Wall of Features Submission Request

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

Here is my wishlist

1) Incorporate init tool into maptool
2) Allow a token macro switch so that, token macros do not autoexecute, but instead post to chat text input box.

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Guess I’ll play along as well…

In no particular order:

1 ) User definable token halos (overlays), multiple image tokens, and token bases.
The halos and bases should probably be a campaign property so that custom state overlays won’t have to be added to the list manually for every character.

2 ) Ability for users to easily alter/replace all interface graphics.
Right now they have to be manually replaced within the .jar files overwriting the original. Perhaps a user override directory that would take precedence over the .jars?

3 ) Movement blocking
Put the pathing algorithm to work. Even something as simple as making LBL also block movement would fine for starters and for most circumstances.

4 ) “Projector Mode”
When in a face-to-face game, it would be helpful to be able to have a second map window open that’s set to the player view while keeping the main window as a GM view. This would eliminate the hassle and extra memory needed to either run two laptops or two instances of MapTool on a single laptop.

5 ) Ability to lift fog while moving rather than just after a move is confirmed.
A somewhat dangerous option in the hands of the players, but if movement limiting is also implemented, the potential for abuse could be limited. Mostly a personal request as it keep my players from constantly asking “Well why didn’t I see that guy before?”

6 ) Image Based LBL
Been discussed many times before. Simple B&W image showing the blocking areas that can be imported with the map to save all that setup time.

7 ) Card decks

8 ) Ability to color different visions different ways rather than one color for all visions.

9 ) Have vision extend an extra half tile out in all directions so that it doesn’t leave half-tiles unexposed. This is especially annoying with blocky vision and makes it unusable.

10 ) Token Grouping
For Passengers on ships, tank turrets, pretty much everything dLANbandit said.

11 ) Intellectual Property Protection
As it is now, anyone who connects to a maptool server that uses certain assets now has those assets. If you ever want commercial interests to take Maptool seriously this has to be addressed. Password protecting the zips, encrypting the files, or even a server option that tells clients not to save the data. Something.

12 ) 3D
:P Hey, seriously, someone had to say it. Ignoring the 3d tokens, how hard could manipulating a textured flat plane in a 3d space be? Tokens could be handled with doom style sprites.

-Vry (The VTT Tarrasque… Waking once every few months to terrorize the VTT industry.)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Good to see you vry :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Modular campaign files so individual sections can be loaded at will

Token grouping

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

-Character sheets with user defined macros

-GM tool/tree with info that can be sent to the players/chat (less typing for the GM), which leads to...
-ability to send pics and sound effects

-sequential movement/initiative

Throw in a card deck and we're set... ;)
Game On!

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

trevor wrote:
Cweord wrote: 'The Bag'
Do you mean the out-of-play token space ?
Yes and an area for character to keep images and note that could be picked up from the map. I belive that 'The Bag' was the term you were using for it.
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Hmmm, okay then (no particular order):

High Priority For My Group:
1. Vision and Light working correctly. You know what I mean.
2. Porting campaigns from v1.2 to v1.3.
3. Integration of InitTool and MapTool.

Lower Priority:
4. Marching Order for parties including "train" mode.
The guy in the green hat.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Being able to change direction at way points in movement, with expose last path using that vision direction.
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

Wow. I find myself wondering sometimes why X or Y hasn't been done yet. Because, I think of the items that I want most are about 1-8 items tops. But, now I see it painfully clearly. There are tons of really great things to work on and a ton of people with different opinions on what they think is most valuable.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

That is one of the reasons for this feature . . . . .

We get some choice in the matter
Cweord

-------
My Tokens Directory

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Is this going to turn into a poll at some point? Once one feature comes out the victor are we going to vote for second choice or will they be done in order of votes.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Glanrus
Cave Troll

Post by Glanrus »

Myself and another DM are working on the same series of modules, but our groups are running at different paces. It would be real nice to be able to save the maps with drawings and topology and maybe even tokens and tokenstates externally so that they could be pulled into an existing campaign as needed. That way as we built and populated maps we could export that map to a file and then send it to the other for incorporation in their campaign. This would also allow us to archive maps so that the campaign file doesn't just keep getting bigger and bigger.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote:Is this going to turn into a poll at some point? Once one feature comes out the victor are we going to vote for second choice or will they be done in order of votes.
Actually, I like pretty much everything that was posted, I think almost all of them have been discussed at some point.

I'll put together a simple Wall of Features page later tonight and let the fun begin :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

This is my list of items that I would love to see:
(order of importance)

1. Vision that interprets Light. I want to be able to have the Elves see light twice as well as those pesty humans. Now with Independent vision, this is possible. http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2221

2. Warp Points. Putting your token on a warp point and having the map change automatically while moving your token to the new location would ROCK! http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2211

3. 3D distance Readout. High level D&D games are in the air. To be able to tell the distance from that airborne PC/NPC to another would be awesome! http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2192&start=0

4. More Sub-Layers. I need more layers. There are too many reasons to state why. We need to create as many sub-layers as we need (Sub-layers being layers within Object, Background, Etc)

5. Dropping Shadows. Let's face it - maps made with the drawing tools look like... ummmmm... Well, you get the idea.. The reason why is because we cannot tell the difference between a wall or a floor. There is no depth to the walls. I need to be able to draw a wall and state that it has a shadow. Guess what? Everyone wills tart making their maps inside Maptool then.

6. Stamp Freesize (destructive). I don't know how to label this one so I am calling it destructive atm. Basically what we need to do is be able to use those HUGE stamps from Dundjinni, freesize them smaller to look nice on our grid50 map and have them NOT take up the gobs of memory anymore like when they were HUGE. So I figured a destructive size control - if we size it down, it sizes down (frees up lots of memory) like it would if you sized it down in Photoshop. Oh, don't try to size large after the fact - it will now pixellate. No big deal - I just don't want to have to resize all my artwork in Photoshop before I make a map. Gets old quick and wastes a lot of time. This feature will ensure memory maximization also.

7. Sound Throughout. If we are going to do it, let's do it right. http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2417

8. Player Notes. I want the players to be able to drop notes on the map, in every room if they want. These notes should be saved with the campaign because when they revisit the map after many months, it's all there. :)

9. Bag. Yeah, I love the idea of players having bags that they can save. They are seperate files outside of the campaign. All they do is drag their bag file to the map and the bag opens. Inside the bag can be all of their favorite gaming items: Tokens, Favorite Scripts, Favorite Dice (many of these features are not yet available), etc. Think of when you show up at a real gaming table - are you hands empty? ;)

10. Handouts. I would love a formal way to handout stuff to players and sends data files.

11. Community Notebook. A place for players to write down inventory or even write a journal as the game progresses. Again, one of those things we all bring to the game (face 2 face) but are unable to do in Maptool. Yeah, we have notepad and indepenent text apps but I want something that is shared and saved in the campaign.

12. Stamp hue, color, brightness, contrast, etc controls. Stamps come in all different colors. To make mapping even better, give us the ability to adjust the stamps. http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=1711.

13. Marquee Tool. I want to be able to make a stamp out of something I just drew a marquee around. This can be a valuable tool for those maps that someone else made and you want to hide certaint hings like traps. http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2743

I am having diffulty trying to remember all the features I requested over the last couple years. All I know is that Light and Vision is the most important feature of all time :)

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

All I know is that Light and Vision is the most important feature of all time
What he said... :wink:
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

Return to “Developer Notes”