My dungeon tiles

Threads for tilesets and background graphics made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks that users have made and offered to others, but specific to libraries of map-making tiles, objects, and backgrounds).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

torstan
Great Wyrm

Re: My dungeon tiles

Post by torstan »

The rectangle tool with snap to grid (especially with it set to Add to Selection) is just a quick way of creating a selection that represents corridors and rooms. The dragging a pattern to the window sounds like a good trick - thanks.

Zandari
Cave Troll

Post by Zandari »

You may have touched on this in the past 32 pages or so, but are you (or is anyone else) considering doing something like this for above non-stone structures? For instance, I am considering slapping together Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, and some log walls would be awesome.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

One request I have is for modern and sci-fi walls. :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Hmmmmm... might be more trouble than its worth... but what if someone setup a walls-set spec with a bunch of PS/Gimp files that had a layer with diagrams on how to set them up so they line up well. Just have a series of green / red rectangles to indicate the standards to ensure they line up.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

I have just such a template :) It's invaluable. I have had to rebuild images that didn't match up too many times. It's also a good way of making sure you've actually built all the elements that are necessary. As for other walls - well rough natural cavern walls will come before wooden interior walls, but I can certainly put them on the list. Sci-fi walls will probably be for someone else as my hand drawn style doesn't really lend itself to shiny futuristic maps.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

RPTroll wrote:One request I have is for modern and sci-fi walls. :-)
I have a small set of "industrial" walls - pretty much slapped together, but they are serviceable. Here's a sample map:
industrial.png
industrial.png (486.02 KiB) Viewed 8916 times
I don't want to derail this, but I can upload the files I have (I'm not planning to do much more with it, but it's free to a good home, as it were).

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

That would be great. Thanks!
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I'll put up a thread for them this evening.

syntruth
Giant

Post by syntruth »

torstan wrote:I have just such a template :) It's invaluable.
Torstan, would it be possible to get that template from you? I have some ideas for some wall styles and if I didn't have to figure out how to do what you did ('cause it rocks) I might be able to pump something out faster. :)

Threid
Kobold

Post by Threid »

I was looking for wall shadows to make my maps look nicer, and stumbled across your collection. I gave the zip a download to check it out, expecting to find a few well-made wall sections, shadows included. To my delight, I found a plethora of useful objects as well, all of them quality work, and most of them very likely to usurp the various objects I'd dug up in the Dundjinni forums. My hat is off to you for creating such a varied, useful collection.

Ikyoto
Kobold

Post by Ikyoto »

I'm an old school gamer - I've still got the boxed set of "chainmail". ;)

This is outstanding stuff. I was going to go through the trouble of rendering up sets and working them in photoshop till they were good enough to replace the actual tiles I've got under the table in a box.

Now? It's all going onto my laptop with the players getting a view from a seperate computer hooked to the 42" LCD screen! No more "he can't see me" or "well, I can shoot that far!". It's visual and easy to use... and now it looks as good as the maps I've been using for 30+ years!

Ok, it's not coffee and pizza stained and we don't have to use figurines that the cats think are new "bat it around when they aren't looking" toys.

Thanks. Seriously, this is adding a lot more fun to our games.
"Wait a minute. If you are a god and all powerful, why do you need worshipers?"
-the last thing Toff the Archer said before he was turned into a puddle of oil by a god.

wyrmwood
Dragon

Post by wyrmwood »

It's been a while since I first downloaded this tileset. Let me just say "wow!" I love your work Torstan. You've really bridged the gap between hand drawn maps that aren't as sophisticated and computer generated ones that are sterile and created a result with hybrid vigor.

Thanks for sharing!

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Apologies for the silence. It's been a while since I've been back here to check in.

@Syntruth: Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made the migration across from my old laptop to my new one (I went with a nice shiny new MacBook for those that are interested - they joys of educational discounts...). Anyway, I've knocked up another one and have included it here. It's really simple, but as long as the ends of each wall you create match up to the corners of the rectangles that are on the mask, you'll be fine. It's also worth creating one end of one wall to start with and using that to match every end section to so that the colours of each end piece are consistent and you don't end up with large colour variations that jar later on. I speak from bitter experience on that one!
BlankWalls.png
BlankWalls.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 8408 times
@Rumble: Nice stuff, like the style of those a lot.
@Threid, Ikyoto and Wyrmwood - thanks! I'm really pleased that these have come in so useful. I will be adding more items to the set, but I think I'm going to call the core of it done. I'll post to here whenever it gets a decent update with new items.

syntruth
Giant

Post by syntruth »

Excellent! Thanks, Torstan! :D

daedalusaf
Kobold

Post by daedalusaf »

I'm unable to access the downloaded zip torstan, even though it's a full download

Return to “Tilesets/Graphics for Map-making”