MT 1.3b57 Progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Re: MT 1.3b57 Progress

Post by Orchard »

Big_Mac wrote:To continue with the derailment. 4 is Fun and a lot of work. Trevor the main thing I found with 4 is that energy and time get reduced sharply. Plus you have 4 kinda close together. I have 2, 2 year apart then 4 years and 2 more. Not easier just planned that way.

Congrats and good luck.
All four of mine are approximately 2 years apart. My wife and I have recently broken the 2 year child production cycle, so we're actually pretty happy about this (Family planning is supposed to be easy, but for some reason it's never as simple as people make it sound...).
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

Micco
Giant

Post by Micco »

You know, I heard recently that they've discovered what causes babies...

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

It's happy that there is another youngster coming to the clan, Trevor, but I am happier that it is you than me :) (I got lucky and had one of each so I stopped.)
The Cyberwolfe
----------------
Them: "Name one thing a PC can do that a Mac can't!"
Me: "Right-click."

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Micco wrote:You know, I heard recently that they've discovered what causes babies...
http://www.xkcd.com/583/

Daniel
Giant

Post by Daniel »

palmer wrote:
Micco wrote:You know, I heard recently that they've discovered what causes babies...
You just wasted about two hours of paid time. Thank you ^^
"This web of time [...] embraces every possibility. We do not exist in most of them. In some you exist and not I, while in others I do, and you do not. [...] In yet another, I say these very same words, but am an error, a phantom."

J.L. Borges

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Daniel wrote:
palmer wrote:
You just wasted about two hours of paid time. Thank you ^^
The truth of the matter is that there is an XKCD relevant to pretty much every topic. Some of them just haven't been written yet (but I'm positive that they will be!!). That man is a mad genius.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

Congrats Trevor. As a father of a daughter, with my son months away, I have to say all the extra stuff you deal with becomes worthwhile when your child looks at you and says "I love you daddy." or any variation of that. The propagated lie that it gets easier, may not necessarily be a lie. I believe that after so many children theres "potentially" less for you to do, depending on the age of your other children and whether or not they are willing to help. Again that could just be my thoughts and nowhere near correct on an average basis. But I'm personally glad that my daughter is excited about her brother to be, and recently had the chance to hold a newborn (about 3 weeks) by herself (my daughter is only 26 months). Was something else, she sat so still holding the baby being so careful lol. Anyway no more of my prattling. Good luck with #4 Trevor.

edit - extra stuff includes the things like: the same Elmo or Pooh episode 10 times in a row, the same movie three times, and all the sticky, smelly stuff...you may question yourself then, but it's all worth it.
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Kid #4 has arrived ! A little girl ! (Details in a General Forum thread)

Slightly on topic, I've been tinkering with 3d engines. I think I've got a decent enough handle on it now. Although, as I've been learning, tinkering, and looking ahead, I'm not entirely sure having a VT in 3d is very practical. It's great for eye candy, but a lot of things become much trickier, such as fog, vbl, and even drawing tools (and not just from a technical perspective).
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

trevor wrote:Kid #4 has arrived ! A little girl ! (Details in a General Forum thread)
Congratulations!!
trevor wrote: Slightly on topic, I've been tinkering with 3D engines. I think I've got a decent enough handle on it now. Although, as I've been learning, tinkering, and looking ahead, I'm not entirely sure having a VT in 3d is very practical. It's great for eye candy, but a lot of things become much trickier, such as fog, vbl, and even drawing tools (and not just from a technical perspective).
A 3D engine is probably overkill for a VTT unless you really plan to make a fully 3d VTT.
Even if you wanted to provide an isometric view then you don't really want a 3D engine.

Something like OpenGL (via JOGL or LWJGL) is a different story though. If you are able to put the time into it you can get the graphics card to do your image composting (although you dont always want to do that) and calculations, but you would probably need to invest the time into learning OpenGL (or Cg) shading language (which really isnt that bad, as long as math doesn't worry you and you have a good grip on the other 3D concepts) for the calculations.

Even without a 3D engine representing things in 3D has some advantages (there is a lot more to 3D objects and 3D drawings), e.g. VBL can have height, and it doesn't require a large change to the VBL drawing tool, just the ability select a VBL "segment" and specify a height. Behind the scenes there is a little more to it, VBL lines become planes, hollow squares 4 planes, filled squares a cube. You can even use backface culling which 3D cards (even the horrid low intel ones) are very good at to perform "one way VBL".

Although its been quite a while I have some experience with 3D engines, OpenGL (I also did some tinkering with Cg a little more recently than that) so if you are still considering it or wanted to bounce some ideas of someone let me know.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Yeah. I still think using true 3D will be more hassle and take too much user creation ability away for not enough return. It could have possibilities for layers and such, but I still think 2D for images is a LOT easier for users to use.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

3D is easy to use. Neverwinter Nights 1. Case closed.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Or perhaps even a mix of the two? I understand some evil empire was working on something similar not too long ago, but the death star proved too complex to build. ;)
Last edited by RPMiller on Sat May 23, 2009 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Wouldn't that be sweet, the evil empire fails, but MT moves on to do both 2 and 3d . . .
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

cubeblue
Cave Troll

Post by cubeblue »

Jector wrote:Yeah. I still think using true 3D will be more hassle and take too much user creation ability away for not enough return. It could have possibilities for layers and such, but I still think 2D for images is a LOT easier for users to use.
Totally 100% agreed. Just in case it's helpful in the final tally :)
& So Forth a blog about dungeons & dragons & so forth. With a particular eye for virtual table-top play, 5e, and OSR themes.

osman
Giant

Post by osman »

... as someone that spends most of his day writing shader code and doing light + shadow in 3D (for console games) ... yeah. It's probably way overkill, and it's going to be very hard to get things to be nearly as robust as they are in 2D. The layered 2D approach is much more tractable in a tool where people are making their own dungeons.

Return to “Developer Notes”