Testing need for b90

Notes on testing the latest builds of MapTool

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Lee
Dragon

Re: Testing need for b90

Post by Lee »

@Xaelvaen
I suspect you might have a "corrupted" campaign file. Back when we had an NPE issue regarding hotkeys (I think it was caused by updating MT to be compatible with Java 7; old code that used to work, now causes the NPE), one of the earlier attempts to fix this was to manually get rid of hotkey references withing the campaign file's XML details. The patch to fix that issue is here, you can find a link to the thread reporting this there. I believe you can find instructions on how to manually remove hotkey references there. Don't forget to backup your stuff prior to performing campaign surgery!

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Hmm, I doubt it. As I described earlier, I opened a blank maptool (didn't load a campaign even remotely) and made a simple macro that was [h: broadcast("Hello")]. I did this on a fresh 'opening' of Maptool so that it wouldn't possibly be influenced by an already loaded campaign. I assigned the hotkey of F2, and tried again with F5 - neither hotkey worked. Is there a chance that a corrupted campaign file that wasn't even loaded affected this test? I'll read the post nonetheless - I never disregard suggestions =)

Aha! Az I think you'll love this - I found the culprit. There's nothing wrong with the hotkeys, its with the 'auto-hide'. On my MT, I auto-hide my campaign window. Hotkeys are not working on a 'hidden' window. If I make sure its 'active' when I hit the hotkey, it works. If you want to recreate it, just dock and auto-hide your campaign window.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Xaelvaen wrote:Hmm, I doubt it. As I described earlier, I opened a blank maptool (didn't load a campaign even remotely) and made a simple macro that was [h: broadcast("Hello")]. I did this on a fresh 'opening' of Maptool so that it wouldn't possibly be influenced by an already loaded campaign. I assigned the hotkey of F2, and tried again with F5 - neither hotkey worked. Is there a chance that a corrupted campaign file that wasn't even loaded affected this test? I'll read the post nonetheless - I never disregard suggestions =)

Aha! Az I think you'll love this - I found the culprit. There's nothing wrong with the hotkeys, its with the 'auto-hide'. On my MT, I auto-hide my campaign window. Hotkeys are not working on a 'hidden' window. If I make sure its 'active' when I hit the hotkey, it works. If you want to recreate it, just dock and auto-hide your campaign window.
Ah... this seems like an issue with how the keybinding works in conjunction with the docking framework and possibly the performance enhancements Rumble did to the docking framework rendering and stuff several years ago(doubtful, though possible...)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Xaelvaen wrote:Aha! Az I think you'll love this - I found the culprit. There's nothing wrong with the hotkeys, its with the 'auto-hide'. On my MT, I auto-hide my campaign window. Hotkeys are not working on a 'hidden' window. If I make sure its 'active' when I hit the hotkey, it works. If you want to recreate it, just dock and auto-hide your campaign window.
Wow, good catch. :)

Strange that autohiding would cause that, but the keybindings must be released when hidden. There is likely a callback for this that we might be able to hook into. I guess the question is, "Is this a bug and should it be changed?"

I can see having multiple frames which use the same hotkeys and the ones you get go with the active, un-hidden frame. There could be some good uses for that.

So now we get into having a setting somewhere. Maybe a preference that defaults to "disable hotkeys when hidden" (for backwards compatibility) and which can be changed if desired. Or maybe a new parameter when opening a frame, just like we have "temporary=1" and "width=#" already. Just a simple boolean that applies to that particular frame (this is probably the most flexible).

Comments?

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Well, I always play with all my 'panels' on auto-hide, due to creating custom frames for my games. I only use the hotkeys (and vicariously the macros) for running 'character creation' and initiative controls. That being said, I have no honest preference so long as I can continue to run my macros from hidden panels, heh.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

Zalarian
Cave Troll

Post by Zalarian »

I thought I would post an issue I had trying to use some existing code. I tried to debug it as close as possible hoping that someone may be able to see the code and see the problem right away.

Steps to recreate problem:

1. Get framework here
Here is thread for that framework
2. Either create a token or download the one I created here and place in campaign file
3. Select token, Go to Campaign window and press Character Sheet
4. Click on the word powers near the top right of the character window
5. Click on the copy icon to the right of the word Powers that looks like 2 sheets of paper

As near as I can tell, the issue has to do with something along this sequence:

Lib:Sheet\SheetLoader\OnCampaignLoad
has the line to define the function [h: defineFunction("TokenTargets", "TokenTargets@Lib:Sheet")] which can be found under Lib:Sheet\Replacement\TokenTargets

Lib:Sheet\Sheet Pages\PC Sheet makes references to Lib:Sheet\Sheet Pages\SheetPowers which then references Lib:Sheet\Powers\PowersList

Clicking on the copy icon references Lib:Sheet\Copy Entry\Copy Group Entry and the 5th command in this is the following which appears to be erroring:
[H: DNT_TargetList = TokenTargets(0, if(isGM() == 1, 0, 1))]

The error message on the screen is as follows:
   Error in body of roll.     
  Statement options (if any): R, dialog("EntryWindow", "temp=1; closebutton=0; height=" + DNT_Height + "; width=" + DNT_Width)   Statement Body : { [r, macro(json.get(macro.args, "WindowType")+"Entry@Lib:Sheet"):macro.args] }

PS - Like Booga, I too am having similar issues with framework windows not being remembered where I place them and therefore have to move them back every time I load a campaign file that uses those particular framework windows. This behavior started up for me in 1.3.89 as well. I thought I should mention it since the campaign file above is a good example of this behavior as well.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Hotkeys confirmed working on my system.

Windows 7 64 bit, current version of java 7 64 bit, b90 (though downloaded a few days ago).

Alassirana
Cave Troll

Post by Alassirana »

I don't have the actual system information for my player who is having problems (and he's out of the house right now), but I was testing the campaign to make sure that everyone could log in well in advance to switching to this build. He found that he has constant outofmemory heap space errors, and no one else has them. I checked with him and he's running the same maptools memory config (min 512, max 1024, stack 6), but he's the only one I've found so far who has errors. And reinstalling Java isn't helping them. Do you have any pointers (his computer is reasonably new, so should have no problems, and I do know he's running java 7).

Alassirana

Alassirana
Cave Troll

Post by Alassirana »

We checked them by looking at the .cfg for maptools. that was the first thing we checked when he initially ended up with stack overflow errors. We've both been using maptool since the build 63 or so. We've never encountered this problem before.

Alassirana

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Alassirana wrote:We checked them by looking at the .cfg for maptools. that was the first thing we checked when he initially ended up with stack overflow errors. We've both been using maptool since the build 63 or so. We've never encountered this problem before.

Alassirana
ok. cause the .cfg file is not always the correct way to check this if you launch MT improperly. E.g. if you launch the maptool-1.3.b90.jar file by double clicking on it, then the .cfg file is completely ignored. Also if you first use the launcher you need to delete the .cfg file. If all else fails then use the .bat method to run maptool, search the forum for that.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Alassirana wrote:We checked them by looking at the .cfg for maptools. that was the first thing we checked when he initially ended up with stack overflow errors. We've both been using maptool since the build 63 or so. We've never encountered this problem before.
I'm betting he's not using the memory configuration he thinks he is. B90 does not use the old launcher or cfg file.

In Maptool have him select Help>Gather Debug Information. Then scroll to the top of the report and see if his memory configuration matches what the rest of your group is using.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “Testing”