Maptool Concepts: The Next UI, Look, and Feel

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Benz72
Giant

Re: Maptool Concepts: The Next UI, Look, and Feel

Post by Benz72 »

Ohhh.... did someone mention hotlinks? will we be able to hyperlink entries on character sheets to macros so that clicking on a skill will roll a skill check at the apropriate skill level? that would be UBER-COOL!

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

Rumble wrote: 'cuz it's adapted from my mockup from earlier on. :)
Yeah I'm lazy... I was planning on build a more complete version of what I had in mind later... but this weekend involves apartment hunting in an different town... (Yay new job, boo crazy moving schedule)...
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Benz72 wrote:Ohhh.... did someone mention hotlinks? will we be able to hyperlink entries on character sheets to macros so that clicking on a skill will roll a skill check at the apropriate skill level? that would be UBER-COOL!
That can already be done (I do it in my framework now).

bstrdsmkr
Cave Troll

Post by bstrdsmkr »

I know javascript is pretty much sent as the new scripting language, but i figured i'd throw my two copper in and point out this:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/techn ... index.html

If you use that approach, you can use javascript, python, and just about any other scripting language just as easily as you can implement one. I think opening up the possibility to use more languages will draw new creativity out of the woodwork. For example, there are a lot more people who are savvy with either python or javascript that with MTScript :D

The second thing i'd like to see is an override system like NWN had. MT comes with a standard gui and set of properties (unit movement, character sheet definitions, etc) that are read from a set of files, say gui.ini and charsheet.ini for example. When MT loads up it checks an override folder for files with the same name, and if it finds them, it will load them instead of the defaults. That way if some one writes a set of rules for say pathfinder, you drop them in the folder, restart, and go.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

neofax wrote:That is so funny! I was just thinking that the KDE4 (why the windows style on your screenie notsonoble?) way of viewing info would be great. So, a menubar that can be placed on any edge(bottom/top for normal screens or left/right for widescreen/netbooks), a info collection spot that pops up and is transparent(think init, dmg reports, whispers), floating semi-transparent frames that can be double clicked and they roll up(chat, token info/character sheet). I also would like to have the cashew style menu in the corners or hot-edges that are xml menu configurable so I can designate what is pertinent and what is not. Have a look at d20Pro for some of the stuff I am talking about. They use java and have many of these features.

Not sure if you know it or not, but you can drag the tool bar where ever you want it or even have it free floating(even outside of the main maptool window, ala tk menus.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Yes, I knew that the frames are dockable/floatable/pinable. Not what I meant though. Take a look at KDE4 to get an idea. I am looking for transparent auto hiding frames that are click thru capable. i.e. if you are just showing the auto hover statsheet and a token is underneath, the system is smart enough to know that I cannot do anything with the statsheet, so the click goes thru to the token underneath Also, I would love to have the capability like Launchy where I hit alt+spacebar and a command line pops and I start to type and it begins cycling thru the possible commands I can do. Is this unixy? Hell yeah, but why use a mouse when a keyboard will work?

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

I would love to have an undo/redo option in the macro edit window. I hit ctrl+z so many times and it kills me a little inside each time when nothing happens. :mrgreen:

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:I would love to have an undo/redo option in the macro edit window. I hit ctrl+z so many times and it kills me a little inside each time when nothing happens. :mrgreen:
i have the same problem which is why i use an external editor like notepad2 wich also has the advantage of marking your code, which makes coding so much easier.

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

I make so many little changes to test out different things that using an external editor wouldn't help.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:I make so many little changes to test out different things that using an external editor wouldn't help.
I use external editors for pretty much all editing - even small additions - unless it's truly trivial or "oops, I misspelled 'Damage'". Just keep the file open, pop back to it, and Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V a lot.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Rumble wrote:
JonathanTheBlack wrote:I make so many little changes to test out different things that using an external editor wouldn't help.
I use external editors for pretty much all editing - even small additions - unless it's truly trivial or "oops, I misspelled 'Damage'". Just keep the file open, pop back to it, and Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V a lot.
dito.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

wolph42 wrote:
Rumble wrote:
dito.
I'll 3rd that as well. I also make sure my code is saved in the dropbox folder in case I need to recover some old code. Depending on how many macros are on a lib, I'll probably have a frame open for that lib to use the MacroIO import.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

aliasmask wrote: I'll 3rd that as well. I also make sure my code is saved in the dropbox folder in case I need to recover some old code. Depending on how many macros are on a lib, I'll probably have a frame open for that lib to use the MacroIO import.

I actually have an SVN repository for my work, too. :shock: All my frameworks and such are there; with revision control.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Rumble wrote:
aliasmask wrote: I'll 3rd that as well. I also make sure my code is saved in the dropbox folder in case I need to recover some old code. Depending on how many macros are on a lib, I'll probably have a frame open for that lib to use the MacroIO import.

I actually have an SVN repository for my work, too. :shock: All my frameworks and such are there; with revision control.
Not sure if you know or not.... but Dropbox maintains version history, so you could always go back to previous versions of a file if needed....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Rumble wrote:

Not sure if you know or not.... but Dropbox maintains version history, so you could always go back to previous versions of a file if needed....
Didn't know that, but I've already got the SVN set up so...might as well roll onward.

Return to “Developer Notes”