MT 1.3b11 update

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Amaril wrote:There's no real reason why a GM needs a distinct player view of a single player during a session.
I respectfully disagree. I totally buy that "you" feel this way, but it's not at all how I feel.

I think there is something to be said for having a true view of everything the player sees on their screen, not just what their immediate vision reveals. What if I want to take a better look at everything on their map that has been revealed through FoW? Just mousing over their figure only shows me their immediate vision constraints. And what about when lighting is added? Being able to see their immediate vision won't show me how distant lighting effects are appearing to them.

Further, as an interpretive exercise, being able to "get behind their eyes" is a much more telling experience than just seeing the outline of their vision on my *fully revealed map.* It's impossible to truly digest their experience when you're seeing everything. Speaking for myself, I will probably never have a serious game in MT as a player. I think that makes being able to get closer to the player's experience all the more important since my perspective is so skewed from theirs.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

It sounds like we need to edit the Show As Player option rather than the normal GM view. How about this. Go to show as player with ctrl-shift-P as normal. This defaults to the first player in the connections view. Click on he next player in the connections view and it goes to their vision.

Advantage is that this doesn't introduce any menus we don't already have.
Disadvantage is that it still doesn't work for face to face games as there aren't any players attached in the connections window.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

As a face to facer with a projector I think I'd be happy if when I select a token on my screen or the players select a token on theirs (sometimes I control the projector, some sessions they do, either way its still just a client connected to the server I control), then it displays what they can see - and I'm happy if it does this simply using the white circle as it does now when you mouse over. Its very obvious what that character can see then.

I'd like it that in normal mode (cursor nowhere near the PCs) if a white border was drawn for the whole collective parties vision, not lots of circles but the union of the party vision. Then if you wanted to see what one PC could see (to see if he could see a given monster) then you just cursor over him and the white line changes from the union of the whole party's vision to just that character (like it does now).

Lev, as a side point, I think that if you do Shift-Ctrl-O now it will automatically re fog of war everything apart from the current character's vision. So I think in your post above you only need step 3 to be done (assuming you keep vision on all the time).

Cheers
Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

Return to “Developer Notes”