How to get RPTools source via Eclipse and subversion

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

applekor wrote:OK, I give up.

I've got Eclipse running, but when I attempt to check out the repository, an authentication box pops up at about 66% progress as it is attempting to retrieve the /maptool/trunk/src/net/rptools/maptool/model/SightType.java file. Hitting "OK" on the box causes it to stop and report an authentication error.

Any ideas?
Hmmm, that's quite odd.

Try running it from the command line. Be sure to have SVN installed on your computer, then run this from a command shell:

svn co https://rptools.svn.sourceforge.net/svn ... tool/trunk maptool
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

applekor
Giant

Post by applekor »

Alright, I finally got it working...

I downloaded the command line svn and was able to checkout the files without any problems. Obviously, that proved that I wasn't having some kind of IP or router issue.

I suspected my Subversive install to be the issue. I attempted to uninstall that and then install Subclipse. That turned out to be a non-functioning disaster, so I started over from a fresh Eclipse install and reinstalled Subclipse.

I noticed somebody else in this post mentioned not being able to use the JavaHL adapter, so I decided to only install the SVNKit Adapter and Library. When that finished I again tried to perform a checkout. This time, it refused to find the \svnroot directory at the sourceforge server.

On a hunch, I uninstalled the SVNKit stuff and then installed the JavaHL Adapter. After I did that, I had no problems whatsoever performing checkout from within Eclipse.

At this point, I'm chalking the authentication issues up to Subversive, although it could have been the svn adapter I was using with it.

Right now, I'm in the process of trying to get everything to run fully portable from a JRE install on a USB stick under Vista x64.

Thanks for the help,

applekor

Micco
Giant

Post by Micco »

Is it just me, or is anyone else not able to update from or connect to the rptools svn repository?

I was able to fine up to now, but I can't connect via Eclipse, svn or https:. I get an error about "forcibly closed by the host machine" or something like that.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I imagine it is a sourceforge problem.

Code: Select all

RA layer request failed
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svnroot/rptools/maptool/trunk'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svnroot/rptools/maptool/trunk': Could not read status line: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.   (https://rptools.svn.sourceforge.net)

Micco
Giant

Post by Micco »

Okay. Thanks...I was worried they'd banned me for poor coding! :lol:

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Micco wrote:Okay. Thanks...I was worried they'd banned me for poor coding! :lol:
Heh, nope :)

sf.net has been the bane of our open source existence. We've been migrating everything off of it, the only thing left is the source code.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

DieHard
Kobold

Post by DieHard »

Hi, i try to install eclipse+subversion
i'm newbie of eclipse :) but i want to try 8)

my goal and be able to debugging maptool:)

this is my actual step installation

1) download eclipse-java-ganymede-win32.zip from
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/downlo ... -win32.zip
2) unzip in E:\eclipse
3) start eclipse
4) setting e:\eclipse\workspace
5) update eclipse package
from menu help->software updates...
tab install sofware
bottom update
6) add package SVNKit from http://svnkit.com/
help->software updates...
tab available software
Add site http://svnkit.com/
select option SVNKit Library
click on bottom install wait installation
7) add package SUBVERSIVE from here http://www.eclipse.org/subversive/docum ... nstall.php
help->software updates...
tab available software
Add site http://download.eclipse.org/technology/ ... date-site/
select from subversive SVN connector
JAVA HL 1.4.5 Win32 Binaries
JAVA HL 1.5.0 [RC5] Win32 Binaries
Native JAVA HL 1.4.5 Implementation
Native JAVA HL 1.5.0 [RC5] Implementation
Subversive SVN Connectors

8) ..... stop :)

how can i continue?
which project from subversion i have to download?
I installed most of those package I needed?
I need other packages?

thx

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

Hi,

I'm trying to build MapTools using eclipse. I am using the built-in ant in eclipse. It gets most of the way through the common-webstarts-target.xml directives, and then this shows up in the console:

[echo] Before signing
[signjar] Signing JAR: C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\eclipse\maptool\tmp\lib\BareBonesBrowserLaunch.jar to C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\eclipse\maptool\tmp\lib\BareBonesBrowserLaunch.jar as rptools

BUILD FAILED
C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\eclipse\common.build\common-webstart-targets.xml:197: Execute failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "jarsigner.exe": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

I did some searching around the net, and I have set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to c:\Progarm Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07 and I've added c:\Progarm Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\bin to my path.

Can anyone give me a hint what I'm missing?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

jarsigner is part of the standard JDK installation and should be in your JDK bin directory.

If it is and you get that error then your path is messed up.

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

Well, it is working this morning after another reboot. The file was there, and the path seemed to be working since I could run jarsigner from the command prompt from any directory, but I guess eclipse/ant disagreed or something... :lol:

Thanks!

Naryt
Dragon

Post by Naryt »

Lindharin wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to build MapTools using eclipse. I am using the built-in ant in eclipse. It gets most of the way through the common-webstarts-target.xml directives, and then this shows up in the console:

[echo] Before signing
[signjar] Signing JAR: C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\eclipse\maptool\tmp\lib\BareBonesBrowserLaunch.jar to C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\eclipse\maptool\tmp\lib\BareBonesBrowserLaunch.jar as rptools

BUILD FAILED
C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\eclipse\common.build\common-webstart-targets.xml:197: Execute failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "jarsigner.exe": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

I did some searching around the net, and I have set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to c:\Progarm Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07 and I've added c:\Progarm Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\bin to my path.

Can anyone give me a hint what I'm missing?
I simply commented out that portion of the target XML (can't look it up right now to tell you). I figure that since I'm just compiling for myself I don't want to worry about signing.
A wandering lost soul

JoeNotCharles
Kobold

Post by JoeNotCharles »

I'm a vi + make guy - is there any way to build and run from the commandline without using Eclipse? (I understand build.xml is for building a distributable package.)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Unless there is an ant target (main builds the redistributable version) I have not seen (I am not really an ANT person) that builds just the stuff needed to play, you will have to manually compile the class files needed and then launch using the appropriate classpath statements when calling the main jar that starts maptool.

I expect that everything under the src SVN folder is what needs to packed into the jar file, and if you look at the build.xml, it should tell you all the associated Jar files you need to reference when running.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

megaper
Kobold

Re: How to get RPTools source via Eclipse and subversion

Post by megaper »

Hi there,

I´m trying to add a new svn repository but I cannot connect to the specified host. Are the Host and the Repository path correct? (please, see screenshot) I think subversion is correctly installed because I was able to add the eclipse repository and check it out.

Please I really want to have a look at the code to learn java and maybe, in a not too far future, help in the development of this wonderful role playing tool! :D
Attachments
svnerror.JPG
svnerror.JPG (109.15 KiB) Viewed 15112 times

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: How to get RPTools source via Eclipse and subversion

Post by Azhrei »

That Host and Repository Path match what I have. (Well, it's close. I've actually limited the repository to just MapTool, so I have an extra /maptool/trunk on the end of mine, but yours should work.)

Return to “Developer Notes”