Map: Chasm and Ocean Overlook (Gridless)

Threads for tokens/libraries of complete ready to use game maps made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks users have made and offered to others, but specific to completed MapTool maps).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Map: Chasm and Ocean Overlook (Gridless)

Post by joshsziegler »

My first map in GIMP:

Chasm Overlook:
Update: I fixed the links and added a link to all of my maps.
Licence: Public Domain
Background: I'm using the chasm overlook as a sort of conversation spot out behind a prominent corporation's building. Think of the CEO or a salesman taking someone out here to marvel the view and try to make a pitch. There are two benches and a lit path to get back there. Note I'm using this on a planet almost entirely covered in arid desert, hence the chasm and sandy/brown grass. Also, the view, trees and grass are quite expensive so its a bit of a power display.

Advice and/or comments are welcome.

Updated 2012.8.31: Removed weird light post shadows per advice and made up "ocean" version.
Last edited by joshsziegler on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Map: Chasm Overlook (Gridless)

Post by aliasmask »

I like the blending you did. The shadows around lights seem weird with pole shadow going up. Instead of shadow, perhaps illuminate the ground more around lights. I would also give the building a big shadow to show depth. Oh, you know what.. that's not a roof. I would make each layer of steps solid or at least break up the uniformity so it looks more like steps (imo). I would also add a slight perspective slant to steps making the base wider. You may have to move the rock to left of stairs for that. Perhaps a small gradient along stairs where the bottom is slightly darker than the top step. I like the cliff edge overlay and the dirtied up tiles. I like the wall shadows, but if you add an offset shadow for the spines going to the center piece, it should add some more depth there.

I have some my creations here: http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/al ... hawkruins/

I feel more like a dabbler than an artist, so feel free to ignore me.

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Re: Map: Chasm and Ocean Overlook (Gridless)

Post by joshsziegler »

The shadows around lights seem weird with pole shadow going up. Instead of shadow, perhaps illuminate the ground more around lights.
After looking at it again, I heartily agree. I changed the original and updated my site. I chose to not illuminate the ground since I read somewhere on the forums people like to do their own illumination in MT which makes sense.
I would make each layer of steps solid or at least break up the uniformity so it looks more like steps (imo). I would also add a slight perspective slant to steps making the base wider. You may have to move the rock to left of stairs for that. Perhaps a small gradient along stairs where the bottom is slightly darker than the top step.
I like this idea, but the "overlook" isn't something I put together (it's from RPGMapShare/SteelRat: http://rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gall ... temId=5012). I could still modify it in GIMP, but I'm not sure it's worth the pay-off. I'd rather move on and do another map :)

I have some my creations here: http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/al ... hawkruins/
I like your style! What program(s) do you use? If you have any tutorials or videos of you creating them?

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Map: Chasm and Ocean Overlook (Gridless)

Post by aliasmask »

joshsziegler wrote:
I like your style! What program(s) do you use? If you have any tutorials or videos of you creating them?

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.
I use Paint Shop Pro 9 (it's an old version). I like paint shop pro's interface and tools, although I occasionally use Gimp 2.0 for some of its filter effects. I started using v7 way back when it first came out, tried v8 but they really messed up the interface. They returned to the old interface in v9 and I've never found I needed anything more beefy.

I only recently really discovered the use of the snap to grid which makes the technical drawing much easier, especially for dungeon layouts. When making maps I use a 100px grid and make sure the final image dimensions fit evenly on 100px grid. The key to making good maps is to have a good texture and object library, most of which I've gotten from dundjinni and cartographersguild as well as a smattering of other sites with opensource non-comercial images. I'm not very proficient with Gimp, but I believe it can probably do most of the things PSP can do. I never really needed to learn to use it where I find PSP to have more intuitive tools and controls. As I understand it, Gimp is an opensource version of photoshop (more or less).

Return to “Complete Maps”