. So now I copy the VMs to another name (instead of using snapshots) but that really sucks up disk space so I haven't done that lately.

Second, I will look at your patch over the weekend if I have time. I've got some family visiting; you know how that is. :| If the code looks pretty bullet-proof then I'll include it. But I don't want to include something that deletes files (even if it's supposed to be just stuff from the assetcache) without a huge amount of testing!

(And yes, I expect b90 will be the last in the 1.3 series.)

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Post by Lord.Ashes »

Azhrei wrote:First, I have a bunch of VMs but not all of them have a JVM installed to test MT against. I use my VMs for work so they stay pretty clean and in the past I screwed up and didn't rollback a snapshot and it cost me some pain. So now I copy the VMs to another name (instead of using snapshots) but that really sucks up disk space so I haven't done that lately.

Second, I will look at your patch over the weekend if I have time. I've got some family visiting; you know how that is. :| If the code looks pretty bullet-proof then I'll include it. But I don't want to include something that deletes files (even if it's supposed to be just stuff from the assetcache) without a huge amount of testing!

(And yes, I expect b90 will be the last in the 1.3 series.)
Understood. As I wrote in my PM, I managed to test it with a Ubuntu Java 6 VM but its cores (hopefully you can help me, if you get time, to figure out why) with my modded MT but not with an umodded MT. It works fine on Java 7. Otherwise I did testing of the delete algorithm (under Java 7) and it seems to work fine...but I understand that you will want to verify that for yourself before deciding if to include it in b90 or not. I sent you the lastest version of the Cache Cleaner patch (Rev 5) via PM.

I am glad to contribute to the project but I understand if my Cache Cleaner does not make it into the next build.
"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best,
but they only have the right to bare arms, while we have the right to bare breasts"
The Right To Bare Breasts by Bowser & Blue

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I just downloaded the b90 test version and the launcher to my pc. When trying to run either of them I get 'could not find main class. program will exit.' Any clue whats going on?
Note that b87,89 and 89-NERPS run fine.

edit: with a .bat i can get b90 running, I just get the error message when I try to run the launcher.
debug info
==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.3.b90
MapTool Home...: C:\Users\Wolph42\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 1,820M
Max mem used...: 245M

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
Java Version: 1.7.0_17
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_17-b02)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 7
OS Version.....: 6.1
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;D:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\SnapAPI\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFtk Server\bin\;.
Number of Procs: 2

==== User Information ====
User Name: Wolph42
User Home: C:\Users\Wolph42
User Dir.: C:\Users\Wolph42\Desktop\MT90-test

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Interface Name: net5
Address...:
Address...:

Host Address...: 192.168.178.64
Default Gateway: 192.168.178.1

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: United Kingdom
Language: English
Locale..: English (United Kingdom)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 2
Display 1: 1680x1050(32)
Display 2: 1280x1024(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
Device Name.: FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7360
Model Name..: FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7360
Manufacturer: AVM Berlin
Model Number: avme
Model Desc..: FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7360
Firmware....: FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7360 UPnP/1.0 AVM FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7360 111.05.23
External IP.:

Return to “Testing”