Hard fork into QT

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

KayZee
Kobold

Hard fork into QT

Post by KayZee »

So I've looked over the current latest build and came to the conclusion that building off of JavaFX isn't a very viable solution given that standard is already on the falloff. Looking into QT or unity seems to be the way forward, and given I have some QT experience (having contributed, and worked with customizing MIXXX), I'll look into what can be done in migration.

This will most likely be a multi-year project, and it'll take perhaps a year to hit the point of 'minimal viable product'.

So my question for the current maintainers for Maptool, is wither there's already a consideration for another framework? I know that there's chatter about dumping swing, but I'm not sure JavaFX is the right answer as JavaFX is already fading away.

I'm hesitant to say 'Unity' as I'd have to create my own markup language as opposed to QT's standard QML as I want to have interface mutability built in rather than hard coded as it is currently with swing.

Ideally, I'll start making a front end UI mock-up in QT, then see what I can bind the controls to using Maptools as the backend. I'll need some guidance as to what can be easily compartmentalized vs what is hard baked and needs to be separated with care.

Phergus
Deity

Re: Hard fork into QT

Post by Phergus »

You might be better off posting this to the MapTool discord server under development.

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

Qt's not free is it ?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

KayZee wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:21 am
So I've looked over the current latest build and came to the conclusion that building off of JavaFX isn't a very viable solution given that standard is already on the falloff. Looking into QT or unity seems to be the way forward, and given I have some QT experience (having contributed, and worked with customizing MIXXX), I'll look into what can be done in migration.

This will most likely be a multi-year project, and it'll take perhaps a year to hit the point of 'minimal viable product'.

So my question for the current maintainers for Maptool, is wither there's already a consideration for another framework? I know that there's chatter about dumping swing, but I'm not sure JavaFX is the right answer as JavaFX is already fading away.

I'm hesitant to say 'Unity' as I'd have to create my own markup language as opposed to QT's standard QML as I want to have interface mutability built in rather than hard coded as it is currently with swing.

Ideally, I'll start making a front end UI mock-up in QT, then see what I can bind the controls to using Maptools as the backend. I'll need some guidance as to what can be easily compartmentalized vs what is hard baked and needs to be separated with care.
I hope you get some assistance from the "current maintainers of Maptool"... but if you don't, I hope it doesn't deter you from further exploring some of the options you've presented. MT is a great VTT, but it's barely even in maintenance mode at this point and we haven't had any new blood pop in and contribute anything meaningful in a very long time.

The initial interest in seeing MT on Java FX (from devs) was probably first talked about nearly 10 years ago... perhaps more seriously 5+ years ago. But I'm not sure a lot of serious work has been done on it. So if MT is going to be ported over to something else to carry it through the next decade in this very changed landscape, something with a future (both in the platform and the people willing to work on and maintain it) should be discussed.

Good luck.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:02 pm
KayZee wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:21 am

I hope you get some assistance from the "current maintainers of Maptool"... but if you don't, I hope it doesn't deter you from further exploring some of the options you've presented. MT is a great VTT, but it's barely even in maintenance mode at this point and we haven't had any new blood pop in and contribute anything meaningful in a very long time.

The initial interest in seeing MT on Java FX (from devs) was probably first talked about nearly 10 years ago... perhaps more seriously 5+ years ago. But I'm not sure a lot of serious work has been done on it. So if MT is going to be ported over to something else to carry it through the next decade in this very changed landscape, something with a future (both in the platform and the people willing to work on and maintain it) should be discussed.

Good luck.
I beg to differ but, there is an active branch as we (admittedly slowly) work towards this goal: https://github.com/RPTools/maptool/tree/FX

The latest landscape for Java has been a bit of a minefield to navigate and we have to weigh if we want to support and only work on an older version of Java with it's limitations or soldier on with the latest and greatest, taking on those limitations and issues.

As far as QT vs FX is concerned, I wouldn't say FX is dead (we will see how it remains viable in the OS community) but for now I'm personally committed to it and personally don't have any interest in QT. But that by far doesn't stop anyone from taking on the project. By all means, feel free to give it a go. If it's solid, present it to the community!
-Jamz

KayZee
Kobold

Post by KayZee »

I don't really see how throwing shade at maintainers helps, the code base is pretty large and difficult to manage, especially without the original author on board.

Looking at the gradle build chain and taking it apart will take some time as I'm not familiar with this build chain. Much of my Java experience has been with self-executing jars built via ANT and Android apps + framework.

Is there a wiki or reference to help navigate the repository or is it just 'read the code' + java docs?

Return to “Developer Notes”