MapTool 1.4

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Re: MapTool 1.4

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

Any changes to tokens are made while a macro is running. This means that macro's can alter tokens even if you abort them later.

[h: HP = HP - 1d8]
[h: abort(0)]

This will still reduce a token with the HP property by 1d8.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:Any changes to tokens are made while a macro is running.
I'm not sure what your post means. It's not a feature request since we have a separate forum for that. It might be an observation of how things work currently.

What is described is expected behavior. This is not a database engine and there are no transactions. :) In fact, besides SQL when it's in rigorous RI mode (which very few people use IME) I don't know of any languages that provide that feature. It's expected that the person writing the program simply put their assignment statements below the Wiki: abort() instead of above it -- problem solved! ;)

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

Just pointing out that changes can happen even if you abort a macro.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Azhrei wrote:
wolph42 wrote:from time to time questions concerning 1.4 will pop-up in my head and I assume the best place to post them is here :?:
I thought I just mentioned putting them into the Feature Request subforum and putting "1.4" in the Subject? 8)
as in will it then be possible to get output to a frame or chat during the process.
Yep, that's the plan. MTscript executes on the GUI update thread which simplifies a lot of things but also means that the rest of the UI doesn't get updated while the macros are running (except in specific cases).
Just to set expectations though, while the macros will probably run in a separate thread, its likely that output will work the way it does now. Macros run, their results are inserted into a "stream" which is then sent to chat. After all you can't exactly load random parts of a HTML file that successfully. Macros will not be intended to be used for long running asynchronous tasks, that is something better left for plug ins.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Craig wrote:
Azhrei wrote:
wolph42 wrote:from time to time questions concerning 1.4 will pop-up in my head and I assume the best place to post them is here :?:
I thought I just mentioned putting them into the Feature Request subforum and putting "1.4" in the Subject? 8)
as in will it then be possible to get output to a frame or chat during the process.
Yep, that's the plan. MTscript executes on the GUI update thread which simplifies a lot of things but also means that the rest of the UI doesn't get updated while the macros are running (except in specific cases).
Just to set expectations though, while the macros will probably run in a separate thread, its likely that output will work the way it does now. Macros run, their results are inserted into a "stream" which is then sent to chat. After all you can't exactly load random parts of a HTML file that successfully. Macros will not be intended to be used for long running asynchronous tasks, that is something better left for plug ins.
ah ofcourse... that makes a lot of sense. So maybe I should be asking for a feat, something like dumpToChat() that will stream/dump/purge all output generated by the macro up to that point to chat or frame at that point. Do you think that's feasible?

Ephestion
Cave Troll

Post by Ephestion »

Instead of each map having its own macro set, the macors should load into a Global Macro system as modules. You load a Module for D&D 4E, for Maptools Generic Module, etc

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=300

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

Ephestion wrote:Instead of each map having its own macro set, the macors should load into a Global Macro system as modules. You load a Module for D&D 4E, for Maptools Generic Module, etc

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=300
Well, that depends on how the frame work is written. each "map" doesnt have it's own macro's. Each token may (because lets face it, the fighter doesnt need to have a fireball macro) and the campaign as a whole may have macros. the "problem" with the global macros, is they're limited to your computer, they never get sent as a macro, to someone else. They were probably useful back in the olden days, before frameworks and more complex macros were built, and each player was basically left to writing their own macros, but i'm not sure they really have a place in today's games.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

aku wrote:They were probably useful back in the olden days, before frameworks and more complex macros were built, and each player was basically left to writing their own macros, but i'm not sure they really have a place in today's games.
That's my opinion as well.

I use them for testing because I can run MapTool from within Eclipse and put my test code there. If I need to stop the job and start it again later, I know the global macro(s) will be there and I don't have to save/load anything. (Global macros are handled as Java "Preferences" which means they are stored in the registry or under the user's home directory depending on the operating system being used. Every change to the global panel is saved immediately, hence my comment about no explicit save/load being needed.)

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

Yep, that one i know, i was actually the one that "fixed" the delation of them, with some help from...trevor, i think it was :D not tooting my own horn or anything, tho

Elector Count
Kobold

Post by Elector Count »

First... Happy New Year. As I wait for my daughter to fall asleep so I can join the party outside, I'm reading this post and thinking, "Awesome sauce!" :mrgreen:

Keep up the great work! Love the platform and look forward to the great things you guys/gals do on 2011... 1.3+ or 1.4.
Another WFRP 2nd Edition Refugee

Inns of the Empire
My WFRP JavaScript tool inspired by the work Henrik Gronberg
Another Caffeinated Day
My mixed topic blog and WFRP Campaign Wiki
NearbyGamers.com
A simple, effective and international registry of gamers

eRaz0r
Cave Troll

Post by eRaz0r »

So where are we with this?
Is there a git repo now? I'm still using the SVN one at the moment.
It's a fairly large undertaking to refactor for OSGi, from the looks of it.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

eRaz0r wrote:So where are we with this?
Is there a git repo now? I'm still using the SVN one at the moment.
No Git yet. As mentioned above, that won't happen until 1.3 is final. I don't feel like porting patches over from SVN to Git. :)
It's a fairly large undertaking to refactor for OSGi, from the looks of it.
Ya'think? :mrgreen:

Yeah, it's a big job. And some parts will be tougher than others. The third-party libraries will be the toughest, particularly JIDE (the docking panel library). Their forums indicate there are people having a bit of a headache making it work. Hopefully whoever gets it working will contribute it! 8)

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

So, with 1.3 final patch1, are we where we can focus on 1.4?
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Not yet. :( I put out patch01 only to find out there are still 3-4 show-stopping issues that I need to resolve. I'll try to get them done in the next day or two if time permits.

There's also a report of some severe lag so I'm hoping we can get that isolated/repeatable so I can figure out where that's coming from.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:Not yet. :( I put out patch01 only to find out there are still 3-4 show-stopping issues that I need to resolve. I'll try to get them done in the next day or two if time permits.

There's also a report of some severe lag so I'm hoping we can get that isolated/repeatable so I can figure out where that's coming from.
Azhrei, I still plan to modify the IF stuff based on our talks, so give me at least until Sunday before you do a second patch... of course, I would like to have you and/or Dorpond do some heaving testing on it once I have the patch ready....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Developer Notes”