My dungeon tiles

Threads for tilesets and background graphics made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks that users have made and offered to others, but specific to libraries of map-making tiles, objects, and backgrounds).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

torstan
Great Wyrm

My dungeon tiles

Post by torstan »

I've been putting together a set of dungeon tiles and textures that allow me to construct any dungeon quickly. It's organised into directories at the moment. I'll try to keep this thread up to date with new images.

The current zip has been moved to my site:
http://www.fantasticmaps.com/Downloads.html

Here's a screenshot of the tiles in use:

and another:

All the resources are also in the gallery here.

There's also a sample campaign file with the elements of the tiles. Click here to download it. The campaign was created using 1.3.b53.

So the instructions for using these are as follows.

1. Unpack the zip somehwere handy.
2. Add the root folder of the zip (TorstansDungeonTiles or whatever you want to rename it) to your resource library.
3. make sure you have a map with a grid setting equal to the scale of the tilepack you downloaded, either 100px or 50px.
4. Go to edit->Preferences and set the properties of background to Start Snap To Grid=On, Start Freesize=On.

Now to actually create the dungeon the best practice I've found is the following:
1. Start a new black map.
2. Paint in the floorplan with the paint tools, texture set to the repeating flagstone texture and using snap to grid rectangles or filled polylines. I also set there to be no line colour, but you can just as easily set the line colour to the repeating flagstone texture too.

Now with the floorplan painted, switch to the interaction tools (the arrow on the top toolbar) and make sure you have the background layer selected in the menu to the right.

3. Place any stairs you want on the map by dragging and dropping the images from the image library. Use shift-mousewheel to rotate the tiles by 90 degree increments.
4. Place a gradient (in the stairs and elevations folder) over the stairs to reinforce the direction they are going.
5. Place the walls.
6. Move to the object layer and place doors, lighting and so on.

As this places the items highest on the map last (the walls), it should automatically get the z-ordering of the images right. This can be a bit of a pain to fix otherwise.

Also, while doing this remember that you can get to pieces using the map explorer on the left. I hope that helps, if you have any more questions, post them in thios thread and I'll try to answer them quickly.

Also, please let me know if there are any obvious elements that are missing and I'll try to add them.
Last edited by torstan on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Mathemagician
Dragon

Re: My dungeon tiles

Post by Mathemagician »

Tortsan-

Thank you so much for this.

Some components I'd like to see are:
  • Doors (single, double, bars)
    An overlay to make some of the flagstones cracked
    Some sort of generic lighting fixed to the wall
    A set of spiral stairs
    Pillars

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

There's a library of set dressing and object that will include doors, light sources, rugs, chests, treasure etc. It's coming later. At the moment I am dealing with the fabric of dungeons. Pillars are a good call, as is the cracks overlay. I'll see what I can drum up.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Okay, had a moment to fiddle with this. Here's a screenshot with the new pillars, cracked flags. a water texture and a pit. The zip and the campaign file have been updated.

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

sweet!
Great work mate. Let me grab em and prep a dungeon or two then i'll see if i can drum up and ideas.

Mal
Mal

PillBox
Dragon

Post by PillBox »

Thats cool.

I was going to do something like this myself. Started it, but soon gave up.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

I've been meaning to do it for a while as I have a lot of bits in current maps that I should re-use. I've just never got round to breaking them apart and reorganising them properly. Now seems to be a good time for it.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Excellent work Torstan, thank you for sharing.
ImageImageImageImage

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Thanks. I've added some spiral staircase tiles to the pack.

Here's a screenshot

There are a number of different stair elements, but here are the basic ones:

The zip has been updated with all the new images.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Beautiful as always T! Question, what scale are you drawing all these at?
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

SWEET!!!

To echo RPMiller's question, what the ppi/scale on those?
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPMiller wrote:Beautiful as always T! Question, what scale are you drawing all these at?
He noted somewhere(here or at CG) that they were 50px/inch but he also has his own copies that are 100px/inch.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Thanks, Joe.

T, can you post the 100 px/in ones as well? I like things looking great even zoomed in. :)

ImageImage

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

These are all designed to snap to grid on a 50px grid. I have them at 100px too but they are all thrown into an unsorted folder right now. I'm keeping the 50px set organised in subdirectories (walls and pillars, stairs and elevations, floors, textures and so on). I'll do the same with the 100px versions when I'm done.

At the moment everything shoul snap to a 50px grid and rotate fine, apart from the 1 square wide walls and the 2 square wide stairs due to an odd/even split in the lengths of the side that throws snap to grid off after rotation. To fix that I have just added pre-rotated copies of these stamps to the file.

Please test these out and let me know if anything doesn't work or needs cleaned up. Equally if there are tiles that make no sense, let me know and I'll explain why they are in there. I've a few more to go, but the current version should give you enough to build most basic dungeons you need already.

Edit: Okay, I've added a zip of the 100px ones too - sorted properly just for you :) That will teach me for being lazy. The 100px tiles are here:
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/70519 ... xTiles.zip

I've also added a link to the beginning of the original post.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Now that is love. :wink: :lol: Thank you very much! :D

ImageImage

Return to “Tilesets/Graphics for Map-making”