Virenerus' T³ - Update 6: Own Website & 0.3.0

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Virenerus
Cave Troll

Re: Virenerus' MapTools - Update 4: MacroEditor & calling ma

Post by Virenerus »

Thanks for the praise. But why the despair?

What do you think about the name: Project Tiamat? For the Babylonian goddes from which the world was created.

I am currently working on ordering the projects on my system and git. after that I try to give you a (more or less) working built.

Virenerus
Cave Troll

Post by Virenerus »

First test build : Tiamat

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Tiamat sounds great! I personally would go for 'Phoenix' (rising from the ashes) but that too might be a bit pretentious :mrgreen:
another interesting option is Samsara

Virenerus
Cave Troll

Post by Virenerus »

wolf42 wrote:another interesting option is Samsara
Love it love it love it!!!

Virenerus
Cave Troll

Re: Virenerus' MapTools - Update 5: Campaign properties edit

Post by Virenerus »

Guess I will choose a more generic term, like RPGTool or something. And then I name each major release. First will be Tiamat.

I worked on reintroducing chat commands. They were broken because macros and the chat were tightly linked in the old maptool. Thus I wrote a new parser and interpreter for the chat.

Halfway through I created a new campaign property editor. I know... That wasn't really an important task, but I enjoy working with tables^^

So here is a simple but easier to use editor:
properties editor.jpg
properties editor.jpg (154.66 KiB) Viewed 5708 times

This would allow me also to make properties a tree instead of a list. Would that be useful? Being able to create properties like this:

Code: Select all

weapons [node property, can have an arbitrary amount of children of type weapon]
|
|----- weapon [node property, has exactly the children given below]
          |
          |----- name [text property]
          |----- attack-bonus [integer property]
          |----- damage [dice expression property]
Would something like this be useful? Or would it be too complicated?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

There are many (including me) who build json structures looking exactly like that. So its potentially useful IF both the keys an values pairs can be created and edited through script. In my case (although I as mentioned before, I won't be using your branch) I have a few thousand entries like this in excel. I use excel to create the code to turn them into json objects and copy paste that into maptool and then run the code.
If its possible to create such a structure similarly but embedded in MT and it still allows for automated filling, changing and reading then yes it valuable.

I like your 'checkbox' method, much cleaner then the old system. Now only add script as a value.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

This is nifty and all, but I try not to use the token type all that much. The only properties I have in there are displayed on the stat sheet and I'm even moving away from that with my own frame for token stats. I will likely only use it in the future for the mouseover event.

What I really need are some global variables with speedy read/write capability. Saving a json to a token, depending on the complexity can take forever.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I like some of these input/display improvements. I've always thought that there was a lot of room for improvement in these areas. But because they just weren't all that sexy and didn't really add new functionality, none of the community developers really seemed interested in spending much time on them. Where were you 3 years ago? ;)

That said, I'm not sure you're going to get a lot of traction being fairly new to the community and not directly supporting the old macroscript. Too bad there is no way to synergize the two scripts more seamlessly.

Lee's Mote Fork is something that's probably more than a year in the works at this point. I have to wonder if your energy might be better spent producing patches that would be more "fork and release friendly"... that is, mods that might find their way into b90 (which might still come out before Mote) or into Mote itself when its source it opened up.

I get that improving what's here might not be on your radar... but I have to believe that your work would get more use if it could be attached to a more "established" project. Nothing personal... I feel the same way about Lord Ashes' fork. There is certainly some really interesting work there... but it's probably seriously underutilized. Heck, getting people (myself included) to use the b90beta (which is better than b89 in most regards) is an uphill battle.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Virenerus
Cave Troll

Post by Virenerus »

aliasmask wrote:What I really need are some global variables with speedy read/write capability. Saving a json to a token, depending on the complexity can take forever.
This will be coming when I will create the new alternative to library tokens. Json should be no longer useful in the new system because you can workdirectly with maps/lists. That makes it very fast.
wolph42 wrote:So its potentially useful IF both the keys an values pairs can be created and edited through script.
Of course I will make everything available in the scripting API. If you catch something missing I will add it asap.
wolph42 wrote:Now only add script as a value
I added this and dice expression property types to the todo.

Virenerus
Cave Troll

Post by Virenerus »

Sorry for not posting that much in the last weeks. I am in the middle of my exams atm. What I am currently doing on the code is also not the intresting. I am finally refactoring and commenting the script API. When this is done there will be some really cool stuff again :twisted:

Virenerus
Cave Troll

Re: Virenerus' T³ - Update 6: Own Website & 0.3.0

Post by Virenerus »

I hereby proudly present to you version 0.3 of T³. This is the first release I feel confident in showing it to someone. There are probably still lots of bugs int there^^ But I will start hunting them by switching my personal RPG group to T3.
In this release there was a lot refactoring involved. The key features didn't really change. My next work will mostly aim to improve the user interface und usability. Because these changes do cot concern any compatibility I hope to put them into the future 0.3 releases.
A lot of work also went into the creation of the website and macro API documentation. I hope it will give us a strong base for future work.

bubblobill
Giant

Re: Virenerus' T³ - Update 6: Own Website & 0.3.0

Post by bubblobill »

Don't stop
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

Return to “Developer Notes”